Is Vegan Organic Farming Achievable?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Is Vegan Organic Farming Achievable?

Postby Lino » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 am

By going vegan you're depriving yourself from having some nutrients, like vitamin B12 or rich Omega 3 sources.
WIth B12, animals are the big source, and if you don't have dairy products in your diet you have to depend on vitamin supplements. With Omega 3, deep sea fish, for example, and not just nuts and some veggies. If you don't want to eat industrial pork, grow your own pigs or buy from a local pig grower.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tarkus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 am

Sorry Lino, but you can get Omega 3 from flaxseed oil, and vitamin B12 can be found in most beans, pulses and legumes. As for protein, there's plenty enough in most vegetables, and if anything, what you get from meat, if you have the right amount of vegetables, is surplus and bulk. If anything, the only thing you're likely to get from meat is fat, and anything more than 10% fat content is bad for you. You can also get calcium from most veg, and the old advice about getting calcium from milk is outdated- if anything, milk actually helps to remove calcium from bones, rather than add it. The casein, or milk protein, when dissolved in the blood, makes the blood more acid, so the body buffers this by using the calcium in the milk, plus what it can find in the body- which is from your bones. If you eat right, you won't need supplements- most of that advice used to primarily come from food industry sources that had interests in the meat, dairy and fishery industries. As the number of vegetarians and vegans has gone on the rise, more people have come to realise this.

Source of info is from the Forks Over Knives film and books, by Cladwell Esselstyn and T. Colin Campbell, also The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell.

Tarkus

Postby Lino » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 am

Oils from these things or beans are not enough. I always notice if someone's vegan, and I've been talking about it with some friends and we all agree. And vegans always have damaged skin and look much older due to lack of some protein or nutrients.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tarkus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Then those people you see aren't doing it properly, as there's more than enough nutrients in vegetables for us. If anyone wants to go on a vegan diet, they have to research it properly first- you can't just skip the meat off your plate, you have to balance your diet.

Tarkus

Postby funkyrake » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 am

Ok, the BFD about vegan composting is it involves recycled food scraps and yard waste, including
grass trimmings.
I love it that whole cities are going vegetable and fruit waste composting. I worked briefly for
a company which sold bagged compost shipped from way, way afar. Although I was proud
of them for composting recycled veggie and fruit waste collected from Costco, shipping compost
from hundreds of miles away is just not sustainable. But local recycling operations at dumps converting
plant waste to compost, then selling it to back to local households is great.
But the best is individual households making their own compost.
Vegan is the way to go but next best is adding chicken manure from local backyard free range chicken
operations or local small farms which practice free range humane farming.

funkyrake

Previous

Return to Views Of The World