The Paranormal...

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

The Paranormal...

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (but I really can not be arsed looking!).

I would just like to discover if anybody else on here has ever experienced anything paranormal?

I, myself, experienced many things as a teen, and I guess now I'm a bit older it's easy for me to be very sceptical about what happened (as we all tend to do as we get older), but I know, no matter how many times I refuse to believe the past, they did happen.

So, has anyone on here had any experiences, or is anyone here into spirituality, etc?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: The Paranormal...

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Hang on....
What do you mean by paranormal?

How can you talk of paranormal and spirituality yet at the same time reject the notion of a God and religion?

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:Hang on....

How can you talk of paranormal and spirituality yet at the same time reject the notion of a God and religion?

I agree. This sounds like a trick question.

Anyway, the answer is yes!

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 am

musicalprostitute wrote:Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (but I really can not be arsed looking!).

I would just like to discover if anybody else on here has ever experienced anything paranormal?

I, myself, experienced many things as a teen, and I guess now I'm a bit older it's easy for me to be very sceptical about what happened (as we all tend to do as we get older), but I know, no matter how many times I refuse to believe the past, they did happen.

So, has anyone on here had any experiences, or is anyone here into spirituality, etc?

A fair and interesting question.

I was fascinated by the paranormal as a child, and was very disappointed never to experience anything significant myself. Now I can look back and reflect on how my curiosity didn't venture deeply into the realms of pareidolia.

There was one incident though. My dad owned a full size replica skeleton, and in his infinite wisdom decided it should live in toddler Elessar's room. One night I woke up, saw Mohammed (he was from Saudi Arabia) scratch his head, and then I went back to sleep. I still don't know what happened. Clearly either my dad did it, or I dreamt it, but it felt very real and I can still picture it, and weirdly I wasn't scared, as I quite liked having him in my room watching over me.

Obviously this plastic collection of anatomical bone replicas didn't become animated, but that subjective experience that I had was 100% real. However I know that it must have been internally generated, or at least the chances of it being internally generated vastly outweighs the possibility that the skeleton came to life. We get older, we look back on these events, and while the experience will never chance, our explanations can and often should.

(In contrast my sister thinks her cat once said hello. I agree that the meow did sound like hello. But it was not a cat making the first step towards mastering human speech. It was a cat meowing. We continue to disagree on this one.)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 am

I think he means things you can't explain, rather than actually supernatural things, Lybbie and Inny. The most skeptical of people can have the experience, but assume it has a rational explanation. I hope that's what he means anyway. :P

It's interesting though. I have a weird story, not paranormal, as such, but weird.

When I was little I used to go here with my family:

This pub as you can see is very old, you can also hopefully see it's on a main road. It has a huge playground in the back, my parents used to take me and my siblings used to play almost every Sunday, through summer. I live about a mile away from here, it's on one of very few main roads in a small Brum town.

One summer we went, and it wasn't there. The building was gone and houses in it's place. My mom thought it was unusually fast development and looked it up in the phonebook to find out what had happened. It wasn't there, so she assumed it was just gone, very quickly, without us noticing.

It isn't, it's still there now, we found it again some years later and quite obviously, it's not been rebuilt, it never went anywhere. But it wasn't there. My dad has lived in the same town all of his life, we're talking about two square miles of town.

A few years later, my dad told this story to my uncle, expecting him to say yeah okay, you wandered around drunk and couldn't find a pub, whatever, as he too was a regular drinker there and would know if it had disappeared. Instead, my uncle said some years earlier he had arranged to meet a friend there, had arrived and found houses on the site instead. He drove back home and phoned his friend to rearrange as the Lyndon was not there anymore, and his friend said he was sitting in the Lyndon, waiting for him. He drove back, and it was there.

The only possible explanations as far as I can tell are, my parents and uncle are lying, which I know not to be the case, you don't. My parents made a mistake and my uncle made up a bizarre tale on being told about it...plausible but again, knowing the area, I know it's unlikely to the point of absurdity they were in the wrong place. I have never come up with a satisfactory explanation for this. There must be one, but I haven't found one.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 am

Just to be clear I am not jumping to any conclusions about the original question or original post of this thread. My questions are sincere. I do not think it was a trick question. Belle, he may or may not mean supernatural things but he did ask the question about spirituality. I am genuinely interested in his answers to my questions, no trickery or "snarkyness" intended at all.
Once he answers I will answer as to why I am so curious about his answers.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am

Belle Leisha wrote:I think he means things you can't explain, rather than actually supernatural things, Lybbie and Inny. The most skeptical of people can have the experience, but assume it has a rational explanation. I hope that's what he means anyway. :P

It's interesting though. I have a weird story, not paranormal, as such, but weird.

When I was little I used to go here with my family:

This pub as you can see is very old, you can also hopefully see it's on a main road. It has a huge playground in the back, my parents used to take me and my siblings used to play almost every Sunday, through summer. I live about a mile away from here, it's on one of very few main roads in a small Brum town.

One summer we went, and it wasn't there. The building was gone and houses in it's place. My mom thought it was unusually fast development and looked it up in the phonebook to find out what had happened. It wasn't there, so she assumed it was just gone, very quickly, without us noticing.

It isn't, it's still there now, we found it again some years later and quite obviously, it's not been rebuilt, it never went anywhere. But it wasn't there. My dad has lived in the same town all of his life, we're talking about two square miles of town.

A few years later, my dad told this story to my uncle, expecting him to say yeah okay, you wandered around drunk and couldn't find a pub, whatever, as he too was a regular drinker there and would know if it had disappeared. Instead, my uncle said some years earlier he had arranged to meet a friend there, had arrived and found houses on the site instead. He drove back home and phoned his friend to rearrange as the Lyndon was not there anymore, and his friend said he was sitting in the Lyndon, waiting for him. He drove back, and it was there.

The only possible explanations as far as I can tell are, my parents and uncle are lying, which I know not to be the case, you don't. My parents made a mistake and my uncle made up a bizarre tale on being told about it...plausible but again, knowing the area, I know it's unlikely to the point of absurdity they were in the wrong place. I have never come up with a satisfactory explanation for this. There must be one, but I haven't found one.

Here's my theory.
Old buildings often require renovation. Extensive scaffolding often has a facade put in front of it to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes it's a facade of what's underneath, or more increasingly, it's a massive advert.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Is there that much of a difference between the inexplicable, and the stuff that should be inexplicable, but gets explained with fairy stories, like a mysterious pregnancy, feeding 5000 with a couple of French sticks and a pair of pickled herring, meandering around on ponds, and a bloke disappearing from a cave when he's meant to be dead?

Things being in and out of phase with each other, is as good an explanation for "ghosts" and the many strange things happening, as anything you'd ever get from The Vatican, or Islam.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm not saying religion is bollocks, merely that maybe everybody should keep an open mind on ANYTHING that sits in the void between being proved either 100% scientific fact or 100% scientifically impossible. God and the paranormal are two such animals.

Personally, I don't believe in God (whichever form you want), I don't believe in ghosts, werewolves or vampires, and I don't go a bundle on people with super-powers either (from the flying abilities, or lack of them, related to red and green Kryptonite to Telekenesis and mind readers) but I'm quite open to being proved wrong on ANY of those counts.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Elessar wrote:
Here's my theory.
Old buildings often require renovation. Extensive scaffolding often has a facade put in front of it to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes it's a facade of what's underneath, or more increasingly, it's a massive advert.

Not bad, but you think we, and on a separate occasion my uncle, stood outside a facade covering scaffolding and thought they were real houses?

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Here's my theory.

Not bad, but you think we, and on a separate occasion my uncle, stood outside a facade covering scaffolding and thought they were real houses?

Yeah, it seems unlikely. Maybe a 1-in-1000 shot. But whatever paranormal explanation there may be - time travel or ghosts or pixies or elves or whatever - the chances of that are more like 1-in-1,000,000.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Elessar wrote:
Yeah, it seems unlikely. Maybe a 1-in-1000 shot. But whatever paranormal explanation there may be - time travel or ghosts or pixies or elves or whatever - the chances of that are more like 1-in-1,000,000.

I'd call it a 1 in a billion shot, in fact it's impossible, but you can't possibly know that. Well yeah exactly, taking it as fact it wasn't paranormal...still stumped for an explanation. It could be made up, we could have been in the wrong place, but it's not and we weren't. I'd love to know what actually did happen.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 am

I so knew this would be the predictable response from certain individuals!

To answer your question - I can talk about the paranormal quite easily as well as reject the stupidity of god/religion. There is nothing wrong with debating with others if something exists - I am not stating that it definately does, like the religious do; I just like to keep an open mind about it, and have had my own experiences.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:

I agree. This sounds like a trick question.

Anyway, the answer is yes!

Not a trick question at all - I don't play games like that. It is a genuine question.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 am

Elessar wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (but I really can not be arsed looking!).

A fair and interesting question.

I was fascinated by the paranormal as a child, and was very disappointed never to experience anything significant myself. Now I can look back and reflect on how my curiosity didn't venture deeply into the realms of pareidolia.

There was one incident though. My dad owned a full size replica skeleton, and in his infinite wisdom decided it should live in toddler Elessar's room. One night I woke up, saw Mohammed (he was from Saudi Arabia) scratch his head, and then I went back to sleep. I still don't know what happened. Clearly either my dad did it, or I dreamt it, but it felt very real and I can still picture it, and weirdly I wasn't scared, as I quite liked having him in my room watching over me.

Obviously this plastic collection of anatomical bone replicas didn't become animated, but that subjective experience that I had was 100% real. However I know that it must have been internally generated, or at least the chances of it being internally generated vastly outweighs the possibility that the skeleton came to life. We get older, we look back on these events, and while the experience will never chance, our explanations can and often should.

(In contrast my sister thinks her cat once said hello. I agree that the meow did sound like hello. But it was not a cat making the first step towards mastering human speech. It was a cat meowing. We continue to disagree on this one.)

Good post.

The only thing I disagree with you on is concerning changing our explanations about things that happened in our childhood, as we get older. You see, although there is a part of me that, as an adult, believes that; there is another part of me that believes that as children, because we are more open-minded - and not yet fully brainwashed by a sceptical society - we are more open to see things that we block out as adults. Of course, I am not talking about every magical/strange experience we all have as children, when our minds get lost in their imaginations (such innocent times!), but certain, crystsal-clear occurences that happen in front of our eyes.

Personally, I can say, hand on heart, that I had many experiences that today - as a reasonably intelligent adult -I still can not dismiss with my more sceptical, critical, closed mind. I know they happened; I just do not know why, or what was behind them.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Views Of The World