Charles: 'Climate change sceptics are turning Earth into dyi

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Charles: 'Climate change sceptics are turning Earth into dyi

Postby funkyrake » Fri May 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Give 'em hell, Prince Charles!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/0 ... ate-change
Charles: 'Climate change sceptics are turning Earth into dying patient'
Heir to throne intervenes on issue dividing coalition, making outspoken criticism of attempts to tackle global warming

Prince Charles has attacked corporate lobbyists and climate change sceptics for turning the Earth into a "dying patient", making his most outspoken criticism yet of the world's failure to tackle global warming just when the heir to the throne is assuming a growing number of the duties of what is supposed to be an apolitical monarchy.

Hosting a two-day conference for forest scientists at St James's Palace in London, the Prince of Wales satirised those who stand in the way of climate action, characterising them as "the confirmed sceptics" and "the international association of corporate lobbyists". Faced with these forces of opposition, "science finds itself up the proverbial double blind gum tree", he added.

At the debate on environmental issues, hours after the prince attended the Queen's speech, Charles attacked businesses which failed to care for the environment and compared them with a doctor taking care of a critically ill patient. "If you think about the impact of climate change, [it should be how] a doctor would deal with the problem," he told an audience of government ministers and diplomats from the UK and abroad, as well as businesspeople and scientists.

"A scientific hypothesis is tested to absolute destruction, but medicine can't wait. If a doctor sees a child with a fever, he can't wait for [endless] tests. He has to act on what is there."

see url for remaining article

funkyrake

Re: Charles: 'Climate change sceptics are turning Earth into

Postby Kes » Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 am

That's rich coming from a bloke who whenever he goes anywhere, and he IS quite well travelled, has his own medium sized airliner. F*cking great for the environment, that one. He has a carbon footprint like a pair of size 43 clown shoes!

In fact being realistic, his individual carbon footprint is probably something like about 10,000 times greater than the average human being.

And he wonders why Lizzie is hanging on in there?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Brianna May-Taylor » Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm not sure quite what to believe re global warming/climate change. Thinking about it how many MPs also sit on the board of companies that produce environmentally friendly products. Look at low energy light bulbs I've found out many of them contain mercury and aren't as environmentally friendly as they make out, however that said if I can car share with someone I will, the price of fuel makes it uneconomical not to share if you know of someone making the same journey as yourself. I recycle what ever I can, and have given my items I no longer have a use for and received the same from other people,my latest being a pushbike through my local Freecycle network, so I do try to reuse items if I can rather than have them go to landfill.

Brianna May-Taylor
Spread Your Wings

Postby funkyrake » Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Kes wrote:That's rich coming from a bloke who whenever he goes anywhere, and he IS quite well travelled, has his own medium sized airliner. F*cking great for the environment, that one. He has a carbon footprint like a pair of size 43 clown shoes!

In fact being realistic, his individual carbon footprint is probably something like about 10,000 times greater than the average human being.

And he wonders why Lizzie is hanging on in there?

Air and land travel are highly unsustainable. Can't be jet setting around the world OR outer space (which is really toxic in terms of rocket propellant material) and preaching climate change. So many of my activist friends travel incessantly. I don't. My transportation mode is a Felt bicycle and I go only where it takes me. But Charles and the other 7 billion humans will not just bicycle. Humans are deeply addicted to cars, trucks, space ships, jets, drones, huge cruise liners, and trains, all which will be the demise of the planet if we don't recreate sustainable transportation that takes into account distance and spatial distribution needed for vehicles. For instance a 40 foot bus carrying 40 commuters takes up 40 linear feet on the road. If these commuters drove vehicles as single users, that distance would be at least 400 feet in 10 foot long cars but really 1200 feet per person. Therein lies the problem of traffic gridlock. Jet travel is clogging the skies and becoming dangerous. And the fuel issue...

funkyrake

Return to Views Of The World