Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 pm

*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*
 
FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

      
 
Posts: 3885
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 411 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 pm

*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*
 
FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

      
 
Posts: 3885
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 411 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby icy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Live from ABC...
http://abcnews.go.com/live
ETA~ BBC & CNN are doing great coverage as well, that's what I'm watching right now.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Montavilla » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 am

RIP.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy
 
Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Fizzle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 am

How sad. :-( May he rest in peace.
Image
 
Fizzle
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1065
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: The John Deacon Appreciation Society
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Virgine » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 pm

R.I.P :(
Inside my heart is breaking
My make -up will be flaking
But my smile still stays on
 
Virgine
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Promite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Dr. Brian May ‏@drbrianmay 16m



… 46664 - My tribute to Nelson Mandela live at Green Point Stadium Cape Town Nov 2003. Farewell Madiba.
 
Promite
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:28 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Tarkus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 pm

I thought he was brilliant in The Shawshank Redemption, but he let himself go a bit when Bruce Almighty came out... :lookround:
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:14 am

Even worse in those insurance ads.

Anyway, it's still a mixed bag for me. Even though I know he was the catalyst that stopped South Africa turning into a total bloodbath at the end of apartheid, he was still in charge of the ANC when they were planting bombs, and doing made to order hits on people. A few dark weeks in an otherwise inspirational and admirable lifetime.

Apartheid needed getting rid of, and after massacres like Sharpville and Soweto, where the Police were excessively heavy handed, then I guess they felt their options to protest were limited.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14927
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby EaP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Kes wrote:Anyway, it's still a mixed bag for me. Even though I know he was the catalyst that stopped South Africa turning into a total bloodbath at the end of apartheid, he was still in charge of the ANC when they were planting bombs, and doing made to order hits on people. A few dark weeks in an otherwise inspirational and admirable lifetime

Apartheid needed getting rid of, and after massacres like Sharpville and Soweto, where the Police were excessively heavy handed, then I guess they felt their options to protest were limited

hard to disagree with that. no indigenous population likes to be invaded by and dictated to by a minority
 
EaP
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm also aware that at the point whites colonised South Africa, the biggest population was the Zulus well to the North. The Boers then drew the indigenous population into that territory, by giving/offering them slightly less shitty livings than the ones they'd previously been suffering from.

That was the white South African's argument, anyway.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14927
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby JLP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:28 pm

EaP wrote:
Kes wrote:Anyway, it's still a mixed bag for me. Even though I know he was the catalyst that stopped South Africa turning into a total bloodbath at the end of apartheid, he was still in charge of the ANC when they were planting bombs, and doing made to order hits on people. A few dark weeks in an otherwise inspirational and admirable lifetime

Apartheid needed getting rid of, and after massacres like Sharpville and Soweto, where the Police were excessively heavy handed, then I guess they felt their options to protest were limited

hard to disagree with that. no indigenous population likes to be invaded by and dictated to by a minority


indeed as happened in 1066. :P
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11437
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby EaP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:08 pm

JLP wrote:
EaP wrote:
Kes wrote:Anyway, it's still a mixed bag for me. Even though I know he was the catalyst that stopped South Africa turning into a total bloodbath at the end of apartheid, he was still in charge of the ANC when they were planting bombs, and doing made to order hits on people. A few dark weeks in an otherwise inspirational and admirable lifetime

Apartheid needed getting rid of, and after massacres like Sharpville and Soweto, where the Police were excessively heavy handed, then I guess they felt their options to protest were limited

hard to disagree with that. no indigenous population likes to be invaded by and dictated to by a minority


indeed as happened in 1066. :P

har de har har, well done

I wasn't expecting that :woot:
 
EaP
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Neither was Harold.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14927
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Nelson Mandela critically ill in hospital

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Anyone see that Tony Robinson special on that?

It appears William the Conqueror was the Rupert Murdoch of his day. F*ck history, let's just record and publish what sounds good for the image.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14927
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests