Edward Snowden

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Edward Snowden

Postby funkyrake » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Statement by Edward Snowden to human rights groups at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport

http://wikileaks.org/Statement-by-Edward-Snowden-to.html

I voted for Obama. Not proud of it since he seems to be executing Bush's pet projects
and seems a bit too cozy with the conservative patriot act arm of the repug party.

Anyway, Snowden appeals to the countries of the world to let him travel.
"...I announce today my formal acceptance of all offers of support or asylum I have been extended and all others that may be offered in the future. With, for example, the grant of asylum provided by Venezuela’s President Maduro, my asylee status is now formal, and no state has a basis by which to limit or interfere with my right to enjoy that asylum. As we have seen, however, some governments in Western European and North American states have demonstrated a willingness to act outside the law, and this behavior persists today. This unlawful threat makes it impossible for me to travel to Latin America and enjoy the asylum granted there in accordance with our shared rights.

This willingness by powerful states to act extra-legally represents a threat to all of us, and must not be allowed to succeed. Accordingly, I ask for your assistance in requesting guarantees of safe passage from the relevant nations in securing my travel to Latin America, as well as requesting asylum in Russia until such time as these states accede to law and my legal travel is permitted. I will be submitting my request to Russia today, and hope it will be accepted favorably...."

funkyrake

Postby Simon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:52 am

LittleBabyNothing wrote:The EU should have sent out a stronger message to the US government.

You simply do not spy on allies and friends like this.

Indeed. German's minister of the interior just defended the whole spying activity. Laughable.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby funkyrake » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Simon wrote:
LittleBabyNothing wrote:The EU should have sent out a stronger message to the US government.

You simply do not spy on allies and friends like this.

Indeed. German's minister of the interior just defended the whole spying activity. Laughable.

They all spy on each other. Obama probably played this card to Russia's Putin who went fom middle finger
to Obama to stroking his beard in support of the U$. Alot at stake here, militarily and big business such as
the current anti-Monsanto frenzy. $pying captures it all.

funkyrake

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 am

:geek: To spy or not to spy, thats the question.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 am

liberty.jpg

Thought I share an illustration from a weekly newspaper in Germany...
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby funkyrake » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Certainly not as exciting as badgers, but the Greenwald arm of Snowden case heats up.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/18/glenn-greenwald-guardian-partner-detained-heathrow

funkyrake

Postby funkyrake » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Bye bye Guardian from the UK. New York, here they come! Treat them well!!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/19/david-miranda-schedule7-danger-reporters

:onfire:

funkyrake

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23784288

In the words of Alan Partridge:

"...those guys out there - whether they're disabling landmines, driving tanks or photographing inmates - are all heroes."

Hmmm. Indeed.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Previous

Return to Views Of The World