SOPA again: felony for streaming, uploading, youtubes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

SOPA again: felony for streaming, uploading, youtubes

Postby funkyrake » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 am

funkyrake

Re: SOPA again: felony for streaming, uploading, youtubes

Postby julymorning » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 am

See, I don't get this^^^^^^^. Don't artists realize that a portion of their revenue comes indirectly by what is seen on youtube? Believe me, it's official releases on there aren't enough.

I would not have known, maybe ever, that there was a Brian May Band if I had not seen uploads on youtube. And because of seeing them and loving what I saw I purchased (on amazon) a cd, cassette tape, and a DVD and 2 more DVDS elsewhere. Nor would I have been convinced I could actually like Queen w/PR, and purchase 2 of those DVD's on line.
It's not just Queen videos (from Queen official and others), but several other artists seen on youtube that's spurred me to buy their recordings.

I would not, nor would many many thousands of others, see/hear the Queen Extravaganza concert videos that had been uploaded by concert goers and KNOW paying to see them live was a very good thing to do!

I myself uploaded my footage from being there, and 2 of them have NOT been marked "third party content". As a matter of fact one of mine was chosen and used as best video of that particular song and because of that it's been seen by upwards of 8,000 people from all over the world. Others taken at the Canadian concerts have had 2-3 times that many views.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 am

:agreepost: Agreed, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen a video on YouTube and then gone out and bought the album/film/whatever as a DIRECT result of what I'd watched, and 90% of those videos were NOT official.

Just recently, I listened to When Death Calls by Black Sabbath because I knew Brian did a guest spot on it, and I ended up buying the album. I can pretty confidently say I never would've done that if I hadn't heard it on YouTube first.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm

The Brian May Band have never released any DVDs, so having three of them doesn't really help Brian any, does it?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby funkyrake » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:51 am

And in 2011, this
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20074637-261/prince-compares-web-piracy-to-carjacking/
This is an artist who hates having anyone download a youtube of any of his performances, singles,
or aalbums. NPG 'police' will remove youtubes posted on facebook and will often send notices to
'promoters' posting youtues or soundclouds.

Question is, what all did he and Mr. Obama talk about?

funkyrake

Postby julymorning » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:36 am

Kes wrote:The Brian May Band have never released any DVDs, so having three of them doesn't really help Brian any, does it?

You can be such an unpleasant soul sometimes, can't you?

I did say I'd also purchased a CD and cassette from Amazon of the same concert(s). Did he or did he not get money from those? I SAW the video footage on youtube and LISTENED to the songs as he played them and wanted to own my own copies of the footage because I enjoy SEEING an artist such as Brian May and the rest (such as Cozy Powell) perform the music much more than just listening.

Therefore I WOULD HAVE purchased legit copies (in SOME form) had they been available.

To deprive the general public of these opportunities doesn't really help Brian (May) any either, does it?

Maybe I should just go back to lurking and keep my comments to myself, since people I previously respected in here have to pick at me. :angry:
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am

julymorning wrote:You can be such an unpleasant soul sometimes, can't you?

How is he IN ANY WAY being unpleasant? He just pointed out something that's completely true.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby julymorning » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
julymorning wrote:You can be such an unpleasant soul sometimes, can't you?

How is he IN ANY WAY being unpleasant? He just pointed out something that's completely true.

No, it's not completelytrue at all. How does he know that I didn't take these concert copies to someone else's home that doesn't have/use a computer to see what's on youtube or elsewhere; and therefore by him being introduced to the Brian May Band because of me buying and sharing he too puchases cd's for his personal use.

So I got carried away listing my acquisitions because of what I'd seen on youtube, it doesn't negate the fact that unofficial uploads are beneficial to artists. Was it necessary to make a post to belittle me?

I have nothing to say about profiteering that is undoubtedly done with youtube, the videos I uploaded from the concert I attended were put there for the enjoyment of others and help publicize the band. I don't even have an ad agreement with youtube, let alone try to sell bootleg copies.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:37 pm

His point was, the Brian May band has never officially released a DVD of anything, so any DVD you bought wouldn't have been an official product.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm with Leigh on this one. Whilst you tube might be a useful tool for people to discover new music, there are some people who will no doubt use it to make profit from other people's art.. At the end of the day, that is theft.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm

If I was a new fan, I'd have read that statement and trawled the Internet for a couple of hours looking for Brian May DVDs.

I've also had the pleasure of actually being at a few of the concerts the band did, one of which WAS filmed, but so far remains unreleased. So maybe my desire for such a product "could" be accentuated.

I was pointing out a fact, where information that July Morning posted was at very least, misleading.

Is my soul unpleasant for doing that? Obviously it depends on whether you believe incorrect info should be just taken in, and allowed to propagate, creating an urban legend, or whether it should be straightened out before it has the chance to do that. I wasn't being in ANY way malevolent, just stating fact in a clear, brief, and concise manner. Unfortunately, sometimes when we get corrected, we take it as a personal assault, even if no malice was ever intended.

As it sits, I have a few DVDs of The Brian May Band. Live at Brixton Academy, VH-1 semi acoustic, Live somewhere in South America, and Live at the LA Forum. None of which I've physically bought, as I've either transcribed them myself from VHS, TV broadcasts, etc, or my friends have. As far as I'm aware, that isn't in prospect of being illegal, as the only reason I EVER use a VHS player these days, is to transfer my old videos to DVD for personal use.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 pm

As regards to the "How does he know...?" bit.

I know that nothing by The Brian May Band is currently on hard copy catalogue anywhere in the world, so the potential of anyone seeing a youtube clip and building their collection by buying a first generation revenue copy, is at the very least, not made easy, and buying a second hand item, or stocked copy is at very least, a pretty expensive exercise.

I'd still like to know how the original statement "belittles" anyone.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:59 am

So what this means is every single youtube video of EVERYTHING has to be pulled down off this website, including from the beloved *cough* Thunder thread. :lol:

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 am

You then start getting into what the law is, wherever the so-called offence is taking place.

Queenonline, and the servers and the people who run it, are based in England.

YouTube and Google, AFAIK are based in California, so if Obama gets this piece of law through, it'll be up to him and his administration to act on the things that are "going on" in his territories, and not just lauch Tomahawk cruise missile strikes against the countries who might take a while to catch up.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Innuendoes

Next

Return to Views Of The World