Distribution of wealth

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Distribution of wealth

Postby Loretta » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:20 am

Innuendoes wrote:I watched the 1st minute of that and don't have time to watch it all right now. Do you have problems with minimum wage being raised?

You don't have time to watch the rest of it, but you still have time to comment, and question somebody?

I took a little bit of time and watched the rest of it... thank god you didn't, because there was some religious stuff in there. It would have really been awful for you.

Loretta
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:11 am

Loretta wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:I watched the 1st minute of that and don't have time to watch it all right now. Do you have problems with minimum wage being raised?

You don't have time to watch the rest of it, but you still have time to comment, and question somebody?

I took a little bit of time and watched the rest of it... thank god you didn't, because there was some religious stuff in there. It would have really been awful for you.

That's right. I left and came back home, tried to watch it again and cringed because it's the kind of program I refuse to watch on TV, let alone watch on a video. But the topic is one that is very strong over here right now and that is the right to raise the minimum wage from 7.25 or so, per hour to up to 15.00 per hour, depending on where people are protesting and a hell of a lot are protesting against it. I asked her if she was against it. I don't need to watch the whole thing and I won't. Yech.

Innuendoes

Postby Tarkus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Tarkus

Postby Elessar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't think capitalism makes that claim. Those with the most saleable assets become richest. It's very much like natural selection. There's absolutely no reason why what we feel 'should' happen will happen. The most intelligent get selected against in most environments for various reasons. In most frameworks, intelligence is highly valued by mankind but not by much else, including evolution and economics.

Elessar

Postby Promite » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 am

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Promite » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm

How the super rich exploit loopholes to keep themselves super rich.
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/1 ... preschool/

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Tarkus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 am

Tarkus

Postby Promite » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Is there any other country that does this? :huh:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/0 ... ity-taxes/

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Sir Knute » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 am

This is a subject I have been getting into quite a bit lately. In my communications class last semester, we had to write a research paper for our final on a subject of our own choosing and I chose worker owned cooperatives as part of a solution to the systemic and growing problems of market capitalism and wealth inequality. America is in the throes of a jobless recovery where corporate profits are soaring, yet wages are stagnating (or even reversing) and good jobs are growing more scarce. Economic injustice, ecological devastation and democracy itself being undermined are all intimately tied to the widening gap of wealth inequality..

The good news is that people are waking up. I believe we are poised on a historical precipice not unlike the time when Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake. Only on a global scale. The effects are being felt everywhere. Not just the States. I came across this article today in regards to Britain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/world ... world&_r=0

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Knute » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 am

Promite wrote:How the super rich exploit loopholes to keep themselves super rich.
http://thinkprogress.org/eco.nomy/2013/ ... preschool/

Good article. Here's a good one from a man I have been reading a lot from lately. He goes a little into how towns and cities wanted to use eminent domain to save people from losing their homes to foreclosure. To keep them from becoming homeless and stabilize the local property values, but the banks...yes, the criminal banks that propagated the housing crisis in the first place and the same sons-of-bitches that were bailed out with taxpayer money because they were"too big to fail" have managed to block it all. Sickening.

http://rdwolff.com/content/capitalism-a ... nd-lessons

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby Promite » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Sir Knute wrote:
Promite wrote:How the super rich exploit loopholes to keep themselves super rich.
http://thinkprogress.org/eco.nomy/2013/ ... preschool/

Good article. Here's a good one from a man I have been reading a lot from lately. He goes a little into how towns and cities wanted to use eminent domain to save people from losing their homes to foreclosure. To keep them from becoming homeless and stabilize the local property values, but the banks...yes, the criminal banks that propagated the housing crisis in the first place and the same sons-of-bitches that were bailed out with taxpayer money because they were"too big to fail" have managed to block it all. Sickening.

http://rdwolff.com/content/capitalism-a ... nd-lessons

'The system's imperatives to profit, compete and grow are now so costly to so many that its critics and opponents are multiplying fast. Once they confront and solve the problem of politically organizing themselves, social change will happen fast, too.'

The only problem is that here in America, voter suppression together with 'Americans for Prosperity' funding is delaying and in some cases successfully blocking any social change. Democracy is just not working in the world's greatest Democracy.

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Promite » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:12 pm

How the Republicans gave the rich a huge tax cut then increased taxes on the poorest to pay for it in North Carolina.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/0 ... hike-poor/

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Pingu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 pm

The problem is, now more than ever in the post-industrial age, that any social or economic change moves forward at a glacial pace, if at all.
Sir Knute wrote:
The good news is that people are waking up. I believe we are poised on a historical precipice not unlike the time when Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake. Only on a global scale. The effects are being felt everywhere. Not just the States. I came across this article today in regards to Britain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/world ... world&_r=0

I wish I shared your optimism that change is coming. Here in the UK the austerity measures are kicking in to an alarming extent and almost every day the PM or Chancellor is announcing more cuts, harsher curbs on spending and more and more hurdles for the low paid or unemployed to jump. Meanwhile housing prices are rocketing, private landlords are beginning to reject anyone on housing benefit (this includes the lower waged who may be claiming a top up) and councils are starting to move the poor out of their long term homes in certain areas of central London because they (the councils) can't afford to pay the inflated costs of rent which private landlords are charging.

At the same time our Government is now threatening to leave Europe unless we are given veto over various parts of the EU treaty. The Chancellor is concerned that Europe is economically lagging behind the likes of India and China, who we should be emulating. That's right, two of the most exploitative and notoriously under-regulated employment systems in the developed world, and our chancellor thinks we should aim to be more like them. I seriously think they are hoping for a return to Victorian era society, with millions scraping a living in menial, impoverished work, driving an economy for the benefit of the wealthy, the powerful and land and property owners, with the poor and wealthy geographically and socially divided.

So I wonder where the resistance to this insidious development will come from. People are politically disengaged. The opposition parties are either toothless (Labour), in cahoots with the coalition (Lib Dems), slavering one-policy nutters (UKIP) or too small to make any impact.

The only way genuine social change happens is when the people rise up and say "no". It happened with the civil rights movement in America and with the Poll Tax riots in the UK. OTOH the anti Iraq war demonstrations, which were immense, were utterly ignored. The reason why, I am almost certain, is that the stakes were too high and there were too many vested interests, not to mention revenge-hungry neocons n power, for that war not to go ahead.

I'm rambling a bit but my fear is this. The stakes are now so high, and power and wealth is so extraordinarily concentrated at the top, and the influence and string pulling available to these top enders is so embedded and far reaching, that there is no way these people are going to let the status quo budge an inch. They will have the army on the streets before any kind of effective wealth distribution kicks in.

Sorry this has ended up like a blog! I've maybe been reading the papers (and John LeCarre novels) too much lately. Anyway, I wonder where you guys think a real change might come from.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Promite » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm

An excellent paper from Oxfam on Income inequality and politics;

http://www.oxfam.org/en/policy/working- ... inequality

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Promite » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Michele Bachmann, the female face of the Republican party on income inequality. Quoting a comment;

'Good gods. She really DOES believe American women are morons.'

Promite
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World