Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 pm

If I worked in the NHS, I'd probably plan to leave for a year after my initial 2 years and work in New Zealand for a bit, and then I'd either decide to stay there, or would come back to the UK for a training job.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 pm

icy wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Give it 50 years. When the majority of people die in their 90s and 100s following two decades of slow decline into dementia, people will say they hope they have a heart attack or get cancer and die relatively quickly.

I wouldn't hope any of that on anyone. None of it is a pain free way to die.
As for being scared of dying, I am, but illness/pain scares the crap out me even more.


I'd take 2 years of cancer over 20 years of dementia in a heartbeat.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby icy » Mon May 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Elessar wrote:
icy wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Give it 50 years. When the majority of people die in their 90s and 100s following two decades of slow decline into dementia, people will say they hope they have a heart attack or get cancer and die relatively quickly.

I wouldn't hope any of that on anyone. None of it is a pain free way to die.
As for being scared of dying, I am, but illness/pain scares the crap out me even more.


I'd take 2 years of cancer over 20 years of dementia in a heartbeat.

Points to ponder on that's for sure. I'm biased as you can imagine, so not sure what I'd take.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 17034
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 601 times

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Innuendoes » Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 pm

My dad's cousin had dementia. I was her legal guardian and we had to put her in a nursing home because neither I or my brother could care for her. She didn't remember us at all and wouldn't speak.

I remember seeing all the other dementia patients in the nursing home. I remember one woman was tied down to the bed because she just screamed and wailed all the time, non stop, that someone she knew or was related to was dead. She just kept screaming "omg, so and so is dead!" over and over, all day. No way would I even wish that kind of thing on my worst enemy. The horrors that must have been going through that woman's mind, day and night until she died. May have been years for all I know.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Weird that she was screaming in txtspk.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby icy » Tue May 27, 2014 1:18 am

Innuendoes wrote:My dad's cousin had dementia. I was her legal guardian and we had to put her in a nursing home because neither I or my brother could care for her. She didn't remember us at all and wouldn't speak.

I remember seeing all the other dementia patients in the nursing home. I remember one woman was tied down to the bed because she just screamed and wailed all the time, non stop, that someone she knew or was related to was dead. She just kept screaming "omg, so and so is dead!" over and over, all day. No way would I even wish that kind of thing on my worst enemy. The horrors that must have been going through that woman's mind, day and night until she died. May have been years for all I know.

I'm sorry, I forget if you told me if this was years ago or not?
Hopefully care for patients with it has improved in the last few years. I've read some terrible stories what can go on in homes for people with dementia.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 17034
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 601 times

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Innuendoes » Tue May 27, 2014 2:06 am

Elessar wrote:Weird that she was screaming in txtspk.
I HAVE to spell out every single word? Your rules?

What do you mean?
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Innuendoes » Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 am

icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:My dad's cousin had dementia. I was her legal guardian and we had to put her in a nursing home because neither I or my brother could care for her. She didn't remember us at all and wouldn't speak.

I remember seeing all the other dementia patients in the nursing home. I remember one woman was tied down to the bed because she just screamed and wailed all the time, non stop, that someone she knew or was related to was dead. She just kept screaming "omg, so and so is dead!" over and over, all day. No way would I even wish that kind of thing on my worst enemy. The horrors that must have been going through that woman's mind, day and night until she died. May have been years for all I know.

I'm sorry, I forget if you told me if this was years ago or not?
Hopefully care for patients with it has improved in the last few years. I've read some terrible stories what can go on in homes for people with dementia.

No, I didn't tell you about it. The behavior of the people in that nursing home had nothing to do with the treatment of their dementia or how they were treated by the staff.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby icy » Tue May 27, 2014 2:26 am

Innuendoes wrote:
icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:My dad's cousin had dementia. I was her legal guardian and we had to put her in a nursing home because neither I or my brother could care for her. She didn't remember us at all and wouldn't speak.

I remember seeing all the other dementia patients in the nursing home. I remember one woman was tied down to the bed because she just screamed and wailed all the time, non stop, that someone she knew or was related to was dead. She just kept screaming "omg, so and so is dead!" over and over, all day. No way would I even wish that kind of thing on my worst enemy. The horrors that must have been going through that woman's mind, day and night until she died. May have been years for all I know.

I'm sorry, I forget if you told me if this was years ago or not?
Hopefully care for patients with it has improved in the last few years. I've read some terrible stories what can go on in homes for people with dementia.

No, I didn't tell you about it. The behavior of the people in that nursing home had nothing to do with the treatment of their dementia or how they were treated by the staff.

I hope it didn't come across that I was implying that, because it's not what I meant. Sorry.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 17034
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 601 times

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Innuendoes » Tue May 27, 2014 2:46 am

Not exactly and nursing homes do have a reputation for treating people in a horrific manner. I just wanted to make sure that people didn't think that was the case in this one.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby icy » Tue May 27, 2014 2:50 am

Innuendoes wrote:Not exactly and nursing homes do have a reputation for treating people in a horrific manner. I just wanted to make sure that people didn't think that was the case in this one.

It didn't come across that way to me in your post.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 17034
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 601 times

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Tarkus » Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 am

Elessar wrote:
icy wrote:
Elessar wrote:It just seems to me like one of the complaints in this thread is that waiting lists are too long, and another is that doctors aren't sufficiently rested.

Can anyone think of a way that doctors could get through waiting lists faster, get more sleep, and maintain the same standard of care, or perhaps a higher standard of care? As far as I can tell, it would be quite literally impossible.

IMO, more money for health care so more doctors, nurses, specialists, technicians, all around health care workers can be hired.
At least in Canada, I feel it would go a very long way to improve things.


Well yes, that's the only real solution, and it's far more complicated than simply creating more medical school places, as doctors of all grades are needed. Given that the workforce is likely to always be understaffed (certainly in the UK), I think service-users should be educated (starting right back at primary school) on how to behave appropriately, because they play a huge role in the efficiency of the system. People who chose medicine aged 16 because they had starry-eyed ambitions to help people and be an all round do-gooder can become rapidly disillusioned when people are whinging at them for a whole host of things that aren't their fault. You say "I'm sorry" enough times and you start to genuinely feel like you must be a bad person. Morale in the NHS is chronically low and the service-users are just as much to blame as the government.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -illnesses


With respect, referring to patients as 'service users' is part of the problem. The 'service users' used to be referred to as patients, which makes them look more like people and less like statistics, which I think is half the battle. Maybe some people do need educating, but not because they don't know how to treat health care workers properly- I'm willing to bet that for those individuals, they don't know how to treat anyone properly. Sometimes, people are just cunts.

But also, healthcare professionals must remember that when people are sick or unwell, they tend to react badly- think on how injured animals lash out through fear. My main gripe, when I was relating my experience, wasn't that 'the NHS is so bad that no Doctors get enough sleep'; as I have said, I was trying to come to terms with suddenly not being healthy any more, and having to deal with a life-threatening illness that, thanks to previous family experiences, looked to me like time was very rapidly running out. I was about to undergo an operation- which I know is routine, but nevertheless scared the fuck out of me because of what it entailed- in which someone was about to stick a tube into a major artery, and push it in until it reached my heart. I was more afraid that due to the routine-ness and the lack of sleep in the guy doing it, he might make a mistake that could at best give me a heart attack, or at worse kill me by stopping my heart or making me bleed to death. With the incident in the other theatre involving a clean-up and memorial service, this played on my imagination to make it work overtime, so those fears became very real when I learned of the guy's lack of sleep.

I don't blame him and never have done, and I certainly haven't been nasty to any of the specialists, my GP or my physiotherapist over the last few years. (My physiotherapist and GP especially have been very understanding and genuinely lovely people who have listened to me and helped me in more ways than they think.) The only person I seem to clash with regularly about this is you; whether it's some kind of personality thing or not I don't know, but if any of the people I had to deal with had spoken to me with any of the inferences you have, then I know that would be different.

I didn't know at the time that the operations and tests were low-risk or routine.
I was scared shitless because there was a history of this illness in my family before, and so far I'm the only one to survive (Up to now).
More than anything, I wanted someone to reassure me that this illness is survivable nowadays, and that while what happened to my father was unfortunate back then, this would not necessarily have to be my fate now. My GP was the only one who understood this, and also understood when I made my decisions with regards to my choices from that point. Elsewhere, my concerns were at best overlooked, maybe because they knew how safe and routine everything was but didn't know how to relate that to me, so to my eyes and ears, they seemed indifferent at best.

Maybe some 'service users' need educating, but I also believe that many healthcare professionals also need reminding that sick people often feel alone and afraid, and also think that no-one is listening to them, which is why they lash out. Yes, it's bad behaviour, but a little more understanding would go a long way to putting a lot of that right.
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Tue May 27, 2014 10:11 am

Ha - and I only chose 'service users' because people have been known to whinge about 'patients' in the past and 'service users' is the alternative term often used. It's used a lot in psychiatry and obstetrics - moody and litigious lot that they are. It just goes to show, it's literally impossible to please everyone and the ones you can't please will usually assume the worst.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 am

Tarkus wrote:I don't blame him and never have done, and I certainly haven't been nasty to any of the specialists, my GP or my physiotherapist over the last few years. (My physiotherapist and GP especially have been very understanding and genuinely lovely people who have listened to me and helped me in more ways than they think.) The only person I seem to clash with regularly about this is you; whether it's some kind of personality thing or not I don't know, but if any of the people I had to deal with had spoken to me with any of the inferences you have, then I know that would be different.


It's because they're your doctors, and need to have a patient-centred approach. If a patient doesn't want what they're offering, they can't get into a scientific debate with them. They can provide all the relevant information, but ultimately they're presenting to a patient, not an internation conference. If they can't persuade one person, they can't risk destroying that patient-doctor relationship by having a row with them over it. All they can do is vent their frustrations to their colleagues in the coffee room, and make meticulous notes about what they offered and what was refused, and what capacity assessments they did, because when people die of diseases that their doctors could have treated and didn't, the coroner sometimes has some rather searching questions.

I on the other hand can be as argumentative as I like because I'm just a human poster. I can be as forceful and argumentative towards you as I would be towards if my mum if she came back from the doctors with a horrible diagnosis and cracked open some homeopathy candles and some sugar tablets to start her treatment.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Weird experiences in the world of medicine and doctors

Postby Elessar » Tue May 27, 2014 10:30 am

Turns out there's been a huge amount of discussion, and the verdict seems to be that whatever you say, someone will find a way to criticise you:

http://m.bjsw.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/6/1101.full
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests