Should All Schools Be Secular?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should All Schools Be Secular?

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Personally, I believe they should; I feel there is no place for religion (in any context) in a place of education.
Last edited by musicalprostitute on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: Should All Schools Be Secular

Postby WeeMann » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

It depends how it's done. I went to a Catholic school, but I was raised CofE. The school didn't ram anything down our throats, but they did teach us about religion in the broadest sense, which is the way it's generally done now. I see no problem in teaching the generalities of religion and, if appropriate, giving them the opportunity to worship (our school held regular Mass for the Catholics), just as long as nothing is forced on them.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Re: Should All Schools Be Secular

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:13 pm

WeeMann wrote:It depends how it's done. I went to a Catholic school, but I was raised CofE. The school didn't ram anything down our throats, but they did teach us about religion in the broadest sense, which is the way it's generally done now. I see no problem in teaching the generalities of religion and, if appropriate, giving them the opportunity to worship (our school held regular Mass for the Catholics), just as long as nothing is forced on them.

See, my problem is the fact that a lot of it is forced upon kids. We had to do RE studies when I was in secondary school and it taught me absolutely nothing at all.

I think if people want to search religious writings when they are fully grown adults, then that is their free choice; but children should not be taught that this stuff is real. Of course, we all have different opinions on it, but that's mine. And I am a fan of Richard Dawkings! :lol:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: Should All Schools Be Secular?

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Personally, I believe they should; I feel there is no place for religion (in any context) in a place of education.

I feel there is no place for religion anywhere, not just in schools. Schools should be a place where they teach facts, not fairy tales.

Religion is the cause of more misery on this planet than anything else. Anyone who believes in it in this day and age really needs sectioning for being insane.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Personally, I believe they should; I feel there is no place for religion (in any context) in a place of education.

I'd rather people choose for themselves. That said I used to be quite religious at one time, and couldn't imagine my school days without it. This also said, I hope the kids I know in my life will never go through what I did in some of my school years. Strapping because "Jesus would have wanted you to learn right from wrong like this" I was told. F**k shit like that :evil:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm

shouldn't this be in the bashing religion section?

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:42 pm

In the last two thousand years, we've had significant events like the Nazis putting 11 million people through the showers, let me just say that compared to how many people differences of opinion on religion has put in the deck, that 11 million is a drop in the ocean.

Religious differences might easily be the major excuse for the next world war.

I personally think religion is complete bollocks, like most others here seem to, but I also see a certain need for people to have at least a bit of an awareness where fundamentalists, and extremists get this overwhelming belief from, especially if they wind up affecting your lives with it. I guess the argument is in how it is taught, and to what level.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 pm

And fuck shit like this thread! :mad:

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Innuendoes wrote:And fuck shit like this thread! :mad:

I'm sorry if I said anything wrong.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Kes wrote:In the last two thousand years, we've had significant events like the Nazis putting 11 million people through the showers, let me just say that compared to how many people differences of opinion on religion has put in the deck, that 11 million is a drop in the ocean.

Religious differences might easily be the major excuse for the next world war.

I personally think religion is complete bollocks, like most others here seem to, but I also see a certain need for people to have at least a bit of an awareness where fundamentalists, and extremists get this overwhelming belief from, especially if they wind up affecting your lives with it. I guess the argument is in how it is taught, and to what level.

Wherever those terrorists are getting their doctrine or BS from is certainly not in their original holy books nor taught in their religion. They are making it up as an excuse and they are so bad, even all the other terrorists don't like what they are doing.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 pm

icy wrote:

Do whatever you want.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
icy wrote:

Do whatever you want.

What is it :? ? I posted I'd rather have people decide for themselves.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 pm

I went to Catholic school but not in another country so I really have NO CLUE what others are taught, etc, in religious schools. I had ONE hour of religious studies per day and the rest was general studies, just like everyone else.

I was taught stuff in those religious classes that I would never have found out any other way. I can't even google for the information, but I know it's true because I have seen these things we were taught happening in this world, right now.

My end of rant in here!

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Wherever those terrorists are getting their doctrine or BS from is certainly not in their original holy books nor taught in their religion. They are making it up as an excuse and they are so bad, even all the other terrorists don't like what they are doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Americans extradited a Muslim cleric from the UK recently.

A reasonable portion of Muslims can't interpret the Koran for themselves and rely on "learned" people to interpret it for them, and "teach" them. I can turn this around to focus on Christianity too, especially sects like the one that caused all that shit at Waco. It's people misinterpreting religion and twisting it to their own ends. None of it is right, but the undeniable fact is that religion connects it.

I've just finished watching a series called The Borgias, and that one's all about the highest office in the Catholic Church. You're not telling me all the shagging and backstreet murdering it that is drama for drama's sake, are you? :shock:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Kes wrote:You're not telling me all the shagging and backstreet murdering it that is drama for drama's sake, are you? :shock:

What??? That sentence does't make sense to me, sorry.

Innuendoes

Next

Return to Views Of The World