Fracking, A Serious Issue

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Fracking, A Serious Issue

Postby 1By1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:07 am

When US midwesterners say they are more concerned about earthquakes than tornados, something is seriously wrong.

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/nightly-news/are-oklahoma-earthquakes-tied-fracking-n143121

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/usgs-oklahoma-earthquakes-fracking/2014/05/07/id/569936/

Giving the correction a shot.
Last edited by 1By1 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1By1

Re: Fracking, A Serous Issue

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am

I am very anti-fracking for many reasons. And I am too tired to get into it right now but soon - very soon.

Innuendoes

Postby 1By1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:49 pm

A UK Friends of the Earth interactive fracking and activism map
https://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/issues/uk_fracking_map_41274.html

UK, Watch out!!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/04/plan-fracking-firms-drill-homes-queens-speech
Government confirms plan to let fracking firms drill under homes
Government to change trespass law so fracking firms can bore under private land but leaves plan out of Queen's speech

1By1

Postby fairydandy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I am very anti-fracking for many reasons. And I am too tired to get into it right now but soon - very soon.

No hurry Inny love.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby 1By1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I am very anti-fracking for many reasons. And I am too tired to get into it right now but soon - very soon.

I agree with FD, Inny. The thread will be here when you are ready to jump in. Take care. 8-)

Edit: Here is a list of countries which have anned fracking.
http://keeptapwatersafe.org/global-bans-on-fracking/

1By1

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:03 am

Fracking means drilling and injecting fluid into shale to get to or force out the gas, oil and light gasses underground. It's basically like blowing up the ground with water, sand and other various chemicals instead of explosives. What's the difference, other than some of these fluids are waste-water?

Oklahoma isn't the only state, here, worried about fracking and it has been banned in several states, if not more than 2 or 3. A Colorado firm used fracking and the next day there was an earthquake. They decided to ban it and did.

We don't need to keep finding more ways to obtain oil and gas, we need to find safe methods of collecting wind as power and solar methods. The safe wind collection towers or poles need to be the type that are raptor friendly, not those massive wind turbines that kill 1000s of raptors and bats on a daily basis, world-wide.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:14 am

Earthjustice
WE BEAT FRACKING!*
* WITH LOTS OF HELP (SEE BELOW)
Life in Dryden, NY. (Chris Jordan-Bloch / Earthjustice)

Today, New York’s highest court handed down a landmark decision, ruling that New York communities have the right to keep fracking out of their borders.

This is a huge victory for the 170+ towns in New York that have passed bans or moratoriums on fracking—and the dozens more New York communities that have been waiting for this court decision before passing bans of their own. It’s a victory for communities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Texas, and California and everywhere else where people are fighting at the local level to protect themselves from fracking. And it’s a victory for anyone who’s ever felt bullied by the oil and gas industry.

Earthjustice Managing Attorney Deborah Goldberg represented the town of Dryden (population 14,5000) on appeal, after Anschutz Exploration Corporation, owned by Forbes-ranked Phillip Anschutz (net worth: $7.5 billion), unsuccessfully sued the town.

After hearing the news, Deborah told reporters:

"This decision by the Court of Appeals has settled the matter once and for all across New York State and has sent a firm message to the oil and gas industry. For too long the oil and gas industry has intimidated and abused people, expecting to get away with it. That behavior is finally coming back to haunt them, as communities across the country stand up and say 'no more.'"

Last year, more than 20,000 of you sent messages of support to the people of Dryden as they awaited a court decision. Today, we’re asking you to share their story far and wide—so communities across the country can learn how they too can fight against fracking—and win.

Visit earthjustice.org/dryden-photos, a photo essay with a step-by-step view of how the people of Dryden fought fracking and won

Leave a comment for the people of Dryden

Share it with everyone you know (especially friends in PA, CO, CA, TX and OH!)
With great appreciation,

Kathleen Sutcliffe
Campaign Manager

P.S. As fracking bears down on more than 30 states, we need your help to get the message out about this important victory. Please visit earthjustice.org/dryden-photos and share!

Innuendoes

Postby 1By1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:15 am

California cities are fighting back but the state is holding on to its claim that fracking is needed.

http://rt.com/usa/162616-california-senate-kills-fracking-ban/

The vote was ridiculous as 4 Dems went to the dark side to vote with the Repugs.

The oil lobby looms large in California unfortunately. Glad for New York, though.

1By1

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Yea, fracking is needed about as much as blowing the ear drums out of dolphins, orca and whales for military sonar experiments. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Innuendoes

Postby 1By1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 am

Haven't heard of acid fracking.

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/02/327373952/florida-county-goes-to-court-over-acid-fracking-near-everglades
"..."We have some very antiquated oil and gas [regulations] that were written long ago when these kinds of techniques didn't really even exist or were used," Hecker says.

Florida's oil and gas regulations currently make no mention of acid stimulation, hydraulic fracturing or other new extraction technologies. Hughes says that's why it believes its operations are allowed under Florida law.

Hecker says regulators and lawmakers need to take action before approving more drilling permits.

"This horizontal drilling, the use of all of these chemicals, the high-pressure injection of those chemicals — that's a whole different process than what we have traditionally seen here in Collier County, so we need to update the laws and regulations," Hecker says.

On this point at least, state regulators, local officials and environmental groups agree. Vinyard says he has asked his staff to develop recommendations on updating Florida's oil and gas regulations."

1By1

Postby 1By1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:36 am

Florida County Goes To Court Over 'Acid Fracking' Near Everglades by Greg Allen July 02, 2014 5:31 PM ET

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/02/327373952/florida-county-goes-to-court-over-acid-fracking-near-everglades

" "We have some very antiquated oil and gas [regulations] that were written long ago when these kinds of techniques didn't really even exist or were used," Hecker says.

Florida's oil and gas regulations currently make no mention of acid stimulation, hydraulic fracturing or other new extraction technologies. Hughes says that's why it believes its operations are allowed under Florida law.

Hecker says regulators and lawmakers need to take action before approving more drilling permits.

"This horizontal drilling, the use of all of these chemicals, the high-pressure injection of those chemicals — that's a whole different process than what we have traditionally seen here in Collier County, so we need to update the laws and regulations," Hecker says.

On this point at least, state regulators, local officials and environmental groups agree. Vinyard says he has asked his staff to develop recommendations on updating Florida's oil and gas regulations."

1By1

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 am

Little is known about many of the chemicals used in drilling and fracking. What information is available is sobering: 78 percent of known fracking chemicals are associated with serious short-term health effects such as burning eyes, rashes, asthma-like effects, nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, tremors, and convulsions. Between 22 and 47 percent of those chemicals also are associated with longer-term health effects, including cancer, organ damage, and harm to the endocrine system.

http://earthjustice.org/news/press/2011 ... sting-info

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:57 pm

I believe it uses dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) as well, which we really need to do something about.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Elessar

Postby icy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm

It's a hotly debated issue in the province where I currently live. I'm not for it all, some reasons in this link and taking into account what Elessar posted above.
Fracking ‘almost completely unregulated’ in Alberta, NDP charges
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e16694749/
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby 1By1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:06 pm

icy wrote:It's a hotly debated issue in the province where I currently live. I'm not for it all, some reasons in this link and taking into account what Elessar posted above.
Fracking ‘almost completely unregulated’ in Alberta, NDP charges
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e16694749/

The article states,
He said the water loss alone is sobering, with more than 17 million cubic metres used in 2013.

“This is an enormous amount of groundwater. It’s pumped into the ground, it’s polluted by chemicals and it’s never seen again.”

Fracking blasts pressurized water and chemicals into underlying rocks to release trapped natural gas and oil.

The whole western US is under drought. So how in the world can fracking be justified at all?

1By1

Next

Return to Views Of The World