The Great War 1914-1918.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The Great War 1914-1918.

Postby Tarkus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:37 am

JLP wrote:Would we, and by we I mean us actual individuals, be here if WW2 had ended up in defeat? Now there is a debate to be had.

I would almost certainly have been born a Canadian, as my mother was thinking of emigrating there when war broke out, then she met my dad. So I'd have had a different father, been a whole lot more polite, and have an obsession with Ice Hockey! :P

Tarkus

Re: The Great War 1914-1918.

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am

Tarkus wrote:
JLP wrote:Would we, and by we I mean us actual individuals, be here if WW2 had ended up in defeat? Now there is a debate to be had.

I would almost certainly have been born a Canadian, as my mother was thinking of emigrating there when war broke out, then she met my dad. So I'd have had a different father, been a whole lot more polite, and have an obsession with Ice Hockey! :P

If the course of events changed, who could say whether our parents, or their parents, would have survived to be around to create us? As my father was in the RN, I'd guess he would either have been dead, or stuck in a Stalag (POW camp) somewhere, so probably no.

If your father wasn't your father, you wouldn't be you, Dusty. We are talking a completely different potential human being.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to Views Of The World