Never forget this elephant.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Never forget this elephant.

Postby Tarkus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... er-4135686

Raju is an elephant that was kept in spiked shackles for 50 years, before being set free and kept in an animal sanctuary with other rescued elephants. Shockingly, his former owner is now launching legal proceedings to get him back. An online petition is currently underway to help him stay in the sanctuary. Please read the story above, and if you care, please sign the petition below.

Anyone with the usual crap about 'too many animal charities' can sling your hook- I'm only doing my bit to raise awareness and get more signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/shri-akhilesh- ... -raju-free

Tarkus

Re: Never forget this elephant.

Postby action » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 pm

mankind surely is an evil race. if we look at mankind in relation to the biosystem, we are like a foreign element that destroys everything, like a tumor.

i seriously think we should all just be wiped off the face of the earth by a massive extinction event or something, like the dinosaurs 60 million years ago.

it's also my belief that ebola and aids have been made in secret lab's for this purpose, to kill as many people as possible. its not exactly biological warfare, its more an ideological measure. some secret group thought there are too many people on the earth, and by inventing these diseases they hope to get population at a decent number. but if i had my way, there would be no people left since as long as there are people, there will be cruelty of this kind.

if man is god's creation, then it must have been satan's doing. you have to be a real diabolic creature to create man. god would never create mankind (if he's eternally good, that is)
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Inny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Spoiler! :

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 pm

magic action wrote:it's also my belief that ebola and aids have been made in secret lab's for this purpose, to kill as many people as possible. its not exactly biological warfare, its more an ideological measure. some secret group thought there are too many people on the earth, and by inventing these diseases they hope to get population at a decent number.

While I personally feel that's a ridiculous suggestion, I finally got around to watching the British TV series Utopia recently, and that basically revolved around a secret organisation trying to vaccinate the entire world with a genetically engineered virus that would sterilise 95% of the population, thereby reducing the number of people living here to a much more manageable level.

For a quirky show, it actually had a very interesting core idea that made me think.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Inny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Tarkus wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/raju-elephant-cruel-former-owner-4135686

Raju is an elephant that was kept in spiked shackles for 50 years, before being set free and kept in an animal sanctuary with other rescued elephants. Shockingly, his former owner is now launching legal proceedings to get him back. An online petition is currently underway to help him stay in the sanctuary. Please read the story above, and if you care, please sign the petition below.

Anyone with the usual crap about 'too many animal charities' can sling your hook- I'm only doing my bit to raise awareness and get more signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/shri-akhilesh- ... -raju-free

Retweeted this petition to an animal advocate who was tweeting about how wonderful it was that Raju had been released. She has 9985 followers and she's retweeted it. :-D

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Inny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Going viral as we speak - my email is getting hit big time. :onfire:

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Inny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Holy cow, can you shut off twitter notifications? rotflol. This is getting a LOT of attention and being retweeted like mad! :shock:

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Inny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Whrew, problem solved. :lol:

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Seriously, why should the the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh care about the 5-second token gestures of a bunch of Westerners, the majority of whom would struggle not only to point out Uttar Pradesh on a map, but to even identify what Uttar Pradesh is? In a state (it's a state) where 30% of people are below the poverty line, is the welfare of an animal that in all likelihood provides a livelihood to half a dozen people, most of whom have families, high on the agenda?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world this sort of thing wouldn't happen. But clicking 3 or 4 buttons and expecting that to influence what's happening thousands of miles away in a completely different world from the one we live in is naive and ignorant.

If you want to make a difference, there's no substitute for hard cash. Signing a petition is nothing more than an impotent conscience soother.

Elessar

Postby Tarkus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Ah, the predictable answer I was kind of expecting.

Tarkus

Postby 1By1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Elessar wrote:
If you want to make a difference, there's no substitute for hard cash. Signing a petition is nothing more than an impotent conscience soother.

Some petitions, for instance, petitions to the White House, may be effective. Others are just to build email data bases and probably sell the emails. For abuse of entertainment animals issues, one can write letters to the editor, take out partial or full page ads, do a flash mob at a very public place, organize a protest in front of a circus, and conduct other showy actions. Activists in a county I lived in distributed informational fliers about animal testing(Revlon) around town, same could be done for entertainment animal abuse. The money needs to go to a reputable org.

1By1

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 pm

It's a shame that if you anticipated my reply, you were unable to come up with a response more intellectual than "fuck you too". If someone replied to one of your soliloquies with that, would you assume that they're holding back a killer argument?

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 am

Elessar wrote:Image

Seriously, why should the the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh care about the 5-second token gestures of a bunch of Westerners, the majority of whom would struggle not only to point out Uttar Pradesh on a map, but to even identify what Uttar Pradesh is? In a state (it's a state) where 30% of people are below the poverty line, is the welfare of an animal that in all likelihood provides a livelihood to half a dozen people, most of whom have families, high on the agenda?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world this sort of thing wouldn't happen. But clicking 3 or 4 buttons and expecting that to influence what's happening thousands of miles away in a completely different world from the one we live in is naive and ignorant.

And why should the minister of the environment in the country of Estonia care about 1 white-tailed eagle? She does and did at the time he was killed.

Why did the only wildlife veterinarian in that country call for letters AND a petition and why were letters and a petition created? This petition was presented in court, at the request of the minister, who was impressed with the international interest and outrage against this poaching and requested the petition names and comments be sent directly to her, via email, which is what I did on behalf of the specific eagle, the veterinarian who treated and released him before he was shot down and the entire court dealing with poachers. It was specifically noted by said minister, that she was impressed by the international outrage plus the fact that people were telling her in the messages that the whole world was watching.

A lot was accomplished against poachers the day that petition was read out loud in court. It was not, ever, an "impotent conscience soother" !

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 am

Very good! So far, 54,863 supporters to the petition and it is still being shared all over the world. The last signature was just moments ago.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:34 am

Innuendoes

Next

Return to Views Of The World