Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 pm

icy wrote:It costs alot to stay vegetarian and vegan as I've found out. Honestly, it's difficult right now, temptation is everywhere at this time of year.

That's a myth. It's only expensive if you buy a lot of faux "meat" products or expensive organic produce. Pasta is dirt cheap for example and you get protein from pasta too. There's almost the same amount of protein in broccoli than meat. I was tempted at first when I became vegan (vegetarian first) but once you learn to equate animal products with the suffering they cause it gets easy. As I've said before. Since we don't NEED animal products to survive it really is just selfishness to consume them. I know that sounds harsh and I'm NOT judging anyone in particular but it's basic logic. There are, however, some humans who need animal products to survive. Those with no access to alternative food. But that's a small percentage of the globe. Bottom line is if there's a will there's a way but LOVE and MORALITY always seem to involve some sacrifice.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I think there’s two or three essential amino acids that you can only get from meat, but I haven’t bothered looking into it properly because I don’t seem to have dropped dead yet. I had back-to-back colds for about 3 weeks when I first cut out meat, but that’s probably because it was January.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

YAFF wrote:
icy wrote:It costs alot to stay vegetarian and vegan as I've found out. Honestly, it's difficult right now, temptation is everywhere at this time of year.

That's a myth. It's only expensive if you buy a lot of faux "meat" products or expensive organic produce. Pasta is dirt cheap for example and you get protein from pasta too. There's almost the same amount of protein in broccoli than meat. I was tempted at first when I became vegan (vegetarian first) but once you learn to equate animal products with the suffering they cause it gets easy. As I've said before. Since we don't NEED animal products to survive it really is just selfishness to consume them. I know that sounds harsh and I'm NOT judging anyone in particular but it's basic logic. There are, however, some humans who need animal products to survive. Those with no access to alternative food. But that's a small percentage of the globe. Bottom line is if there's a will there's a way but LOVE and MORALITY always seem to involve some sacrifice.

No myth. I wish it was, because even regular food has raised in price, as well as vegetarian and vegan products.
There's still so much I have to learn, I'm going to look up cookbooks later today. Hopefully there will be some on Goodreads or Amazon.
I couldn't sit down to eat a meal with meat. When I slipped a couple of times, it was meat based gravy that did it :oops: .
Tofurkey is gross I found. I'm going to keep an eye out for the brands you suggested. Thanks for the tip, info and insight, because it's wonderful to discuss this with someone who has been vegan for longer than I have.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Previous

Return to Views Of The World