Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 pm

icy wrote:It costs alot to stay vegetarian and vegan as I've found out. Honestly, it's difficult right now, temptation is everywhere at this time of year.

That's a myth. It's only expensive if you buy a lot of faux "meat" products or expensive organic produce. Pasta is dirt cheap for example and you get protein from pasta too. There's almost the same amount of protein in broccoli than meat. I was tempted at first when I became vegan (vegetarian first) but once you learn to equate animal products with the suffering they cause it gets easy. As I've said before. Since we don't NEED animal products to survive it really is just selfishness to consume them. I know that sounds harsh and I'm NOT judging anyone in particular but it's basic logic. There are, however, some humans who need animal products to survive. Those with no access to alternative food. But that's a small percentage of the globe. Bottom line is if there's a will there's a way but LOVE and MORALITY always seem to involve some sacrifice.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I think there’s two or three essential amino acids that you can only get from meat, but I haven’t bothered looking into it properly because I don’t seem to have dropped dead yet. I had back-to-back colds for about 3 weeks when I first cut out meat, but that’s probably because it was January.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

YAFF wrote:
icy wrote:It costs alot to stay vegetarian and vegan as I've found out. Honestly, it's difficult right now, temptation is everywhere at this time of year.

That's a myth. It's only expensive if you buy a lot of faux "meat" products or expensive organic produce. Pasta is dirt cheap for example and you get protein from pasta too. There's almost the same amount of protein in broccoli than meat. I was tempted at first when I became vegan (vegetarian first) but once you learn to equate animal products with the suffering they cause it gets easy. As I've said before. Since we don't NEED animal products to survive it really is just selfishness to consume them. I know that sounds harsh and I'm NOT judging anyone in particular but it's basic logic. There are, however, some humans who need animal products to survive. Those with no access to alternative food. But that's a small percentage of the globe. Bottom line is if there's a will there's a way but LOVE and MORALITY always seem to involve some sacrifice.

No myth. I wish it was, because even regular food has raised in price, as well as vegetarian and vegan products.
There's still so much I have to learn, I'm going to look up cookbooks later today. Hopefully there will be some on Goodreads or Amazon.
I couldn't sit down to eat a meal with meat. When I slipped a couple of times, it was meat based gravy that did it :oops: .
Tofurkey is gross I found. I'm going to keep an eye out for the brands you suggested. Thanks for the tip, info and insight, because it's wonderful to discuss this with someone who has been vegan for longer than I have.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby YAFF » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:42 pm

phpBB [video]
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Well this is deeply upsetting:

https://twitter.com/Protect_Wldlife/sta ... 3715910656

Apparently they've been arrested. I hope they get suitably punished.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby YAFF » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 pm

I want you to watch this video. I'll tell you what. If you can refute this video logically without lazily posting links and/or copying and pasting and without attacking the person delivering the message I'll quit veganism.

phpBB [video]

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm

YAFF wrote:I want you to watch this video. I'll tell you what. If you can refute this video logically without lazily posting links and/or copying and pasting and without attacking the person delivering the message I'll quit veganism.

phpBB [video]

I haven't yet watched your video link, but I am guessing your argument is that a typical meat eater is just as bad as anyone who hurts or kills animals. Is that correct?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby YAFF » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
I haven't yet watched your video link, but I am guessing your argument is that a typical meat eater is just as bad as anyone who hurts or kills animals. Is that correct?

No

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm

I know I'm late to this thread, but...

The one question I always have regarding veganism surrounds the oft-flouted argument that it's better for the environment than a meat diet.

Is it?

I imagine if everyone in the world suddenly started eating plants instead of meat, we would need to grow a lot more crops to sustain the population. That would mean there would need to be a lot more destruction of natural habitat to make room for the growing of said crops. It would also mean there would be vast increase in the amount of herbicides and pesticides being poured into the environment. We've known for decades how harmful both of these things can be.

So - and this is a genuine question - would it actually be any more ecologically friendly?
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 pm

YAFF wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

No

Thanks for the reply; must have really taken it out of you. Jesus Christ.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:I know I'm late to this thread, but...

The one question I always have regarding veganism surrounds the oft-flouted argument that it's better for the environment than a meat diet.

Is it?

I imagine if everyone in the world suddenly started eating plants instead of meat, we would need to grow a lot more crops to sustain the population. That would mean there would need to be a lot more destruction of natural habitat to make room for the growing of said crops. It would also mean there would be vast increase in the amount of herbicides and pesticides being poured into the environment. We've known for decades how harmful both of these things can be.

So - and this is a genuine question - would it actually be any more ecologically friendly?

Much Much More Friendly
https://www.yourdailyvegan.com/environment/
https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-use ... vironment/

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
YAFF wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

No

Why should I waste my energy when you implied you didn't even watch the video I posted but asked a presumptuous question?

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Neither of those addressed the points I raised.

The second page had an entire section on water pollution that didn't even mention herbicides, or how their usage would inevitably have to increase dramatically if we started growing more crops to feed everyone who now isn't eating meat.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:32 pm

YAFF wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Why should I waste my energy when you implied you didn't even watch the video I posted but asked a presumptuous question?

Because you were the one originally questioning me. Remember? Don't state you wish to debate something and then when I ask you a simple question just simply not bother. It's ignorant.

I simply wanted to know your stance - in your own words.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:

Neither of those addressed the points I raised.

The second page had an entire section on water pollution that didn't even mention herbicides, or how their usage would inevitably have to increase dramatically if we started growing more crops to feed everyone who now isn't eating meat.

The animals eat crops of course, so there probably wouldn’t be that much more needed.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World