Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 am

if you eat meat you should watch this...

Where Your Meat Comes From

phpBB [video]
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Re: Try Veganism In 2015?

Postby Fizzle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:12 am

Honestly I've been thinking about trying it recently, I've been a gluttonous meat/junk food eater for too long and I'm hoping to improve my lifestyle in the new year. Any QOL vegans have any tips for getting started & sticking with it?

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby icy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:43 am

I don't think I would have a problem cutting meat out from what I eat, as I rarely eat it. Meat flavoring is in alot of products though, even potato chip brands.Milk and dairy products would be harder to cut out.
It was and is hard to watch that video, but it needs to be watched methinks.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby HoopDiddyDiddy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm

I did a vegan phase back in the 90's when health issues prompted me to change up my diet. I did a bad job of it and relied too heavily on carbs and gained a bit of weight. I made it nearly three years but finally caved as my body simply craved protein. I had not yet properly learned how to combine foods to get complete proteins.
I have since restructured things where I now incorporate a bit of organic animal products- I don't eat beef but once or twice a year but do rely on fish and some poultry.

For me the biggest thing I did that helped my body was to start limiting processed foods and moving to more organic veggies and fruits. Very little in the way of prepackaged stuff- IMO the preservatives and additives are what will kill you.

Best thing I would advise is to get into the habit of reading labels.
If there is a word you don't recognize, look it up.
Avoid all dye, preservatives, and hydrogenized products.
Anyway, that is what works for me :)

HoopDiddyDiddy
Spread Your Wings

... joyful noise!

Postby YAFF » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Fizzle wrote:Honestly I've been thinking about trying it recently, I've been a gluttonous meat/junk food eater for too long and I'm hoping to improve my lifestyle in the new year. Any QOL vegans have any tips for getting started & sticking with it?

Website designed for such a situation. http://www.veganuary.com/
http://www.livevegan.org/getting-started
http://features.peta.org/how-to-go-vegan/

I became a vegan exactly one year ago and after the first couple months it's been a total breeze and I feel sooooooo much better. I did it mainly because of caring what happens to animals (did you watch that video above?) but the gift in return has been much improved health. Sticking with it for me is love for innocent animals rather than health (bit of a over-eater/drinker here lol)
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby YAFF » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:33 pm

icy wrote:I don't think I would have a problem cutting meat out from what I eat, as I rarely eat it. Meat flavoring is in alot of products though, even potato chip brands.Milk and dairy products would be harder to cut out.

Yes great attitude. If a person insists on eating meat, poultry, dairy and eggs they should be able to watch that video- I think they owe it to themselves and the animals to know where their animal products come from

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm

YAFF wrote:
icy wrote:I don't think I would have a problem cutting meat out from what I eat, as I rarely eat it. Meat flavoring is in alot of products though, even potato chip brands.Milk and dairy products would be harder to cut out.

Yes great attitude. If a person insists on eating meat, poultry, dairy and eggs they should be able to watch that video- I think they owe it to themselves and the animals to know where their animal products come from

I watched, and it made me cry, and try to resolve not to eat much meat, which I rarely do, but the flavorings are in so much products that will be harder for me to cut that out, but I will try.
I dunno if thanks is the right word, but this sort of things needs to be out there and discussed IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby YAFF » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:09 am

icy wrote:
YAFF wrote:

I watched, and it made me cry, and try to resolve not to eat much meat, which I rarely do, but the flavorings are in so much products that will be harder for me to cut that out, but I will try.
I dunno if thanks is the right word, but this sort of things needs to be out there and discussed IMO.

It's really worth it. For animals. For health. For the environment. It's the best decision I've ever made. If you ever need any advice or have any questions please ask. This is pretty much my "religion" the way I research it :biggrin:

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 am

YAFF wrote:
It's really worth it. For animals. For health. For the environment. It's the best decision I've ever made. If you ever need any advice or have any questions please ask. This is pretty much my "religion" the way I research it :biggrin:

I might take you up on that, thanks.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby YAFF » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 am

icy wrote:
YAFF wrote:

I might take you up on that, thanks.

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby Fizzle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:33 am

YAFF wrote:
Fizzle wrote:Honestly I've been thinking about trying it recently, I've been a gluttonous meat/junk food eater for too long and I'm hoping to improve my lifestyle in the new year. Any QOL vegans have any tips for getting started & sticking with it?

I became a vegan exactly one year ago and after the first couple months it's been a total breeze and I feel sooooooo much better. I did it mainly because of caring what happens to animals (did you watch that video above?) but the gift in return has been much improved health. Sticking with it for me is love for innocent animals rather than health (bit of a over-eater/drinker here lol)

Thanks for the links! I'm a softie for animals and its weighed on my mind for years that I'm a bit of a hypocrite with my meat eating. I've had a few failed attempts at going vegan before, but I'm pretty damn determined now. It must be so rewarding!

No meat eaten today. :)

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Postby YAFF » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 am

Fizzle wrote:
YAFF wrote:

Thanks for the links! I'm a softie for animals and its weighed on my mind for years that I'm a bit of a hypocrite with my meat eating. I've had a few failed attempts at going vegan before, but I'm pretty damn determined now. It must be so rewarding!

No meat eaten today. :)

Rewarding? Completely! I wish I had done it 20 years ago and I am like you. I tried a couple times in the past but failed. The easiest way to stay vegan is to keep the victims in mind. I subscribe to animal advocate websites. especially on Facebook. Keep animals on your mind. To be reminded of the horrors that these innocent beings endure for simple human selfishness. That video I posted...I can't watch it. It's too heartbreaking and I said: "No more!" and haven't looked back. It's easier these days compared to my two failed attempts. There's more vegan options available.

And the kicker is I don't miss animal products at all and eat better tasting foods that I never even knew existed. Even though I didn't do it for health I get the benefit of perfect cholesterol levels because you only get bad cholesterol from your parents genetically or animal products.

This video helped me make the change!
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:07 am

I'm looking up recipes and will keep my eyes open for vegan cookbooks. I tried to make beef free gravy earlier tonight, its early days but hoping I will get the hang of it. I love cooking, and I'm already a picky eater, which might help me with this.
As for junk food, I plan to cut down on that. I saw crackers today in an oriental shop, that had some sort of meat flavoring. It crossed my mind thanks to this thread, so I didn't buy it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Fizzle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 pm

icy wrote:I'm looking up recipes and will keep my eyes open for vegan cookbooks. I tried to make beef free gravy earlier tonight, its early days but hoping I will get the hang of it. I love cooking, and I'm already a picky eater, which might help me with this.
As for junk food, I plan to cut down on that. I saw crackers today in an oriental shop, that had some sort of meat flavoring. It crossed my mind thanks to this thread, so I didn't buy it.

I've been browsing this website: http://www.vegweb.com/recipes

Some of those recipes look great, I'm going to try a few!

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 am

Fizzle wrote:
icy wrote:I'm looking up recipes and will keep my eyes open for vegan cookbooks. I tried to make beef free gravy earlier tonight, its early days but hoping I will get the hang of it. I love cooking, and I'm already a picky eater, which might help me with this.

I've been browsing this website: http://www.vegweb.com/recipes

Some of those recipes look great, I'm going to try a few!

Hey, thanks for the link.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy