Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:13 pm

JLP wrote:YAFF, you do not annoy me because you are a vegan. You annoy me by insulting me because I choose to eat meat. You call me names and compare my habits to those of the Nazis.

You do act all superior in your vegan beliefs.


Firstly, while I could not possibly care less if you find me annoying I must say your description is not accurate. My comments to you were nuanced and presented in context. You simply came here and said "I disagree" and that was the extent of your contribution other than to whine about my behavior. Your excuse for eating meat is ...because you want to and choose to. Yeah? So? I merely pointed out that this choice was "selfish" since you don't need to but you choose to despite the cruelty and suffering and death that results from your choice. The analogies I made are apt.

It comes across as "superior" to you because you feel judged by what I said. But I just used simple logic. Please point out where I just attacked you or insulted you for no reason.

I don't think I'm superior but veganism IS ethically superior to non-veganism. Thing is that's not why I do it.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Try Veganism

Postby julymorning » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:42 am

YAFF wrote:
Elessar wrote:Image



Yes but you don't seem to understand why vegans like to let you know they are vegans. It's normally just to have an opportunity to tell you why they are. It's a form of testifying. To spread the message of compassion for all animals. You seem to think it's to act like they are superior to you. If you think that you just don't get it.


You have no idea how ironically similar to what a Jehovah's Witness would say about what they're doing. A form of testifying and spreading a message. Not trying to convert anyone or believe they are superior. They think that you just don't get it.

Hilarious.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:21 pm

julymorning wrote:
YAFF wrote:
Elessar wrote:Image



Yes but you don't seem to understand why vegans like to let you know they are vegans. It's normally just to have an opportunity to tell you why they are. It's a form of testifying. To spread the message of compassion for all animals. You seem to think it's to act like they are superior to you. If you think that you just don't get it.


You have no idea how ironically similar to what a Jehovah's Witness would say about what they're doing. A form of testifying and spreading a message. Not trying to convert anyone or believe they are superior. They think that you just don't get it.

Hilarious.


Yes I am very familiar with JWs and yes you could say I'm proselytizing a message but I don't do so to feel special but rather I do so because it could mean less suffering and death for animals. What humans do to animals disturbs me deeply and I believe we will evolve into a kinder more compassionate world. What I mean by "you just don't get it" is that if you think I just do this to elevate myself above someone else you are looking at it in a defensive, selfish way. What I am doing is actually selfless if you think about it. I'm saying I am not superior to other animals.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Image
Image
Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Tarkus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:06 pm

YAFF wrote:
Elessar wrote:Image



Yes but you don't seem to understand why vegans like to let you know they are vegans. It's normally just to have an opportunity to tell you why they are. It's a form of testifying. To spread the message of compassion for all animals. You seem to think it's to act like they are superior to you. If you think that you just don't get it.


Funny that, because I've seen how annoying that can be to other people, to the point that some will actually get 'in my face' as soon as they find out that I am- even though I have no intention of telling them. (If they ever do find out, it's because someone I know, like a work colleague, will mention it in passing.) I guess they think it's a kind of 'pre-emptive strike' before I launch into a sermon at them for being cruel animal-abusing nasty bastards- again, which I have no intention of doing. I strongly suspect that many omnivores are defensive in this way because they've met with people that have YAFF's approach and just want to get their own back.

The only circumstances in which I *would* tell other people that I am vegan is if they offer to purchase any food, sweets or other edibles, or make or cook anything for me, so that they can either accommodate my dietary requirements, or just so that they don't take offence should I politely decline the offer or refuse any edibles offered. So far, this strategy has worked wonders, as the number of people who have taken the 'pre-emptive' line have steeply declined due to my colleagues defending my choices, and many of them even take my dietary choices into consideration when planning things like putting out sweets and treats at work for birthdays, the festive season and so on. The levels that they go to to accommodate me so that I don't feel left out of the team is really quite touching.

Elessar wrote:
I read the other day that Buddhism doesn't specifically ban eating meat, it just says you shouldn't order the killing of an animal so that you can eat it. I guess that's kind of open to interpretation.


That comes from the fact that the Buddha and the Dalia Lama have both eaten meat during their life times. The important thing for Buddhists is that they didn't kill the animal, or pay for the meat, which means therefore paying someone to kill it- any meat they ate was food that was freely offered to them. When preparing their own food, it was vegetarian.
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 am

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 am

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby julymorning » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 am

Here's a related subject. Today on fb I see someone on the Int'l. Queen Fan Club post a photo of a RS replica with caption that he finally found a suitable strap for it.
I'm seeing what looks like a red leather strap with Brian's signature on it. (Yes I figured it was a signature copy, but still...)
So I commented that I wondered if it was real leather, because I couldn't imagine Brian May having his signature on one.

The owner says it IS genuine leather, and it is licensed by QPL.

I betcha Brian knows noting about this. But if he does, it's a contradiction I'm finding hard to swallow. I know there are some Queen fans that don't think very highly of Brian, but I know he himself does not use animal skin for guitar straps.

I'm wondering if it should be brought to his attention.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:34 am

phpBB [video]
Image---Image
 
Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

QOL'er in Black

      
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:02 pm

YAFF wrote:Image



I'm going to refrain from disputing the above claim, but I would like to....it just wouldn't do any good. Nor does the above meme.

Not the way to go about this at all.
If you want to be helpful, print some recipes you've enjoyed. And please leave soy products out of them for those of us that can't tolerate soy.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:58 pm

julymorning wrote:
YAFF wrote:Image



I'm going to refrain from disputing the above claim, but I would like to....it just wouldn't do any good. Nor does the above meme.

Not the way to go about this at all.
If you want to be helpful, print some recipes you've enjoyed. And please leave soy products out of them for those of us that can't tolerate soy.


It may not work with you but it works with others. Sure I can offer recipes but, honestly, if a person isn't motivated to go Vegan out of love of animals I doubt said person will really change anyway. It is a completely different worldview. It takes love and true love always involves some sacrifice and overall effort.

You would fail in disputing that meme. One animal may have more subjective value to you but intrinsically there is no difference. It never ceases to amaze me how certain people here feel compelled to push back against compassion.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby julymorning » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:19 am

I may not turn vegan, I didn't last long as a vegetarian 30 years ago, only less than 2 months. But Ido like to try recipes
and I need to make some changes.

I promise you many of us would try a vegan recipe if it looked tasty. We all want to eat healthier, at least most of the time.

I guess for you it wouldn't be enough to have someone gradually change over because of the yummy sounding meal (pictures are a bonus). It wouldn't be enough for them to avoid meat the majority of the time, or even part of the time. You're the kind it's all or nothing, apparently.

Or you can just keep banging people over the head and turning them off, if your bullying and sad pictures don't take advantage of those with complexes already.

you really don't know how to 'become your audience', do you?

If you split a pig's head with a horse, that would be more accurate.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Elessar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:43 pm

YAFF wrote:
YAFF wrote:Image


You would fail in disputing that meme. One animal may have more subjective value to you but intrinsically there is no difference. It never ceases to amaze me how certain people here feel compelled to push back against compassion.


Well I'm no taxonomist, but I'm pretty sure one half is bovine and the other equine. They differ by about 80 million years of evolution. Surely an animal-lover should celebrate their difference, not deny it.
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 143 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests