Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Try Veganism In 2015?

Postby Tarkus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:40 am

phpBB [video]

Vegan Black Metal Chef- a playlist of 19 vegan recipes accompanied by black metal. Enjoy...

Tarkus

Postby icy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:11 am

icy wrote:
Fizzle wrote:
icy wrote:I'm looking up recipes and will keep my eyes open for vegan cookbooks. I tried to make beef free gravy earlier tonight, its early days but hoping I will get the hang of it. I love cooking, and I'm already a picky eater, which might help me with this.
As for junk food, I plan to cut down on that. I saw crackers today in an oriental shop, that had some sort of meat flavoring. It crossed my mind thanks to this thread, so I didn't buy it.

I've been browsing this website: http://www.vegweb.com/recipes

Some of those recipes look great, I'm going to try a few!

Hey, thanks for the link.

Meal planned for tommorow evening, thanks again for the link.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Lino » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 pm

I won't become a vegan by being imposed or something. It's incredible how some people preach veganism as priests and we're going to hell if we don't become one. It's a personal choice. We need protein and vitamin b12 that comes from meat and fish, and which vegans and vegetarians need to take as supplement, as it's beneficial for our blood and DNA, and very important for our health in general.
Plus, you talk about meat, but do you imagine the deforestation that takes place because of soya (and other things) in the Amazon and other rainforests?
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tarkus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 pm

That's a popular misconception, Lino. Vitamin B12 can be found in many B12 enriched vegan foods, or even basic Marmite, Vegemite or yeast spread, not just from supplements- and the B12 you find in animal products is not as easily absorbed as that which comes from vegetable sources. Link As for proteins, again vegan foods supply more readily absorbed proteins that can be utilised better by the body than most animal products- animal proteins need to be broken down into basic protein chains in the gut before the body can reconstruct them into protein chains it can use- foods like Lentils, Bulghur or Quinoa give high amounts of proteins already in simple enough chains for the body to use without having to break them down first- 100g of Lentils will give you 18% of the daily requirement of proten, whereas Bulghur will give you 24%, and Quinoa will give 28%. Combine these foods with beans and soy based dairy substitures, and you'll get a complete cross-section of proteins in one meal.

The only equation you really need in a vegan diet is to remember three main food types- beans, grains and dairy substitute- you will only need two out of the three in any given meal to get the protein you need. There's very little fat or saturated fat in those as well, so there's an added bonus. As for the deforestation argument, those areas are usually deforested to provide crops grown to feed food animals, whereas if society adopted a more vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, we wouldn't need anywhere near as many hectares of land to grow the food we need for ourselves. Link to stats

Tarkus

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm

How many grams of protein are you talking per meal, Tarkus, and how many grams of carbohydrate are in each meal, basically speaking? What about sugars or complex carbohydrates?

Innuendoes

Postby YAFF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:24 am

Lino wrote:I won't become a vegan by being imposed or something. It's incredible how some people preach veganism as priests and we're going to hell if we don't become one. It's a personal choice. We need protein and vitamin b12 that comes from meat and fish, and which vegans and vegetarians need to take as supplement, as it's beneficial for our blood and DNA, and very important for our health in general.
Plus, you talk about meat, but do you imagine the deforestation that takes place because of soya (and other things) in the Amazon and other rainforests?

You seem defensive, are you? I've never heard a priest threaten hell over veganism. How odd. Sorry if you had that experience. Yes it IS a personal choice because eating meat, eggs and dairy is 100% not necessary. A person can be perfectly healthy and satisfied without a single animal product.

You've been a victim of the "protein and B12" myth.

The best way to get B12 is to let your body produce it naturally, or eat unwashed organic fruits and vegetables with some soil intact.

For TRUE, UNBIASED, MEDICAL info on B12, check out
http://libaware.economads.com/b12issue.php
http://www.naturalnews.com/029531_vitamin_B12_vegan.html
http://drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 am

Innuendoes wrote:How many grams of protein are you talking per meal, Tarkus, and how many grams of carbohydrate are in each meal, basically speaking? What about sugars or complex carbohydrates?

I find this website very helpful...although my health is not the driving factor in my veganism. http://www.adaptt.org/veganism.html#
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:07 am

I am attempting to cook my first vegan meal. It's simple for the time being, crispy autumn purple potatoes.
Plant based on a budget is also a good site, that's where I came across more good ideas.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby YAFF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:23 am

icy wrote:I am attempting to cook my first vegan meal. It's simple for the time being, crispy autumn purple potatoes.
Plant based on a budget is also a good site, that's where I came across more good ideas.

Let us know how it goes!

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:34 am

icy wrote:I am attempting to cook my first vegan meal. It's simple for the time being, crispy autumn purple potatoes.

Your dinner is potatoes and nothing else?

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:44 am

Innuendoes wrote:

For me tonight, yes. Not up to cooking or even eating much today/tonight. Not meant to sound lazy, cause I just could have ordered food and had it delivered. Although it would have been easier to do that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:50 am

icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

For me tonight, yes. Not up to cooking or even eating much today/tonight. Not meant to sound lazy, cause I just could have ordered food and had it delivered. Although it would have been easier to do that.

There is no way I could eat like that and feel good at all. That's me and my body and makeup but I couldn't survive like that.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:00 am

Innuendoes wrote:
There is no way I could eat like that and feel good at all. That's me and my body and makeup but I couldn't survive like that.

If things go well this Wednesday , I have a big meal planned for a week from today. If not, I will plan something else.
In the meantime though, I'm taking one day at a time, here is hoping I feel better tommorow to eat more. This week will be rough, I already know and when I'm stressed I don't eat well and as much. You know I crave my snacks, but I don't even eat that at times.
The potatoes aren't bad as it turned out. I didn't eat many, but not because I didn't like it.

@ Yaff, yummy and i addded my own seasonings to it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby YAFF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 am

Innuendoes wrote:There is no way I could eat like that and feel good at all. That's me and my body and makeup but I couldn't survive like that.

You don't have to just eat potatoes. I eat quite well everyday. Potatoes are one of my favorite foods though.

If you are interested there is help available. It's worth the effort in every way.

1. No animal cruelty
2. Better for the environment
2, Healthier

Do you have a Target near you?

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 am

YAFF wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:There is no way I could eat like that and feel good at all. That's me and my body and makeup but I couldn't survive like that.

You don't have to just eat potatoes. I eat quite well everyday. Potatoes are one of my favorite foods though.

If you are interested there is help available. It's worth the effort in every way.

1. No animal cruelty
2. Better for the environment
2, Healthier

Do you have a Target near you?

I believe we discussed this a while back? I have food allergies, am hypoglycemic, have IBS and possibly Crohn's Disease (still waiting to be tested for Crohn's) and if I eat high carb food and not much protein, such as pinto beans for dinner, I feel sick, drowsy, can't think and I fall asleep. I need to eat protein, around 11-15 grams of it or 2 oz, every 4-6 hours. Also, a diet low in carbs and very little sugar.

Target is in another town. It costs me $27 or so for the taxi each way and $10 for the cart to get to and from it once inside the mall.

Innuendoes

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World