Try Veganism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Try Veganism

Postby sharon20 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:23 pm

This is some information regarding the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-on-earth
 
sharon20
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Just massively cutting down on beef is an excellent start from an environmental point of view.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Elessar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am

Well, this is awkward...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... e1fe434fca

I don’t think it would bother me if I was a vegan though. I mean come on, they’re bees.

Plus I don’t like avocado.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Elessar wrote:Well, this is awkward...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... e1fe434fca

I don’t think it would bother me if I was a vegan though. I mean come on, they’re bees.

Plus I don’t like avocado.


What is the gist? When I click on the link I keep getting a consent to set cookies, etc...
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby Elessar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:36 pm

YAFF wrote:
Elessar wrote:Well, this is awkward...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... e1fe434fca

I don’t think it would bother me if I was a vegan though. I mean come on, they’re bees.

Plus I don’t like avocado.


What is the gist? When I click on the link I keep getting a consent to set cookies, etc...


Most mass produced avocados aren’t truly vegan because farmed bees are used in their production.

It’s difficult to argue with really. Bees are about as involved in avocado as they are in honey.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Elessar wrote:Most mass produced avocados aren’t truly vegan because farmed bees are used in their production.

It’s difficult to argue with really. Bees are about as involved in avocado as they are in honey.


Thanks for the info. I'm a strict abolitionist vegan. However, the most accurate definition I've found is "Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

Perfection is virtually impossible (small animals and insects are usually affected by the growing of vegetables) so I rarely get too involved in these kind of gray areas. Usually issues like this are only brought up to attempt to find a flaw in the vegan's argument but once one understands what veganism is it isn't a problem. Immature thinkers fall prey to or use a slippery slope fallacy. "Oh insects often get killed making vegetables so we may as well go slaughter a pig". That kind of foolishness has never impressed me. This could also be seen as to be a reductio ad absurdum of the ethical vegan argument. That vegans who eat avocados but not bacon are somehow "hypocrites". One major difference of course is that bacon always and unequivocally resulted in the suffering and death of a pig while avocados may have or may not have involved migrated bees. Quite a large chasm there. Just like with things like wine. Most is not produced in a vegan manner so I make an effort to find a vegan option for wine (and lots of it lol). The more people who choose vegan only wine will improve the odds more vegan wine is produced and less of the alternative perhaps.

This info will, however, make me more aware of just what avocados I buy.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby WeeMann » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:05 am

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6457
Images: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby richardwas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Elessar wrote:
YAFF wrote:
Elessar wrote:Well, this is awkward...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... e1fe434fca

I don’t think it would bother me if I was a vegan though. I mean come on, they’re bees.

Plus I don’t like avocado.


What is the gist? When I click on the link I keep getting a consent to set cookies, etc...


Most mass produced avocados aren’t truly vegan because farmed bees are used in their production.

It’s difficult to argue with really. Bees are about as involved in avocado as they are in honey.


Indeed, quite difficult to debate on this. Kinda awkward :?
 
richardwas
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:00 pm

richardwas wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Most mass produced avocados aren’t truly vegan because farmed bees are used in their production.

It’s difficult to argue with really. Bees are about as involved in avocado as they are in honey.


Indeed, quite difficult to debate on this. Kinda awkward :?


Perfection is not necessary to exhibit as much compassion as possible and there is no slippery slope, ie, "Oh well we killed some bees so we may as well slaughter a pig". Not saying Elessar was using that fallacy- but it has been used countless times- but attempts to find tiny holes in the vegan argument is the wrong focus in my opinion.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Highly recommended vegan "turkey" (much better than Tofurky)

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby action » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

YAFF wrote:Highly recommended vegan "turkey" (much better than Tofurky)

Image


:vomit1:

no thanks, I'll keep my roasted beef with onions
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby YAFF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm

action wrote:
YAFF wrote:Highly recommended vegan "turkey" (much better than Tofurky)

Image


:vomit1:

no thanks, I'll keep my roasted beef with onions


Well you've always been a selfish, immature little boy so I'm not surprised by your bratty, petulant reply.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Try Veganism

Postby action » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Image

I could eat this all day 8-) what's not to like?
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests