The homeopathy challenge

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby ice on fire » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Maybe what I will say now is a fault of mine. I don't exclude anyone no matter if I am in agreement with them or not. I very well could stick to the people I *know* or at least *know* me, but that's not fun for me to be isolated like that.

ice on fire

Postby Belle Leisha » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

I don't exclude you, IoF, I spent about a week not responding to your posts (which were not directed at me anyway!) because I thought it would avoid another pointless argument. Also, think about it, if anyone excluded you because they disagreed, then you wouldn't know they disagreed. :P

You're not excluded! You're not looked down on, ignored or anything else! I'm sorry dude, but you really have to rid of this idea. Obviously, if you're going to insist you're mistreated here, then you're not going to have a very good time.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby ice on fire » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm

I know too well you don't exclude me :P. I am not saying I am mistreated, thankfully have not been in ages. I do disagree, argue, but no I am not mistreated.

ice on fire

Postby Zappanalé » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Is now a good time to mention the homeopathy challenge never happened because she chickened out?

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Nice and succinct:

http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e163 ... eytype=ref

(I'm not a consultant intensivist, just posting an article by one, although his occupation is, as ever, irrelevant)
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 am

I know how you feel abut homeopathy and you know how I feel. I know you say personal stories don't count but I have a friend who hasn't been able to sleep well for several years now. She got hold of some homeopathic remedy and is sleepy well now. I'm not about to tell her that people think its crap.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I know how you feel abut homeopathy and you know how I feel. I know you say personal stories don't count but I have a friend who hasn't been able to sleep well for several years now. She got hold of some homeopathic remedy and is sleepy well now. I'm not about to tell her that people think its crap.

I don't dispute the sequence of events at all. I'm sure she had difficulty sleeping, I'm sure she took homeopathy, and I'm sure she's now sleeping well. I'll even go as far as saying she's probably sleeping better because she took the homeopathy. What is definitely not true (and this isn't an opinion, it's a fact) is that the homeopathy molecules are acting upon her body in a way that improves her sleep. What's happening is that she believes it will work, feels less anxious at bedtime, and therefore sleeps well. She would get the same effect if she believed magic beans or praying would work. And to her, it absolutely does work. But she's being ripped off, because homeopathy is expensive and is quite literally just water.

Here's some fun trivia about the placebo effect. Compounds which definitely don't work pharmacologically exert a greater placebo effect if:

- It is injected rather than taken orally
- You take two pills instead of one
- The pills are brightly coloured
- It is expensive

Very interesting stuff, and the placebo effect is very powerful. But that's all homeopathy is. Placebo.

(I'm not a 'qualified' homeopathist or pharmacologist or tree surgeon or whatever other irrelevant qualification one may deem necessary)

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Your wasting your time. I don't care. I'm saying one word to my friend. Its helping her, and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. I went through and insomnia myself for a while and took sleeping pills. She didn't want to do that so she's doing this and its working. When you have something like insomnia, who the hell cares what works, long as you get back to sleep on a regular basis!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:Your wasting your time. I don't care. I'm saying one word to my friend. Its helping her, and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. I went through and insomnia myself for a while and took sleeping pills. She didn't want to do that so she's doing this and its working. When you have something like insomnia, who the hell cares what works, long as you get back to sleep on a regular basis!

I understand what you're saying, but I think that people actually do care what works. If, for example, drinking the blood of a freshly killed kitten worked, would you do it? Homeopathy is unethical. Those who profit from it sell their products in Africa as a cure for HIV. Children die. That should stop people from sleeping at night.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

http://www.homeopathyforhealthinafrica.org

The FAQ in particular is sickening. Straight-forward lies.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I've had a hell of time over the last two months between my doctor and the damn pharmacy to get my prescription filled for my allergies.
I'm getting off the drugs. Done with doctors, done with pharmacies. Homeopathy, pharmaceutical drugs, who cares? I'm done with all of them!!!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Zappanalé » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Enjoy Anaphylaxis.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Chronic rashes and snivelling is far more likely. You'd be pretty unlucky to go into anaphylactic shock due to untreated atopy!

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

A nice article by a doctor who was also the world's first Professor of Complementary Medicine:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/ ... ed-my-mind

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am

Well, I'm sold.

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free