The homeopathy challenge

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Well yeah, I do. The problem with Homeopathy is that those selling it, in some cases, are directly causes harm to people. It's not the act of using or believing in homeopathy that's the problem, it's the results. So if, on a theoretical basis, the homeopthaic remedies being believed in or used were causing no direct or indirect harm to anyone, it wouldn't be a very valid reason to not want to be friends with someone. I'm not sure what you mean with that end bit, if you mean people on here, then online "friendships" are a bit of a different thing, and I don't think anyone here would begrudge a live and let live attitude alone.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm

It all depends on the way the disagreements take place. The age-old example is that Belle and I completely agree about a magic man making the world.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah, if you can have an intelligent, reasonable debate about something, without resorting to name calling, "the problem with you" type posts, or the I actually only read one line of your post but I'm going to have a cow about it anyway, type post, or taking an objective comment unreasonably personally, then differing opinions are just interesting, rather than divisive.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

No, your just ok with the fact that he thinks your retarded for believing in the "magic man".
Similiar to when a religious person puts on the "hate the sin, not the sinner" nonesense and pretends to be friends with a gay person.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Delilah » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I have two friends who believe in homeopathy. They know that I think it's silly and I know that they think I'm close-minded about it, but we banter jokingly instead of outright fighting about it. It's not really an issue. Most of my friends at least marginally believe in God too, and that's also not really an issue.

The people I can't be friends with are racists, sexists, and homophobes. Those are issues that I can't really get past and just accept in a friend. Those things do become really nasty arguments.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Delilah wrote:I have two friends who believe in homeopathy. They know that I think it's silly and I know that they think I'm close-minded about it, but we banter jokingly instead of outright fighting about it. It's not really an issue. Most of my friends at least marginally believe in God too, and that's also not really an issue.

The people I can't be friends with are racists, sexists, and homophobes. Those are issues that I can't really get past and just accept in a friend. Those things do become really nasty arguments.

Yes, I agree with that last paragraph. I can tolerate mild levels of any of those three things, if they're due to ignorance or inexperience, but genuine '-ism' is something I really can't get along with. People are often surprised at how angry I get with people who are clearly genuinely racist/sexist/homophobic, because I regularly make the kind of jokes that would lead some to believe that I myself am some of those things, but as soon as it stops being a joke and starts being serious, I get very liberal very quickly!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:09 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:No, your just ok with the fact that he thinks your retarded for believing in the "magic man".
Similiar to when a religious person puts on the "hate the sin, not the sinner" nonesense and pretends to be friends with a gay person.

That's fantastic, you're sweepingly presuming to know exactly what both of us are thinking there, amazing. No, it's very simple, he doesn't have the same beliefs as I do, and it's not a problem. I don't think anything of him for his views and would hope the same is true in reverse.

I could not sustain a friendship as Dee says, with racists, sexists or homophobes, I'd struggle to do so with other forms of wilful ignorance too.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Princess of Rhye » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Elessar wrote:
Yes, I agree with that last paragraph. I can tolerate mild levels of any of those three things, if they're due to ignorance or inexperience, but genuine '-ism' is something I really can't get along with. People are often surprised at how angry I get with people who are clearly genuinely racist/sexist/homophobic, because I regularly make the kind of jokes that would lead some to believe that I myself am some of those things, but as soon as it stops being a joke and starts being serious, I get very liberal very quickly!

Could not agree more. I'm exactly the same. I actually think that not only is it OK to make jokes (although not too vulgar and of course in the right situation/company) about such serious issues, but sometimes, it is actually even essential to some extent. I believe that if something becomes so taboo, it's forbidden to talk about it in a light-hearted, humorous way (or to even mention it at all), it just makes it an even bigger problem.

For example, take the jokes about the holocaust. I can honestly say that I don't find them at all funny myself, normally. But I once watched a clip on youtube where someone had made a music video with the theme from e.g. Disney's "Talespin", combined with air force planes from the second world war. I thought it looked hysterical, and immediately felt ashamed afterwards because I laughed at something associated with the most horrible thing that I know of. But, it also hit me that because we can laugh at aspects of something horrible and wrong that really upset us, that means that we will also remember it. I laugh and that shows that I can make a distance between it and myself, and that I can also see it from the other side. It's when something that serious becomes so taboo we respect it too much, hence we can't talk about it, that we will eventually forget why it's wrong.

So, in other words, the best thing to prevent serious things like racism, homophobia etc, is to make fun out of it, break the ice, let it be spoken about.
I'm rambling and struggling to put my Swedish thoughts into English words, i hope it makes sense..

Princess of Rhye
Spread Your Wings

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm sorry I just don't agree. When it comes to religion, politics and other social issues (homeopathy can be one if the feelings are strong enough, like here) if there is a difference of opinion your always going to have one person or even both people thinking they are superior to the other one. That is always going to be there. There is no way a completely honest friendship can ever happen.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I can't think of anything more boring than agreeing with someone about absolutely everything.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:11 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:When it comes to religion, politics and other social issues (homeopathy can be one if the feelings are strong enough, like here) if there is a difference of opinion your always going to have one person or even both people thinking they are superior to the other one. That is always going to be there. There is no way a completely honest friendship can ever happen.

Interesting. My wife and I don't share the same political views, yet we've been happily married for 13 years, neither of us thinking we're superior to the other (in fact, in my view, my wife is a better human being than me on several levels).

Are you saying our marriage is based on a lie?

I think your comments say a lot more about you than you may realise.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:33 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I'm sorry I just don't agree. When it comes to religion, politics and other social issues (homeopathy can be one if the feelings are strong enough, like here) if there is a difference of opinion your always going to have one person or even both people thinking they are superior to the other one. That is always going to be there. There is no way a completely honest friendship can ever happen.

Do you not think that maybe just because that's the case for you, it doesn't necessarily mean it is for everyone else? If you're not able to have an honest friendship with someone because you disagree on matters of religion or politics, then I'm sorry for you.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Broooklyn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm

You're!

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:58 pm

I don't feel superior to anyone. But I've had it plenty where people have felt superior to me for their views. Particularly on religious and political views. Thats where I'm coming from here. I've never ever had an honest friendship with anyone who has strong differing views than me. If I'd brought anything up it just winds up a fight with them telling me I'm going to hell for voting Democrat or something. Thats superiority when you think your going to heaven and others are going to hell right? Right.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:09 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I don't feel superior to anyone. But I've had it plenty where people have felt superior to me for their views. Particularly on religious and political views. Thats where I'm coming from here. I've never ever had an honest friendship with anyone who has strong differing views than me. If I'd brought anything up it just winds up a fight with them telling me I'm going to hell for voting Democrat or something. Thats superiority when you think your going to heaven and others are going to hell right? Right.

The feeling that people think they're superior to you surely suggests that you find it easy to think you're inferior?
Why not flip it around? If someone acts like they're superior to you based on something ridiculous like the fact that they think they're going to Magic Land, why not grin and bear it, while inwarlyd feeling that you yourself are the superior one in terms of rationality?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World