The homeopathy challenge

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 pm

But that again is a problem in the method of discussion, one, that it's a fight not a discussion, and two, that's in not an exchange of views, it's someone telling someone else they're wrong. If you can have a reasonable debate, as plenty of people with differing views can, then it's more than possible to have an honest friendship despite differing views on religion and politics.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Delilah » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:46 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I'm sorry I just don't agree. When it comes to religion, politics and other social issues (homeopathy can be one if the feelings are strong enough, like here) if there is a difference of opinion your always going to have one person or even both people thinking they are superior to the other one. That is always going to be there. There is no way a completely honest friendship can ever happen.

I kinda see what you're getting at. I don't feel like a superior person to my friends who are religious or believe that homeopathy works, but I feel that my opinions on these things are superior to theirs. If I didn't, I wouldn't hold those opinions. By the same token, they think that their opinions on religion and homeopathy are superior to mine, or they'd agree with me. It's not anything personal or any kind of insult to a friend to think that you are smarter in one area of life than they are. It's nearly always true that they are much smarter in another area of life than you are, so the superiority/inferiority perception balances out nicely. None of my friends are perfect, and I'm damned sure not. We don't expect each other to be right about everything, so we allow for "flaws" in one another.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not talking about differences of opinions. I'm talking about strong differences of povs. If person x believes everyone who believes in or supports homeopathy is totally and completely wrong and stupid. How much of an honest friendship can anyone who does support homeopathy have with that person? That superiority that person x has is always going to be there.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:24 am

Lady Godiva wrote:But (as others have already pointed out), by your definition of having this superiority complex against other people who don't share your opinion, then the same goes for person y. Both sides are going to think that their opinions are superior to the other. That doesn't mean they can't be friends.

What's the difference between an opinion and a point of view (strong or not)??!

Yes it does mean they can't be friends. You are not a true friend with someone you feel superior to.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:17 am

Lady Godiva wrote:You’re not feeling superior to that person, it’s your opinion that you feel is superior to their opinion.

Besides, that is YOUR opinion that people feel superior to you if they disagree over certain matters. I am certainly not arrogant enough to believe that I am better than religious people because I’m an atheist. Likewise, I am not insecure enough to care that a believer in homeopathies feels that they are superior to me.

I don't either. The issue isn't if you care, the issue is if true friendship can be had in that situation. I'm saying it can't.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 am

Sharing political and religious views is certainly a good thing, that's undeniable. But it really isn't crucial to a friendship or even a relationship. There has to be something you can have banter about. With one girl for me it was accent - for some ridiculous reason she felt that 'leisure' rhymes with 'seizure' amongst other insanities. The arguing about it would become really quite intense! It's all good fun. Also we had almost identical taste in TV, except she hated Lost. So I'd regularly talk about how people who don't like it are clearly strange, soulless people, and she'd say Lost is for losers.

On another occasion I was getting to know someone and we were discovering that we agree on absolutely everything, so then when we finally found some non-common ground (me = OCD tidy; her = untidy) I was pleased, as we had found something we could tease each other about.

With bigger issues like politics and religion I cam see more of a problem. Religious views that bring with them
nasty homophobia or racism are views I don't think I could live with, nor could I tolerate extreme right-wing views. But I've considered the theoretical possibility of a moderately devout religious person. In terms of 'concessions', I'd happily get married in a church, although I would cut the 'God' part from my vows (that'd require a very generous priest/vicar!), and I'd also be happy for my children to be baptised, as baptism is essentially just for the family's benefit. However I would not be able to agree to send them to a religious school, and while I'd happily let the wife teach them about religion, I'd make sure we had a very clear agreement that she'd always says it's what SHE believes and that it's up to him/her whether or not he/she believes it, because no one knows if it's true. And of course Daddy would reinforce that, and would nip any signs of indoctrination in the bud.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:24 am

Lady Godiva wrote:Lost IS for losers

You're the loser.

Elessar

Postby Delilah » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 am

Elessar wrote:for some ridiculous reason she felt that 'leisure' rhymes with 'seizure'

Motherfucker it does!

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 am

Delilah wrote:
Elessar wrote:for some ridiculous reason she felt that 'leisure' rhymes with 'seizure'

Motherfucker it does!

Only in countries where you can't speak English.

It rhymes with "Pleasure" which is something I get when taking the piss out of how your mob speak our fine tongue :P
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 am

I once got told that I apparently couldn't speak English correctly.

...By a German bloke who'd learnt the language to degree level, in Los Angeles.

I had to explain to him, that mastering a language primarily means that you are able to communicate fully with someone else who naturally uses the language on a day to day basis, not another person educated in text book "bastardisations" of the language.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Delilah » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm

WeeMann wrote:Only in countries where you can't speak English.

It rhymes with "Pleasure" which is something I get when taking the piss out of how your mob speak our fine tongue :P

Puuuuleeeeze....we perfected it. Y'all tea-drinkin' redcoat pussies just came up with the first draft.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Tero! » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm actually amazed how small the differences in English are across the Atlantic... Australians have been developing their language for half of the time, and it sounds twice as weird as American English. :-P
< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 am

Lady Godiva wrote:Pah! I picked up tuneage in England. I haven't heard a single Australian (aside from myself) add "age" to any random word! :P

Used to have a local dj on a rock station that used to talk about the tuneage he was playing during his show all the time! LOL!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby WeeMann » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 am

Lady Godiva wrote:Well there you go. Australian English is perfect. It's the Yanks and the Poms who are messing with it :wink:

Oi! The clue's in the name. Do you want me to get onto the Aussies stealing it as they were being deported from England? :lol:
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby WeeMann » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am

Lady Godiva wrote:Learn your history. It was the English being deported from England. :mrgreen: The Aussies weren't invented yet!

That's what I meant, they became Aussies by virtue of being deported :lol:

WeeMann

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World