The homeopathy challenge

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:17 pm

WeeMann wrote:It's taken you since July of last year to find a joke you could post in this thread??? :shock: :lol:


Nah, I found the joke and needed a thread to post it in. Citrullus has fallen, so I had to dig up a homeopathy one.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Elessar wrote:
WeeMann wrote:It's taken you since July of last year to find a joke you could post in this thread??? :shock: :lol:


Nah, I found the joke and needed a thread to post it in. Citrullus has fallen, so I had to dig up a homeopathy one.


We should have tried homoeopathy.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm

PTRACER wrote:Homoeothopy? I won't even ask what that is. Was it called Citrullus Lanatus to confuse the general population and dissuade them from wanting to post in it?


No, it was originally called Watermelon (English for Citrullus lanatas), but someone found the name offensive so I changed it.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm

PTRACER wrote:Homoeothopy? I won't even ask what that is. Was it called Citrullus Lanatus to confuse the general population and dissuade them from wanting to post in it?


No it was called that as a reference to an incident. It was supposed to be a debate thread sans the personal bull, anyone incapable of having such a thing, would be hopefully dissuaded. It derailed slightly.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 pm

The original thread has gone, sadly. Good Company was lost in the board changeover.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 pm

PTRACER wrote:I see...I read a throwaway comment where someone said "If you didn't want us posting in your thread, you should have mentioned it" and I thought "Ooops". Especially as I don't even post in that section.


The only rule of Citrullus lanatas was that people had to understand the Monty Hall Problem before posting. I suspect that this wasn't always obeyed, although the rule did have the caveat that the rule is completely unenforceable. I suppose the only way it could ever be enforced was simply by boarding up the windows and abandoning the thread.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 pm

The argument that inspired Citrullus lanatas was one about whether or not a KFC advert featuring black people eating fried chicken was racist. Think of that! How times have changed - now we're worried that saying Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a silly word is racist.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 pm

PTRACER wrote:Monty Hall Problem, Streisand Effect...never heard of either of them. I know Steptoe Syndrome though. And I'm aware of stimulation of the nociceptors in the glutes due to the combustion of frozen dihydrogen oxide.


Amazing!

I worked that out word by word, and when I got to the answer I wanted to hug you.


(Monty Hall problem = variable change, always change your mind after picking a door and having one of the wrong ones eliminated; Streisand Effect = trying to suppress something results in its publicity being increased)
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Elessar wrote:The argument that inspired Citrullus lanatas was one about whether or not a KFC advert featuring black people eating fried chicken was racist. Think of that! How times have changed - now we're worried that saying Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a silly word is racist.


That's not a word, it's the name of a place and not even the real name, it's a deliberately daft tourist attraction, in English it's a sentence, which it you were to squash all the words together in would look equally daft. It's also a bitch of a place to ask directions to, with the locals pretending not to know where you mean. :P
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 pm

PTRACER wrote:Monty Hall Problem, Streisand Effect...never heard of either of them. I know Steptoe Syndrome though. And I'm aware of stimulation of the nociceptors in the glutes due to the combustion of frozen dihydrogen oxide.


That took a while. :lol:

CL was never meant to stop people joining in, it was just an attempt at a place for discussions which didn't end in wanting to break your own keyboard on someone elses head, for anyone at all with that shared goal. :P It worked for a while too.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Monty Hall Problem, Streisand Effect...never heard of either of them. I know Steptoe Syndrome though. And I'm aware of stimulation of the nociceptors in the glutes due to the combustion of frozen dihydrogen oxide.


Amazing!

I worked that out word by word, and when I got to the answer I wanted to hug you.

(Monty Hall problem = variable change, always change your mind after picking a door and having one of the wrong ones eliminated; Streisand Effect = trying to suppress something results in its publicity being increased)


Wikipedia helped me construct the sentence...Biology was one of my strongest subjects in college, but it's been five years!

How does the Monty Hall problem apply to your Watermelon thread?


Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.

The dihydrogen monoxide hoax is funny. Thousands of morons calling for this terrible, corrosive chemical that is found in all cancer tumours, is fatal if inhaled, and is present in acid rain, to be banned. Sigh.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Nah, someone will try to make it about them.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Elessar wrote:
Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.



Also if you understood it, or were willing to go look it up, read it and come back, then there was a good chance you didn't want to have a row every few seconds or assume being young/a student/have pens in your pocket/Lib Dem supporter/fan of books etc, meant your opinion was invalid.

I don't believe for a second that understanding of the Monty Hall problem or anything similar suggests you are 100% empirical, but I also don't think you need to be cynical/empirical to be reasonable, or to think someone not believing in such things will make them bad at their future job. ;)
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.



Also if you understood it, or were willing to go look it up, read it and come back, then there was a good chance you didn't want to have a row every few seconds or assume being young/a student/have pens in your pocket/Lib Dem supporter/fan of books etc, meant your opinion was invalid.

I don't believe for a second that understanding of the Monty Hall problem or anything similar suggests you are 100% empirical, but I also don't think you need to be cynical/empirical to be reasonable, or to think someone not believing in such things will make them bad at their future job. ;)


Exactly. All good points.
Some extremely clever people (cleverer than me, if you can imagine such a specimen) have disagreed with the Monty Hall problem, but eventually they all come round to the idea. And when they do, they're suitable for Citrullus.

Fan of books...lulz.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11470
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: The homeopathy challenge

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Elessar wrote:Because to understand the Monty Hall problem you have to have a grasp of basic statistics, and if you do, you won't believe in homeopathy or voodoo or ghosts or 2012 or psychics or any other nonsense. Belle occasionally claims to believe in God, but none of us believe her.

The dihydrogen monoxide hoax is funny. Thousands of morons calling for this terrible, corrosive chemical that is found in all cancer tumours, is fatal if inhaled, and is present in acid rain, to be banned. Sigh.


Poor Belle...We must seem like the annoying people who try to convince people like us that Queen were a "rubbish band and...Limp Bizkit are better".



:lol: Life would be very dull indeed if someone didn't occasionally try to tell me Queen are shit. ;)
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests