What comes after this life ?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

What comes after this life ?

Postby TheHero » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Anybody found out ?

It is so weird to think about it.. life is so short, and no one really knows what we are doing here, apart from
staying alive and trying our best to live a good life, against all odds.

I am still very shocked when I start thinking about what is really going on.. ?

I understand that I was the one being born because I came first in the race .. but I still don't know why I was born.
What was the point? Why did I rush so fast to be born when I did not know what life was ? And where was I before I was born, the last billion years or so ?
And where were you ? :)

The crazy thing is that people live 80 years, and then they are gone for billions of years. . I mean. .billions of years?
How weird isn't that ? I mean. . It is a long time to be gone for an eternity. .. but how can we sense time when we are dead?

This is more crazy than the craziest sci fi movie. . And still this is reality as far as I know..

Is this the real life, is this just fantasy? It is a really good question. .

When Newton was around, when they built the pyramids, where were you guys? And where was I ?
I can not remember that I waited for billions of years to finally be born.. according to logic I will not remember how long
I will be dead because I was already dead before I was born.. And I can not remember a thing from that period ..

Does this prove that time is relative? When billions of years feel like nothing, then I wonder if time really
exsists at all.. or is time an illusion of reality. Is time confusing us and blinding us ? Is past, present and future happening now?
These users thanked the author TheHero for the post:
Billy Bob Dylan
Stew Pid
Young Rocker
Crazy Little Queenie
Sweet Lady 39
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby julymorning » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 am

Are you high??
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 am

julymorning wrote:Are you high??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9611
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby fairydandy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Aaaah, the religious amongst us laugh. :roll: Well, in their ridiculous little world, the planet is a few thousand years old, so they have to laugh, they don't know how to think beyond that absurd little book of theirs. Let them laugh....the priest has been called to deliver the last rites for religion anyway.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 7898
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby julymorning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm

fairydandy wrote:Aaaah, the religious amongst us laugh. :roll: Well, in their ridiculous little world, the planet is a few thousand years old, so they have to laugh, they don't know how to think beyond that absurd little book of theirs. Let them laugh....the priest has been called to deliver the last rites for religion anyway.



Let me try this again. For some reason something is preventing me from posting.

Ok, first, I believe we were laughing at the random bouncing from one question to another, leaving no cohesive way to even try to answer the first question, let alone all of them. Much like the way folks talk on good weed.

Second, I am not particularly religious, just because I made a long term effort to understand what is in that "absurd little book", and make sense of it, does not make me so.

Third, to say the (this?) planet is a few thousand years old is neither scientific or scriptural, or logical.

Fourth, do not presume to pretend to know HOW I think. You will never figure that out.

Fifth, hold your laugh, and see if it's indeed the last laugh. Whatever happens to religion, particularly all the false religion, the Creator will prevail. I guess if anyone else comes out of it alive, it's up to Him.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:06 pm

julymorning wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Aaaah, the religious amongst us laugh. :roll: Well, in their ridiculous little world, the planet is a few thousand years old, so they have to laugh, they don't know how to think beyond that absurd little book of theirs. Let them laugh....the priest has been called to deliver the last rites for religion anyway.



Let me try this again. For some reason something is preventing me from posting.

Ok, first, I believe we were laughing at the random bouncing from one question to another, leaving no cohesive way to even try to answer the first question, let alone all of them. Much like the way folks talk on good weed.

Second, I am not particularly religious, just because I made a long term effort to understand what is in that "absurd little book", and make sense of it, does not make me so.

Third, to say the (this?) planet is a few thousand years old is neither scientific or scriptural, or logical.

Fourth, do not presume to pretend to know HOW I think. You will never figure that out.

Fifth, hold your laugh, and see if it's indeed the last laugh. Whatever happens to religion, particularly all the false religion, the Creator will prevail. I guess if anyone else comes out of it alive, it's up to Him.


Why do you think this comment was making fun of you? Indeed you are right, TheHero IS or was high. :P .
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby icy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:25 pm

TheHero wrote:Anybody found out ?

It is so weird to think about it.. life is so short, and no one really knows what we are doing here, apart from
staying alive and trying our best to live a good life, against all odds.

I am still very shocked when I start thinking about what is really going on.. ?

I understand that I was the one being born because I came first in the race .. but I still don't know why I was born.
What was the point? Why did I rush so fast to be born when I did not know what life was ? And where was I before I was born, the last billion years or so ?
And where were you ? :)

The crazy thing is that people live 80 years, and then they are gone for billions of years. . I mean. .billions of years?
How weird isn't that ? I mean. . It is a long time to be gone for an eternity. .. but how can we sense time when we are dead?

This is more crazy than the craziest sci fi movie. . And still this is reality as far as I know..

Is this the real life, is this just fantasy? It is a really good question. .

When Newton was around, when they built the pyramids, where were you guys? And where was I ?
I can not remember that I waited for billions of years to finally be born.. according to logic I will not remember how long
I will be dead because I was already dead before I was born.. And I can not remember a thing from that period ..

Does this prove that time is relative? When billions of years feel like nothing, then I wonder if time really
exsists at all.. or is time an illusion of reality. Is time confusing us and blinding us ? Is past, present and future happening now?

:spin:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 14531
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: Persona non grata
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 493 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby TheHero » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I was not high, but I can see your point. ;)

Still, I am not laughing of the question, what comes after this life ?

There are more dead people in the history than there are people alive on the earth today, and believe it or not, one day it will happen to us as well, and I suppose it will be too late to discuss and have an opinion about the topic then.

What is really interesting, is the fact that we don't know anything about at all, not more about it than the people living on this earth thousands of years ago (I suppose). Something as natural as being dead is still the biggest mystery in the universe!
These users thanked the author TheHero for the post:
Billy Bob Dylan
Stew Pid
Young Rocker
Crazy Little Queenie
Sweet Lady 39
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby julymorning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Simon wrote:
julymorning wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Aaaah, the religious amongst us laugh. :roll: Well, in their ridiculous little world, the planet is a few thousand years old, so they have to laugh, they don't know how to think beyond that absurd little book of theirs. Let them laugh....the priest has been called to deliver the last rites for religion anyway.



Let me try this again. For some reason something is preventing me from posting.

Ok, first, I believe we were laughing at the random bouncing from one question to another, leaving no cohesive way to even try to answer the first question, let alone all of them. Much like the way folks talk on good weed.

Second, I am not particularly religious, just because I made a long term effort to understand what is in that "absurd little book", and make sense of it, does not make me so.

Third, to say the (this?) planet is a few thousand years old is neither scientific or scriptural, or logical.

Fourth, do not presume to pretend to know HOW I think. You will never figure that out.

Fifth, hold your laugh, and see if it's indeed the last laugh. Whatever happens to religion, particularly all the false religion, the Creator will prevail. I guess if anyone else comes out of it alive, it's up to Him.


Why do you think this comment was making fun of you? Indeed you are right, TheHero IS or was high. :P .


I did not think, nor did I say he was making fun of ME.
He was mocking me making a joke about it, and/or mocking Inny for laughing at what I said. And he was being presumptuous. That is all. The Hero certainly didnt exhibit any indication of laughter in his post.

Now, I'm done here. The both of you have ruined a perfectly good bit of hilarity.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

A living organism is simply a huge number of complicated chemical reactions that occur together because that's the best way to ensure that little strings of amino acids can be successfully replicated.

The experience of 'life' is probably more accurately the notion of 'consciousness', which is arguably simply a by-product of our complex brains.

There's nothing before or after this particular 'life' because life is not an external force acting upon an organic body; it is something created by and within that organic body. When the body is gone, the life is over. Asking what happens to the life afterwards is like asking what happens to the fire after the coal has run out. The fire hasn't been spirited off to heaven. It's gone, simple as that.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby TheHero » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Elessar wrote:
There's nothing before or after this particular 'life' because life is not an external force acting upon an organic body; it is something created by and within that organic body. When the body is gone, the life is over. Asking what happens to the life afterwards is like asking what happens to the fire after the coal has run out. The fire hasn't been spirited off to heaven. It's gone, simple as that.


So when we die, there will be nothing more at all ?
These users thanked the author TheHero for the post:
Billy Bob Dylan
Stew Pid
Young Rocker
Crazy Little Queenie
Sweet Lady 39
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:
There's nothing before or after this particular 'life' because life is not an external force acting upon an organic body; it is something created by and within that organic body. When the body is gone, the life is over. Asking what happens to the life afterwards is like asking what happens to the fire after the coal has run out. The fire hasn't been spirited off to heaven. It's gone, simple as that.


So when we die, there will be nothing more at all ?


Well there might be but I don't see any reason why there should be. The only reason why there might be is if 'life' is a separate entity that for some reason is instilled into organisms at some point in their development. I don't see any logical reason why that should be the case. I accept that living organisms can't be artificially created from raw materials so arguably 'life' is more than just a load of chemical reactions, but I don't think it's enough of an issue to necessitate some sort of 'soul'. Do twins have two souls? Does the soul split in half when the embryo does?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby TheHero » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Electricity; the energy delivering the thoughts in your brain, your feeling of pain, your movements, your random memory, your long-time memory etc., everything you have learned. The same energy is inside the atoms. Electricity is also in the atoms in the air, in lightning, our computers and atoms inside the stars. In fact we consist of material from inside an exploding star. Sound and light, waves going through atoms. Your eyes see a certain spectrum, visible light, your ears hear a certain frequency. The technology is old, really old, nothing new, though it seems like we invented it, but we have just discovered it.

How can we know if our lives are nothing but a computer program, existing somewhere in space?
Maybe when you die, you will wake up in a control room somewhere, sitting in a chair and everyone around you tell you that you have been through an education programme that lasted for 1 hour, but for you it felt like 90 years. After all you can not disagree, because time is relative, whatever time is.
Last edited by TheHero on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author TheHero for the post:
Billy Bob Dylan
Stew Pid
Young Rocker
Crazy Little Queenie
Sweet Lady 39
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby action » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 pm

fairydandy wrote:Aaaah, the religious amongst us laugh. :roll: Well, in their ridiculous little world, the planet is a few thousand years old, so they have to laugh, they don't know how to think beyond that absurd little book of theirs. Let them laugh....the priest has been called to deliver the last rites for religion anyway.


action says, the sun is actually a giant stroboscope that hangs in the sky 50km above earth

the stars are little light spots on the "roof" 8-)
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I want the truth

      
 
Posts: 2167
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby YAFF » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 pm

TheHero wrote:I was not high, but I can see your point. ;)

Still, I am not laughing of the question, what comes after this life ?

There are more dead people in the history than there are people alive on the earth today, and believe it or not, one day it will happen to us as well, and I suppose it will be too late to discuss and have an opinion about the topic then.

What is really interesting, is the fact that we don't know anything about at all, not more about it than the people living on this earth thousands of years ago (I suppose). Something as natural as being dead is still the biggest mystery in the universe!


I sure hope there's something. NDE's are interesting.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Next

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests