What comes after this life ?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:45 pm

A lot of homicidal maniacs claim to hear voices telling them what to do.

Apparently it helps them to sleep better at night.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14284
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 pm

People sure do pray for guidance to make the right decisions in life whether that be to take a certain job, to do the right things by their brothers or sisters, or to make the right decision, especially something as difficult as declaring a war on someone else.

In my church, we do not pray to go kill someone, nor do we advocate it but wars happen and we pray for everyone on all sides. We pray for peace, pray for less pain, suffering and we also pray for healing for the sick, we pray for those that are dying and for those who are ill. I seriously doubt Bush was hearing voices. :roll:

To quote a great song writer and poet -

My peace my peace is all I’ve got that I can give to you
My peace is all I ever had that’s all I ever knew
I give my peace to green and black and red and white and blue
My peace my peace is all I’ve got that I can give to you

My peace, my peace is all I’ve got and all I've ever known
My peace is worth a thousand times more than anything I own
I pass my peace around and about ‘cross hands of every hue;
I guess my peace is just about all I’ve got to give to you
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9700
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby icy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:45 am

I love that quote Inny. I read it when you posted it, and it took my breath away. Very powerful.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 14636
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: Persona non grata
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 500 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby JLP » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 pm

It is scary that the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth admits to saying God told him to invade another country though. He is on record as saying that but I am not going looking for links.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10216
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 377 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:08 pm

What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14284
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby fairydandy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Innuendoes wrote:People sure do pray for guidance to make the right decisions in life whether that be to take a certain job, to do the right things by their brothers or sisters, or to make the right decision, especially something as difficult as declaring a war on someone else.

In my church, we do not pray to go kill someone, nor do we advocate it but wars happen and we pray for everyone on all sides. We pray for peace, pray for less pain, suffering and we also pray for healing for the sick, we pray for those that are dying and for those who are ill. I seriously doubt Bush was hearing voices. :roll:


I'm sure they do Inny. It's all complete and utter nonsense though. If you pray for guidance and make a decision that turns out to be totally bloody dreadful and seriously the wrong thing to have done, do you blame god?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 7966
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:People sure do pray for guidance to make the right decisions in life whether that be to take a certain job, to do the right things by their brothers or sisters, or to make the right decision, especially something as difficult as declaring a war on someone else.

In my church, we do not pray to go kill someone, nor do we advocate it but wars happen and we pray for everyone on all sides. We pray for peace, pray for less pain, suffering and we also pray for healing for the sick, we pray for those that are dying and for those who are ill. I seriously doubt Bush was hearing voices. :roll:


I'm sure they do Inny. It's all complete and utter nonsense though. If you pray for guidance and make a decision that turns out to be totally bloody dreadful and seriously the wrong thing to have done, do you blame god?


Then he works in mysterious ways.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby bluerhap » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Simon wrote:
fairydandy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:People sure do pray for guidance to make the right decisions in life whether that be to take a certain job, to do the right things by their brothers or sisters, or to make the right decision, especially something as difficult as declaring a war on someone else.

In my church, we do not pray to go kill someone, nor do we advocate it but wars happen and we pray for everyone on all sides. We pray for peace, pray for less pain, suffering and we also pray for healing for the sick, we pray for those that are dying and for those who are ill. I seriously doubt Bush was hearing voices. :roll:


I'm sure they do Inny. It's all complete and utter nonsense though. If you pray for guidance and make a decision that turns out to be totally bloody dreadful and seriously the wrong thing to have done, do you blame god?


Then he works in mysterious ways.

And people of the world.......we look forward to seeing those glorious days again!....
 
bluerhap
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby julymorning » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Kes wrote:The point I was trying to make is that religion is given as the major cause to motivate people, and often this factor is even handed, whatever the faith.

Certainly back in the Second World War, allied forces would have padres telling the troops that God was on their side, and that going out and killing the opposition was the right thing to do in the eyes of God. Do we think the Germans had a different set of values? That then begs the question if God was actually on anybody's side, if both sides followed the same God to equal measure. And subsequently, why God should have entered the equation in the first place, other than to motivate people to break his first commandment. :lookround:

So the REALLY important overview I was trying to convey, was that the sooner religion, in ANY form, isn't given as a motivational factor to establish differences between people, or as an excuse to do bad things to others, the sooner we, as a planet, can actually move forward together.

I see too many instances where "God" plays a part, in the motivation of getting someone grabbing a rifle and fucking off to foreign shores to go and kill someone who believes in a similar (but not the same) concept, and that's not particular religion specific.


I understand your point, and this additional pov is another point of reason I am very familiar with. Have even used it myself in the past. I was merely expanding on it by trying to shed light on the whole idea of murderous backing from God, because you never know who is reading all this that doesn't see the fallacy of citing God as their excuse for mayhem and harm.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1528
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 406 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Personally, I'm agnostic, but if someone else has chosen to believe in something, it's not really my place to try and convince them differently. I try and see it from both sides of the fence.

If I think it's wrong for someone to try to preach their beliefs to me, it would be equally wrong for me to do the same with non-belief to them.

Above and beyond that, the issues I was presenting revolve largely around instances where other people ARE being affected by someone else's faith or beliefs.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14284
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm

As regards the original question, it's "my belief", that in the moment of death, or within seconds of it, our perceptions fade to either brilliant light, or total darkness, and then that's it... Goodnight Vienna! You don't go anywhere specific, you just GO. The only thing left of your life, is in the memories of the living.

Afterlife? Nah, I don't think so. What's the point? It would be terribly crowded wherever it's supposed to be, and there'd be a lot of pissed off people there, who might think they never had a proper life. Grim Reapers leading you down to the fires, or blokes with wings flying you up to the clouds? What were these people smoking when they dreamt this stuff up?

Reincarnation? Pretty pointless idea unless you carried your previous consciousness-es along with it, and then get enough lifetimes inside you, and I think you'd get pretty crowded just within your own head. As I said, if you don't carry anything forward into the next body, it's a pretty useless concept.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14284
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby fairydandy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Kes wrote:If I think it's wrong for someone to try to preach their beliefs to me, it would be equally wrong for me to do the same with non-belief to them.


But you can't preach a 'non-belief' anyway...there is nothing to preach! The non-believer does have a right to question them as to why they believe though. In 2015, I would have thought that we should at least get some sort of a sensible answer. :roll:

I hate religion with an absolute passion, it strikes me as bordering on lunacy to believe that garbage in this day and age.

I don't hate the religious, not at all. Each to their own and all that. So, I think they are lunatics to believe it, but it's their right to be lunatics. ;) I know some really nice lunatics....
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 7966
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 pm

We're singing from the same hymnsheet, metaphorically speaking. :-)

Except I don't have as much reason as you might to be pissed off with the concept. Even more than the rest of society in general, religion has had some very extreme ways of trying to marginalise people who don't fit squarely into their ideal of being monogamous heterosexuals. We won't go too heavily into the misdemeanours of "some" of the people who take to the cloth, but it's not that far removed from what Jimmy Savile was doing with his charity work.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14284
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:04 am

I am not totally convinced by Bill Maher, but he has some great lines in his stand-up comedy. One is where he addresses the weird clothing the Catholic Church uses: "It's a fine line between liturgy and Liberace."

I also like his film "Religulous". Of course it's biased as hell, but getting a senator to admit that "you don't have to pass an IQ test to become senator" wow... (I think it was about the topic of Creationism vs Evolution).

Image

Should be available on Youtube.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 am

LOLOLOLOL, if you think the picture on the cover of that book is how Catholics dress, for church or whenever, you have a hell of a lot to learn. LOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9700
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 338 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: musicalprostitute and 4 guests