What comes after this life ?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Kes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:27 pm

From what I could see of the picture, there are three monkeys on it.

One done up in Christian attire, one in Muslim, and one as a Jew. I think the clothes on the said monkeys is symbolic, and not a neccessararily defined interpretation of how all Christians, Muslims and Jews dress.

Being as "most" people from all three faiths normally dress similarly, it wouldn't work if they put all three monkeys in jeans and t-shirts.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14111
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Innuendoes wrote:LOLOLOLOL, if you think the picture on the cover of that book is how Catholics dress, for church or whenever, you have a hell of a lot to learn. LOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol:


It's addressing the clergy... hence the the reference to liturgy. :-D

Image

And yeah, there are striking similarities to some outfits of Liberace.

Image
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Kes wrote:From what I could see of the picture, there are three monkeys on it.

One done up in Christian attire, one in Muslim, and one as a Jew. I think the clothes on the said monkeys is symbolic, and not a neccessararily defined interpretation of how all Christians, Muslims and Jews dress.

Being as "most" people from all three faiths normally dress similarly, it wouldn't work if they put all three monkeys in jeans and t-shirts.


Did not think this needed clarification. But thanks for doing so.

PS. By the way, it's a "documentary", not a book.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby julymorning » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Just a quick note, the one designated "Christian" is the Catholic pope. Yes I understand that constitutes a large portion of the Christian world, but not all of it. Not anymore.

Hahahah, but I love the "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" instant visual. That alone pretty much covers every single organized religion, bar none.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1503
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Simon wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:LOLOLOLOL, if you think the picture on the cover of that book is how Catholics dress, for church or whenever, you have a hell of a lot to learn. LOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol:


It's addressing the clergy... hence the the reference to liturgy. :-D

Image

And yeah, there are striking similarities to some outfits of Liberace.

Image


LOL, there isn't a single priest in that photo with a hat on. LOL. And any similarity to Liberace - well, if anything, he copied them, not the other way around.

Priests don't wear that type of head gear. Only Cardinals and The Pope wear them for special ceremonies. Like this, see? Catholic Bishops.

Image

I don't see you making fun of the Jewish rabbis, btw, or Muslim holy men, either. Any particular reason you're not?
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9562
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Simon wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:LOLOLOLOL, if you think the picture on the cover of that book is how Catholics dress, for church or whenever, you have a hell of a lot to learn. LOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol:


It's addressing the clergy... hence the the reference to liturgy. :-D

Image

And yeah, there are striking similarities to some outfits of Liberace.

Image


LOL, there isn't a single priest in that photo with a hat on. LOL. And any similarity to Liberace - well, if anything, he copied them, not the other way around.

Priests don't wear that type of head gear. Only Cardinals and The Pope wear them for special ceremonies. Like this, see? Catholic Bishops.

Image

I don't see you making fun of the Jewish rabbis, btw, or Muslim holy men, either. Any particular reason you're not?


LOL because my mother is Jewish and my father is a Muslim and my girlfriend is a Mormon and my boyfriend a Glambert LMAO, but don't tell anybody ROFL.
But then again I was just quoting a comedian that pointed out that the Catholic Church is against gay people acting according to their sexual prefrences yet they dress like someone who is deemed so gay because the way he dressed.
No one talked about heads by the way, that's just the cover of the documentary I was quoting for reference. Sorry you could not understand that. :D
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:26 am

You are such a nitwit, Simon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9562
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 am

I accept your defeat. It can be hard to follow arguments sometime.
Last edited by Simon on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 am

Religulous is excellent and I thought Bill Maher was very good in it. Unfortunately, it turns out Maher is an anti-vaxxer :(
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:54 am

Oh? Well, they can't all be perfect.

I like him when he is "himself". In interviews etc, but on stage I don't like too much of his acting, as it were. It feels a little too unnatural. But of course the points he makes are still valid.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:59 am

Simon wrote:I accept your defeat. It can be hard to follow arguments sometime.
You worded that wrong. You accept your own defeat. :-D
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9562
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 am

Show me where I went wrong and I am gladly willing to accept your interpretation.
From what I see I merely quoted Bill Maher who compared the similar outfits of the Catholic liturgy and Liberace (and showed to pictures that underline that similarity), nothing more. I also offered a poster/cover of one of Bill Maher's films for further Maher material. (The poster has been succinctly interpreted by Kes.)
You on the other hand accused me of making fun only of the Catholic Church and therefore insinuated that I prefer other religions. I ridiculed that with my statement about mother and father. (In fact all religions are silly and potentially dangerous. Just because I want to quote something which makes fun of one religion doesn't oblige me to offer similar jokes about all other religions, who has the time?). Finally you refer to a silly hat (that I never mentioned but is only shown on the poster) which is only worn by some members of the clergy and therefore "argue" that the Catholic liturgy does not have silly outfits?At least that's the best I can find in your arguments. More likely though it's your well established "strategy" to divert attention from an argument you cannot win and convince yourself I am a "nitwit" (etymologically half-German by the way), and even call me that publicly, which is an insult, which I will not tolerate again. So please refrain from calling me stupid, as long as I offer arguments which follow the topic more or less consistently.
But this has taken too much time in a very interesting debate. So maybe I should stop.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Simon wrote:Show me where I went wrong and I am gladly willing to accept your interpretation.
From what I see I merely quoted Bill Maher who compared the similar outfits of the Catholic liturgy and Liberace (and showed to pictures that underline that similarity), nothing more. I also offered a poster/cover of one of Bill Maher's films for further Maher material. (The poster has been succinctly interpreted by Kes.)
You on the other hand accused me of making fun only of the Catholic Church and therefore insinuated that I prefer other religions. I ridiculed that with my statement about mother and father. (In fact all religions are silly and potentially dangerous. Just because I want to quote something which makes fun of one religion doesn't oblige me to offer similar jokes about all other religions, who has the time?). Finally you refer to a silly hat (that I never mentioned but is only shown on the poster) which is only worn by some members of the clergy and therefore "argue" that the Catholic liturgy does not have silly outfits?At least that's the best I can find in your arguments. More likely though it's your well established "strategy" to divert attention from an argument you cannot win and convince yourself I am a "nitwit" (etymologically half-German by the way), and even call me that publicly, which is an insult, which I will not tolerate again. So please refrain from calling me stupid, as long as I offer arguments which follow the topic more or less consistently.
But this has taken too much time in a very interesting debate. So maybe I should stop.


Hahahahaha, where on earth did all this come from, and why?

But, hey, you are allowed to insult people on here, yet, no one is allowed to insult you, or else. :lol: :roll:
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9562
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:07 pm

I summarized the argument to ask you where I went wrong or why you think I am wrong. Maybe there is a problem of communication? It is Sunday and I was bored.
I do insult people here from time to time, yes. But only for good reason. You threw a nitwit at me because why? You disagreed with me? Have I offended you in my arguments here?
I make use of the rules of this place if I feel that I am insulted for no good reason. And having valid arguments that prove you are not in the right is not a good reason for insulting me. I have shown often enough that I am able to state I am wrong in something. Just admit there was a misunderstanding or admit that you are wrong. Try it. It doesn't hurt. It makes you grow. I have summarized the petty argument above. That is the way I see it. Wherever I went wrong, do tell me, and maybe we can work things out.

Returning to topic: Nothing comes after this life, and religion and faith are dangerous weapons:
9/11= faith-based initiative
Israel/ Palestine conflicts = faith-based initiatives
Crusades = faith-based initiatives
Forbidding condoms in Africa = faith-based initiative
Forbidding abortions, even after rape = faith-based initiative

the list goes on and on... I am also aware of the nice things religion does, but it comes at a price. And that's too high.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2455
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: What comes after this life ?

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:11 am

In any case, the film is very good but at times quite disturbing. That human genome guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and is made to look like a real intellectual disappointment, a prominent senator says he thinks the Rapture will happen during our lifetime, and some priest says he prayed for rain and it rained, which was surely a miracle. A lot of it however is clearly taken from the more extreme ends of religion, which makes a good documentary, but isn't necessarily representative of religion in 2015. It's made my the same team as Borat, and that kind of shines through. It's well worth watching though.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 142 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: W.K.Mahler and 3 guests