I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby HoneyTaylor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 am

Yet another mass shooting at a college in Oregon. :( I am sick and tired of innocent Americans dying each year at the hands of some mentally unstable individual using a gun to kill as many people as they can. And I hate it when people here say it's because we shrug off mental health in this country. Those sick sons of a bitches didn't kill those people with their screwed up minds. They killed them with a gun and bullets. And my right, my children's right and my families right to life is more important than anyone's right to own a gun. I should not have to worry if today is the day I go to the theater or shopping mall and don't come back alive because some person with a gun decided to shoot someone. I should not have to worry when I send my children to school that they might not come home because someone took a gun in the school and killed them. It is time for legislation to STOP this. It is time for the NRA to release their hold on our Congress. It is time for gun violence in this country to END!!!!!!! No More!!! No more mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, friends dying because of a gun. NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
"Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

HoneyTaylor
Spread Your Wings

I want to break free

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Fizzle » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 am

HoneyTaylor wrote:It is time for the NRA to release their hold on our Congress.

That's our real problem. The NRA has too much influence over politicians, stopping common sense gun laws from ever passing.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 am

Once you get the gun laws passed, then what will you do? The criminals will be the only people with guns.
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby icy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:10 am

Innuendoes wrote:Once you get the gun laws passed, then what will you do? The criminals will be the only people with guns.

Hopefully if the gun laws are passed, it would be harder for crimminals to obtain guns, and then there would be less gun crime.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 am

icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Once you get the gun laws passed, then what will you do? The criminals will be the only people with guns.

Hopefully if the gun laws are passed, it would be harder for crimminals to obtain guns, and then there would be less gun crime.

They already have them. They are usually guns that were stolen 4-5 years ago and before that.
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 am

Innuendoes wrote:
icy wrote:

They already have them. They are usually guns that were stolen 4-5 years ago and before that.

I meant if it were passed in the near future. Doubtful it will happen.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:29 am

See - you go to the store late at night and someone attempts to rape you and kill you in the parking lot BUT, you had a gun. You survived. I actually know quite a few women that this happened to. One is an EMT!
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 am

Innuendoes wrote:See - you go to the store late at night and someone attempts to rape you and kill you in the parking lot BUT, you had a gun. You survived. I actually know quite a few women that this happened to. One is an EMT!

I'd hope I would survive without a gun. Remember what happened to me a few years ago? After that, I took self defense classes.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:43 am

icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:See - you go to the store late at night and someone attempts to rape you and kill you in the parking lot BUT, you had a gun. You survived. I actually know quite a few women that this happened to. One is an EMT!

I'd hope I would survive without a gun. Remember what happened to me a few years ago? After that, I took self defense classes.

The friend who is an EMT said she's be dead if she hadn't had the gun.
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:
icy wrote:

The friend who is an EMT said she's be dead if she hadn't had the gun.

Personally, I wouldn't want to carry a gun. Not judging those who carry guns for safety reasons.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby julymorning » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:35 am

I'm with you, Icy, and the others that don't like the lax gun laws.

I've managed to live 64 years safely without guns. With guns on hand twice in my life nearly killed innocent people. Well, one of the times it was my husband, and the near victim an off duty cop answering our prowler call. Both times was with rifles, not handguns.

I try not to put myself in places where I might get attacked, now that I'm old enough to know better and realizing how lucky I was in my youth. I know full well things do happen in broad daylight, in the usually safe places. Still, it seems like in those instances that make the news, people were taken by surprise and I believe mayhem and chaos happens so fast my chances of getting off a safe, killing or maiming shot without hitting the wrong person, are nil.

As for killing someone, it would have to be a very, very clear situation that I know for fact it's his/her life or mine before I would take a life. Even then I am not sure I have it in me to shoot someone. That being said, since I've never been in the position where some human monster is doing indescribable horror to someone/thing I love, I am not sure if I'd wish I had a gun then or not. Thing is, hunting rifles and shotguns are legal where handgun are not, and they can be just as lethal, though not as convenient. Maybe that convenience is a bad thing.

I have heard all the pro gun arguments,tons of what if scenarios, they don't sway me.
If other no gun countries' citizens still prefer their way to ours, there has to be some merit in it.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 am

Well, I know if my brother hand't have had a rifle when robbers came to wipe out all his building material, he would have been completely wiped out of everything for a 2nd time. That's why he went to the farm where he was bulding his new house and stayed in the basement in wait. The entire contents of the inside as far as building materials were unloaded by the company he bought the house from. You buy the materials and build it, yourself. That included the solid wood kitchen cabinets, all the fixtures for 3 bathrooms, the kitchen and all the roofing. His homeowner's insurance wasn't going to cover another complete wipe-out of it all so he protected it himself and saved himself 1000s and 1000s of dollars for being armed and waiting in the basement and he didn't kill anyone, either. He fired in the air, just like he still does when poachers are on the farm. He's never killed or wounded a single person in his life.
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:30 am

So it is OK for countless innocent people to die needlessly because people have the right to own a gun? The notion that only criminals would have guns is total bollocks. If guns were not so readily available in the USA, criminals would not be able to get them, legally or otherwise, as easily as they do now.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Two sharp pencils » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 am

Innuendoes wrote:Well, I know if my brother hand't have had a rifle when robbers came to wipe out all his building material, he would have been completely wiped out of everything for a 2nd time. That's why he went to the farm where he was bulding his new house and stayed in the basement in wait. The entire contents of the inside as far as building materials were unloaded by the company he bought the house from. You buy the materials and build it, yourself. That included the solid wood kitchen cabinets, all the fixtures for 3 bathrooms, the kitchen and all the roofing. His homeowner's insurance wasn't going to cover another complete wipe-out of it all so he protected it himself and saved himself 1000s and 1000s of dollars for being armed and waiting in the basement and he didn't kill anyone, either. He fired in the air, just like he still does when poachers are on the farm. He's never killed or wounded a single person in his life.

I do not like guns full stop, but I do like the law that you can protect yourself in your own home by whatever means.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby lord of all darkness » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am

In Australia we had in the late 80's (Hoddle St and Queen St massacres in Melbourne) and the Port Arthur massacre in the mid 90's. Australia then introduced gun laws to ban Semi and full automatic firearms. The only firearms allowed were single shot rifles for farmers to shoot vermin and pistols (must be a member of a gun club). The government at the time also introduced a gun amnesty and a gun buy back scheme. This took a large amount of guns off the streets.
Yes there has been gun related deaths since (usually criminals killing criminals). However since Port Arthur, there has not been another mass shooting in Australia. I certainly feel safe. Pity there are some Americans that are too stupid to give up their constitutional right to bear arms.

Cue next mass shooting in America.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Next

Return to Views Of The World