I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby julymorning » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:23 pm

Fizzle wrote:More fear-mongering from the idiot of the century.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-pre ... 18173.html

I don't like the direction any of them want to take things. Not one of them really represent the average, low to middle income households in this country.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Fizzle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:11 am

I made the mistake of tweeting my support for gun reform, everybody's looking to argue on there. I blocked some teenager replying to me with inaccurate information. The headline on his profile was something like "playing video games for Christ'. :lol:

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 am

"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:56 am

Elessar wrote:Obama is so awesome

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35236630

Yes he is.... :thumbsup:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby julymorning » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 am

Elessar wrote:Obama is so awesome

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35236630

No, he is NOT!

All I know for sure about him is how his actions affect me directly. My electric power comes through a co-op set up. They purchase energy to produce electricity. Their largest source is coal plants which they have poured many dollars into to install state of the art methods to minimize emissions in keeping with federal standards.
In spite of this Obama decided coal energy is all bad and must be done away with resulting in monstrous energy costs (or fines) that will be passed along to mine and other electric consumers that will raise our monthly bills 4-5 times over what we pay now.

Wood burning for heat will be outlawed.
Not everyone is capable of going 'off the grid'. Particularly senior citizens.

I know others have their gripe with him, This is mine.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:16 am

They came out with a stat on our news last night which I found quite remarkable.

In the UK in the whole of 2014, 24 people were killed by firearms. The USA had 27 people killed by firearms just on Christmas Day. The only balancing factor (and it's not THAT much of one) is that the USA has five times the population of the UK.

Even if you look at it conservatively, whatever gun lobbyists might say to the contrary, the USA has, per head of population, a fifty times greater likelihood that you're going to get killed in a shooting incident, than the UK. That's what your right to bear arms gives you.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby julymorning » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Kes wrote:They came out with a stat on our news last night which I found quite remarkable.

In the UK in the whole of 2014, 24 people were killed by firearms. The USA had 27 people killed by firearms just on Christmas Day. The only balancing factor (and it's not THAT much of one) is that the USA has five times the population of the UK.

Even if you look at it conservatively, whatever gun lobbyists might say to the contrary, the USA has, per head of population, a fifty times greater likelihood that you're going to get killed in a shooting incident, than the UK. That's what your right to bear arms gives you.

Oddly, not 30 minutes ago I was trying to google killings per capita. Some kind of comparative listing with Canada, the Uk, the United States, ect. Because for the umpteenth irritating time someone on fb was reposting the Meme of some cowboy saying "If you think outlawing guns is going to stop criminals, you're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Grinds my gears seeing that thing for so many reasons.
But I wanted to post a reply with some comparative stats between the U.S. and the countries such as yours where the guns are heavily regulated. If I may put it that way.

Problem on getting stats like that are the many variables such as reported crimes, alleged or unproven, failure to be honest about it for political reasons, etc., etc. Some stats are given, but they admit to being not much better than guesswork.
I would imagine that sort of thing being pretty even, country to country. I found out it's not. Some countries really lie extensively about internal crime. I just want numbers, per capita, of deaths, commited by firearm, with and without including suicides of all not directly caused by natural causes. But then of course you have those that while under assault died of internal trauma such as heart attack or stroke. It all gets blurry.

After that figure I would love to see comparisons of death figures by all methods of assault, including suicides. For my own curiousness. I've previously done the research on Japan's (I think) problem with suicide by poisoning. And we know Australia has a problem with machete murders on the rise.

ETA, as a species, we're for the most part a troubled lot. :(

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Fizzle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Gotta love Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016 ... /78522138/

As of New Years Day, licensed gun owners in Texas have been allowed to openly carry firearms into restaurants, shops and zoos. Add a new place to the gun-friendly list: state mental health hospitals.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby Tarkus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:23 am

Tarkus

Previous

Return to Views Of The World