I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 am

lord of all darkness wrote:In Australia we had in the late 80's (Hoddle St and Queen St massacres in Melbourne) and the Port Arthur massacre in the mid 90's. Australia then introduced gun laws to ban Semi and full automatic firearms. The only firearms allowed were single shot rifles for farmers to shoot vermin and pistols (must be a member of a gun club). The government at the time also introduced a gun amnesty and a gun buy back scheme. This took a large amount of guns off the streets.
Yes there has been gun related deaths since (usually criminals killing criminals). However since Port Arthur, there has not been another mass shooting in Australia. I certainly feel safe. Pity there are some Americans that are too stupid to give up their constitutional right to bear arms.

Cue next mass shooting in America.


So someone who lives on a farm shouldn't be allowed to own a rifle, either?
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby lord of all darkness » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:53 am

Innuendoes wrote:
lord of all darkness wrote:In Australia we had in the late 80's (Hoddle St and Queen St massacres in Melbourne) and the Port Arthur massacre in the mid 90's. Australia then introduced gun laws to ban Semi and full automatic firearms. The only firearms allowed were single shot rifles for farmers to shoot vermin and pistols (must be a member of a gun club). The government at the time also introduced a gun amnesty and a gun buy back scheme. This took a large amount of guns off the streets.
Yes there has been gun related deaths since (usually criminals killing criminals). However since Port Arthur, there has not been another mass shooting in Australia. I certainly feel safe. Pity there are some Americans that are too stupid to give up their constitutional right to bear arms.

Cue next mass shooting in America.


So someone who lives on a farm shouldn't be allowed to own a rifle, either?


Reread what I wrote. Sorry if it is confusing.

Single shot rifles are ok. Military style rifles are not. Is that simple enough for you?
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 561
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

When my brother was building his house on the property we inherited from our parents, this was about the stage the house was in as far as him and my ex working together to get it up. This is a kit home. You do everything yourself, other than cutting some of the wood but some you do have to cut, yourself. There were no real doors on it, yet, either. They probably hadn't been delivered, yet. The cabinets had been delivered twice and the first time, they were stolen out of the house, still in the boxes. So was everything they could pick up and carry because my brother lived in town and he had a full time job which meant he was at work all day.

Image

This is the actual house, now, with a built on garage that they added, years, later. It's out in the middle of nowhere as far as anyone being able to see that a robbery is taking place when they rob at night and he's been robbed in the daytime as well.

Image

So you're about 25 years old, building your very first home on the property you already own and you own your father's old rifle which you are proficient in shooting, but you can't use it because everyone wants you to turn it in to someone like the police (hahahahaha).

And when the thieves come back to get the 2nd round of building supplies, the cabinets, doors, all the roofing, the siding, the materials for the subfloor, etc, you just say fuck it, take it all, I'll live in apartment in town the rest of my life and give the farm away too because the poachers are getting in the lake. Once someone drowns, I'll be sued for everything I ever owned and everything else I might have owned. And the thieves load up and drive merrily away.

Ha ha ha
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby lord of all darkness » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:06 pm

So lets shoot all thieves huh? How about letting the police do their job by reporting the crime. Your argument is stupid.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 561
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:18 pm

lord of all darkness wrote:So lets shoot all thieves huh? How about letting the police do their job by reporting the crime. Your argument is stupid.


Hahahahaha, yea right. You have no way of knowing this but there was a house behind the one you see in that photo and there was A WOMAN ON THE PROPERTY, HIDING - A CRAZY ONE at that. And she had access to those guns my brother owns.

My mother and I called the sheriff and fled to the neighboring farm. It took the sheriff over 30 minutes to get there.

You're the one who is stupid!
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby lord of all darkness » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
lord of all darkness wrote:So lets shoot all thieves huh? How about letting the police do their job by reporting the crime. Your argument is stupid.


Hahahahaha, yea right. You have no way of knowing this but there was a house behind the one you see in that photo and there was A WOMAN ON THE PROPERTY, HIDING - A CRAZY ONE at that. And she had access to those guns my brother owns.

My mother and I called the sheriff and fled to the neighboring farm. It took the sheriff over 30 minutes to get there.

You're the one who is stupid!


Stupid! You make the argument quite well for gun control. Crazy folk with access to guns, and we wonder why there are so many gun massacres in America? Stupid!
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 561
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:15 pm

lord of all darkness wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
lord of all darkness wrote:So lets shoot all thieves huh? How about letting the police do their job by reporting the crime. Your argument is stupid.


Hahahahaha, yea right. You have no way of knowing this but there was a house behind the one you see in that photo and there was A WOMAN ON THE PROPERTY, HIDING - A CRAZY ONE at that. And she had access to those guns my brother owns.

My mother and I called the sheriff and fled to the neighboring farm. It took the sheriff over 30 minutes to get there.

You're the one who is stupid!


Stupid! You make the argument quite well for gun control. Crazy folk with access to guns, and we wonder why there are so many gun massacres in America? Stupid!


Oh go fuck off. You haven't got a clue what the lay of the land is, where that farm is and you have NO CLUE how police, state police, county and rural police departments do not overlap as far as their territories. You call who is assigned to your area. You don't wait while the person is INSIDE YOUR HOUSE, stealing 1000s of dollars worth of your merchandise either. :roll:
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby JLP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Oh go fuck off. You haven't got a clue what the lay of the land is, where that farm is and you have NO CLUE how police, state police, county and rural police departments do not overlap as far as their territories. You call who is assigned to your area. You don't wait while the person is INSIDE YOUR HOUSE, stealing 1000s of dollars worth of your merchandise either. :roll:


tell you what Inny, why don't you go and tell that to the innocent victims of the latest shooting. I am sure they will feel a lot better. :roll:
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11440
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:31 pm

JLP wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Oh go fuck off. You haven't got a clue what the lay of the land is, where that farm is and you have NO CLUE how police, state police, county and rural police departments do not overlap as far as their territories. You call who is assigned to your area. You don't wait while the person is INSIDE YOUR HOUSE, stealing 1000s of dollars worth of your merchandise either. :roll:


tell you what Inny, why don't you go and tell that to the innocent victims of the latest shooting. I am sure they will feel a lot better. :roll:


It has 100% NOTHING to do with what happened to those people, or the insane idiot who did it. My brother has NEVER SHOT DIRECTLY AT ANYONE! :evil:
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby JLP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Oh go fuck off. You haven't got a clue what the lay of the land is, where that farm is and you have NO CLUE how police, state police, county and rural police departments do not overlap as far as their territories. You call who is assigned to your area. You don't wait while the person is INSIDE YOUR HOUSE, stealing 1000s of dollars worth of your merchandise either. :roll:


tell you what Inny, why don't you go and tell that to the innocent victims of the latest shooting. I am sure they will feel a lot better. :roll:


It has 100% NOTHING to do with what happened to those people, or the insane idiot who did it. My brother has NEVER SHOT DIRECTLY AT ANYONE! :evil:


please stop shouting, you are only making yourself look silly. You are using your brother's story to defend gun laws that allow people with alleged mental illness to access guns. Surely you can see how very wrong that is?
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11440
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Montavilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:43 pm

HoneyTaylor wrote:Yet another mass shooting at a college in Oregon. :( I am sick and tired of innocent Americans dying each year at the hands of some mentally unstable individual using a gun to kill as many people as they can. And I hate it when people here say it's because we shrug off mental health in this country. Those sick sons of a bitches didn't kill those people with their screwed up minds. They killed them with a gun and bullets. And my right, my children's right and my families right to life is more important than anyone's right to own a gun. I should not have to worry if today is the day I go to the theater or shopping mall and don't come back alive because some person with a gun decided to shoot someone. I should not have to worry when I send my children to school that they might not come home because someone took a gun in the school and killed them. It is time for legislation to STOP this. It is time for the NRA to release their hold on our Congress. It is time for gun violence in this country to END!!!!!!! No More!!! No more mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, friends dying because of a gun. NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:


I heard that report yesterday as I was driving home. So awful! And only the most recent random shooting incident in Oregon.

But it's not just the obsession with guns, it's the obsession with violence in this country. Any violent act becomes the first story on the news every night. (Unless it snows in Portland, then murders be damned! We're going to send our reporters to Troutdale so they can stand in their parkas to show us the flakes.) Every night, it seems, the airwaves are dominated by procedural crimes show with ever more gruesome murders. When we're so inundated with the message of violence, how can we avoid people acting it out in real life?
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy
 
Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Montavilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 pm

At the time of the news report I heard, there was very little known about the incident. They thought it was seven dead at the time, now the count is up to ten dead, and another seven injured.

One woman told her family, just before going into spinal surgery, that the gunman had targeted Christians. When he started shooting (with the professor of the class), all the students dropped to the ground. He told the Christians to stand up. When they did, he told them they'd be seeing God in ten seconds and shot them.

Obviously, the shooter was deranged. He's dead, so we may never know what he meant by that. Did he hate Christians? Or did he think he was doing them a favor?

The town of Roseburg, where the Umpqua Community College is located, is 22,000 people. This tragedy is going to have a huge impact on the town, and the college. Because one person was able to purchase several semi-automatic weapons, enough ammunition to sustain a prolonged gunfight, and to carry them into a place where people gather. I'm sorry, but there's something very wrong about that.

I like the idea of allowing people single shot weapons. It only took your brother one shot in the air to scare off the thieves, Inny, so it wouldn't have changed things in that case. (On the other hand, if those thieves had been serious enough to get guns themselves, it might have been an entirely different story. The easier it is to obtain semi-automatic weapons, the more likely they would be to have them.)

Yes, criminals would probably still get guns if they wanted them badly enough. But there's always a trade-off. If you make the guns hard enough to get, then they have to spend more money and energy to get them, and therefore, less people will have easy entry into violent crime.

But, I maintain, a huge part of the problem is a culture that keeps sending the message that violence is an acceptable solution to conflict. It's not a solution, it's just a continuation of violence.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy
 
Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Montavilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Last post, I promise. Hopefully.

It turns out that Alek Skarlatos, one of the Americans who stopped an attack on a Paris train last month, was enrolled at Umpqua Community College. He's also competing in Dancing with the Stars (the US equivalent of Strictly Come Dancing). I found this story at MJ's Big Blog.

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/dwts-star-ale ... ooting.htm
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy
 
Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 509 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Tarkus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 pm

This guy seems to nail it entirely through humour...

phpBB [video]
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby WeeMann » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:34 pm

It seems to me that the vast majority of these killing sprees aren't by career criminals, but by "normal" people who've either had some form of breakdown, or have suffered from some kind of mental illness. Making guns illegal (as has been done quite successfully in most developed countries) takes them out of the hands of these people. Yes, career criminals will still find a way to get holds of weapons, but that happens in other countries as well and you don't see these killing sprees in anywhere near the numbers you do in America.

Inny, your argument holds less water than a paper bag with holes in it. Until your country realises the correlation between gun ownership and gun related deaths they will just keep happening. Next time your brother may not be so lucky.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6461
Images: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 164 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests