I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:29 am

Tarkus wrote:
phpBB [video]

So we're nothing more than a comedy skit from Dumb And Dumber, to you? WOW. Thank you for letting me see how you really feel. :roll:

Innuendoes

Postby Tarkus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm

:roll: So the guy appeared in that film- THIS IS NOT THAT FILM. Unwittingly, you just proved my point yourself. Watch the video, and take in what his character says, and think for yourself. My country isn't the greatest in the world either, it's just that you and Alexxxxx have been so spoon-fed all the BS propaganda from successive governments, the GOP and anyone else with an opinion, into believing you are the greatest, when the only things you are the greatest at are having more people imprisoned per capita than anywhere else, and defence spending which is greater than the next 26 nations on the list combined, and those guys are allies. If your government spent less money on invading and blowing up other nations when it sees fit, and instead spent that money on its' own people in things like health care and education, you could be the greatest in the world. Instead, you show all the classic symptoms of a once-great empire in terminal decline.

Tarkus

Postby AlexKx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh, yes! The old unoriginal, "You are an empire!" and "You are in decline!" threats! I LOVE those! These failed attempts of trying to position yourselves as something you are not has gone on for many decades now...so out of curiosity...when does the "evil empire" fall? This is an old narrative but any suggestions?! Because as someone living in the "evil empire" I need someone who does not live here to let me know what's up!

Oh, and on a side note. What's with the anger and hatred? If you are admitting we in the U.S. were once great out of curiosity can you i.d. that time period just for clarification purposes? No one falls if they weren't "up there" in the first place. Please tell us oh fallen British Empire who no longer rule over the Earth like they did so long ago...

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:53 pm

AlexKx wrote:Oh, yes! The old unoriginal, "You are an empire!" and "You are in decline!" threats! I LOVE those! These failed attempts of trying to position yourselves as something you are not has gone on for many decades now...so out of curiosity...when does the "evil empire" fall? This is an old narrative but any suggestions! Because as someone living in the "evil empire" I need someone who does not live here to let me know what's up!

Hmm, you have a point in a way. We do need to accept our place in the world, for sure. We are a great, great, historic and important nation, but we are not a major player anymore.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby AlexKx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 pm

You're American! Lol! I had no idea!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tarkus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm not issuing any threats, nor am I angry or hateful- I'm just saying things as I see them. I readily admit that my country is no longer a major world player, and I'm perfectly happy and at peace with that- it seems that the realisation that your country is also no longer a major world player has come as something of a shock. That film clip comes from an American source, and features American actors. I would argue that the person or persons that wrote the script were people who were very much as aware of the US's standing in the world as being no longer the greatest, which is why the scene carries such shock value for American audiences.

I'm not out to bash America either; America has done very many truly great things, and I owe my health to two eminent American cardiologists. As I said, I'm just saying things as I see them, and I'm fully aware of the degree to which your government's propaganda has cemented itself into your consciousness to the degree that any view to the contrary is seen as 'bashing', 'threatening' or 'hating'. It could be because your country is still relatively young, and in my part of the world, we've had a fair bit more history to get through so we've reached the stage where we can be a bit more self-conscious, self-critical and self-deprecating, and be completely at ease about it.

Tarkus

Postby AlexKx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Of course if any anti-gun people cared about the numbers of people dying from something they ought be freaked out about automobile deaths. Those numbers are REALLY high. So cars should be banned, right? Better yet. Medications should be banned because now it is learned that more people die from the abuse of medications than even automobile deaths! Maybe alcohol should be banned? The number one reason women and children throughout all of time have been abused has been because of the abuse of alcohol. Don't you care about women and children?! Surely as someone so informed, caring, and intellectual will stop these things with the use of the government, right?! Please save us all knowing one!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 am

Bartender, can I have a double of whatever Alex is drinking.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby julymorning » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:24 am

JLP wrote:Bartender, can I have a double of whatever Alex is drinking.

It's my fault, JLP. I made the mistake a couple of weeks ago of saying I thought Alex had his head on straight.

Now I'm paying for my bad judgement. ETA: Concerning him.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby icy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 am

AlexKx wrote:Of course if any anti-gun people cared about the numbers of people dying from something they ought be freaked out about automobile deaths. Those numbers are REALLY high. So cars should be banned, right? Better yet. Medications should be banned because now it is learned that more people die from the abuse of medications than even automobile deaths! Maybe alcohol should be banned? The number one reason women and children throughout all of time have been abused has been because of the abuse of alcohol. Don't you care about women and children?! Surely as someone so informed, caring, and intellectual will stop these things with the use of the government, right?! Please save us all knowing one!

You can be so offensive at times.Yes, people here care about women and children :mad:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:14 am

Tarkus wrote::roll: So the guy appeared in that film- THIS IS NOT THAT FILM. Unwittingly, you just proved my point yourself. Watch the video, and take in what his character says, and think for yourself. My country isn't the greatest in the world either, it's just that you and Alexxxxx have been so spoon-fed all the BS propaganda from successive governments, the GOP and anyone else with an opinion, into believing you are the greatest, when the only things you are the greatest at are having more people imprisoned per capita than anywhere else, and defence spending which is greater than the next 26 nations on the list combined, and those guys are allies. If your government spent less money on invading and blowing up other nations when it sees fit, and instead spent that money on its' own people in things like health care and education, you could be the greatest in the world. Instead, you show all the classic symptoms of a once-great empire in terminal decline.

I KNOW IT'S NOT THAT FILM. :roll: However, you sought out that ilk to define us - me. There keeps being, repeated in these posts, you, you, you, you, you - finger pointing is what that's called. It pisses people off and makes them want to retaliate and fight back.

If my government stopped giving all the illegal aliens free everything, health care, homes food, a car, medicine, clothing that SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY, FIRST, maybe we'd be a hell of a lot better over here with better attitudes. Instead, the poor get poorer, the hungry go hungry for a longer time, the poor get no or very little health care or medicine and as far as a hell of a lot of officials AND employees of the government, down to the f'ing secretaries who work in those offices, we poor just need to go off and DIE and stop bugging them. They have work to do - helping illegal aliens, instead of people who were born here or descend from people who were born here 200+ years ago!

Yes, our ancestors were aliens at one time, too. HOWEVER, our ancestors didn't come here to overthrow this government and this country but to blend in, to become one of us, to learn our language, to work jobs along side others who had been here since birth, to make friends with us, to intermingle with us, to assimilate into this country to be one unified country.

But not now! Oh hell no. The ones being let in now want nothing to do with any of that. They just want all the free stuff they can get their hands on, do not want to speak English, do not want to work, do not want to be friends and neighbors of the people living around them. They want to remain a separate entity from the rest of the country. THAT is what is wrong, here. That and the allowing of it to happen!

rant over, for now.

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:43 am

I've been to the States a couple of times now, and it's the little things that you think about, when you get back.

Every police officer, immigration official, and a few other professions as well, had a sidearm.

Over here, the only armed police you ever see are at airports or carrying out diplomatic protection duties.

I guess it's fairly simple, if the threat isn't there, then you really don't seem to need the deterrent. Surely if you've ever been anywhere that ISN'T the US of A, and seen unarmed police, that's GOT to be a refreshing change, isn't it?

Is the UK better than the US? That's not the argument. Does the US have more gun related incidents per head of population to the UK? Yeah, and that's because there's more guns per head of population. If you can't see the correlation between the two, then maybe you should see an optician.

I mean, what part of the concept "getting shot is fairly reliant on somebody having a gun" don't you get?

Oh, and as regards "knowing it all", knowledge isn't the same thing as common sense, and we're talking about the latter here.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:35 am

Kes wrote:I've been to the States a couple of times now, and it's the little things that you think about, when you get back.

Every police officer, immigration official, and a few other professions as well, had a sidearm.

Over here, the only armed police you ever see are at airports or carrying out diplomatic protection duties.

I guess it's fairly simple, if the threat isn't there, then you really don't seem to need the deterrent. Surely if you've ever been anywhere that ISN'T the US of A, and seen unarmed police, that's GOT to be a refreshing change, isn't it?

Is the UK better than the US? That's not the argument. Does the US have more gun related incidents per head of population to the UK? Yeah, and that's because there's more guns per head of population. If you can't see the correlation between the two, then maybe you should see an optician.

I mean, what part of the concept "getting shot is fairly reliant on somebody having a gun" don't you get?

Oh, and as regards "knowing it all", knowledge isn't the same thing as common sense, and we're talking about the latter here.

Ever since I was a very young child, the police all carried guns. They carried guns before I was born as well. I doubt there was a time they didn't. I doubt that will ever change in this country.

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

Alexxxx seems to be turning this into an "us and them" discussion.

It isn't. It's an "us and us" one. One "us" being observers in other countries, and the other "us" being you guys who have to live with the problem every day and decide how you can live with it.

As I've said previously, if I lived in your country, I'd no doubt see the fact that so many others possess firearms as a threat worthy enough to want to own them myself. It's not a solution though. The solution is to remove any thought in my head that I, or others, would need them in the first place.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Tarkus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:35 am

Kes wrote:Alexxxx seems to be turning this into an "us and them" discussion.

It isn't. It's an "us and us" one. One "us" being observers in other countries, and the other "us" being you guys who have to live with the problem every day and decide how you can live with it.

As I've said previously, if I lived in your country, I'd no doubt see the fact that so many others possess firearms as a threat worthy enough to want to own them myself. It's not a solution though. The solution is to remove any thought in my head that I, or others, would need them in the first place.

Tarkus

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World