I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I am tired of my country's obsession with guns

Postby julymorning » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:13 am

Kes, you make a lot of points and suggestions I agree with. When there is a random home break-in, the first thing that is sought to steal are guns. Pharmaceuticals second. Everything else after. These are the guns that are sold/handed around that are used in crimes.

Landowners and hunters can keep their shotguns and low caliber rifles. They don't need an arsenal of them, either, and they should be kept locked up. It unnerves me how many people I know personally that keep 2 or 3 leaning on the wall by every darn door in the house. They will be the first to tell you it doesn't matter if it's a stray cat or a human they don't know, they will get a barrel in the face, ask questions after. Gotta love living in the Ozarks. Is it like this everywhere in this country?

No freaking reason to have handguns or automatic weapons. The idiot kid next door, in the woods, loves to get out at 10 or 11 at night, in the dark, in the middle of a wooded area, and shoot one of his automatics off, not 75 yards away from me, while I run out to make sure my horses don't run through the fences in terror. One of these days that boy is going to shoot his girlfriend with one of them, on purpose.

The "right to bear arms" thing is a problem. People cling to it like a life preserver. Unfortunately that life preserver has a leak in it.

I don't think this country will ever want to go for any attempt to disarm. The direction States took with the conceal carry law changes made that obvious.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby JLP » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:55 am

Inny you cite gang wars. How many of these school/college/mall shootings are gang related? Yeah you have a problem with gang culture, so does the UK in places as Kes pointed out.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Tarkus wrote:Daily Mash article

also...

Here are all the college campus shootings this year - not including shooting in self defense where a firearm was discharged.

Feb. 2, 2015
Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minn.
0 injured, 0 killed, shooter committed suicide

Feb. 5, 2015
University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.
1 killed, shooter committed suicide

Feb. 15, 2015
University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
0 injured, 0 killed

Feb. 23, 2015
Bethune-Cookman University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
3 injured, 0 killed

March 30, 2015
American International College, Springfield, Mass.
0 injured, 0 killed

April 2, 2015
Community College of Beaver County, Beaver Falls, Pa.
1 injured (man accidentally shot himself)

April 2, 2015
Lane College, Jackson, Tenn.
1 injured

April 4, 2015
Everett Community College, Everett, Wash.
0 injured, 0 killed

April 13, 2015
Wayne Community College, Goldsboro, N.C.
1 killed

April 19, 2015
Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, N.C.
1 injured

July 27, 2015
University of Florida-Gainesville, Gainesville, Fla.
0 injured, 0 killed

Aug. 8, 2015
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kan.
1 killed

Aug. 27, 2015
Savannah State University, Savannah, Ga.
1 killed

Sept. 3, 2015
Sacramento City College, Sacramento, Calif.
1 killed, 2 injured

Sept. 14, 2015
Delta State University, Cleveland, Miss.
1 killed

Sept. 28, 2015
Montana Tech of the University of Montana, Butte, Mont.
0 injured, 0 killed

Oct. 1, 2015
Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, Ore.
9 dead, at least 20 injured

Including shots made in self-defence, the pace is about 1 a week during the school year. A horrible stat. :shock:

I hate being on the same side as Dusty. :)
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 am

Broooklyn wrote:I'd kill for this piece of ass. (Alessandra Ambrosio) And it is my right!

Another bloody Ass mad American! :P
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:20 am

BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:58 am

Tarkus wrote:Daily Mash article

Have you totally lost it? No such thing has ever existed. Surely you are making a joke, here, with a goofy website you dug up?

Anti-insanity vaccinations easiest way to stop mass shootings, claims gun lobby
02-10-15
vacc

VACCINATING everyone against mental illness is the easiest and most practical way to prevent mass shootings, according to America’s gun lobby.

The National Rifle Association has called for a nationwide inoculation programme to ‘eradicate violent psychosis from American life’.

An NRA spokesman said: “Most supermarkets sell a cheap, over-the-counter anti-madness serum that you and your family could inject yourselves with at home.

“But President Obama won’t let you because it’s not political enough.

“Meanwhile, he keeps blocking Congressional Republicans from passing a perfectly straightforward insanity abolition law.”

He added: “Just think, once everyone has been vaccinated then we could all have our own personal Howitzers, safe in the knowledge that we are all completely sane.”

And this?

And you think people will believe you? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 am

I'm not saying that it's not a tricky situation, and I'll be the first to admit, that as the situation sits in America, if I lived there, I'd probably want to be armed up to the fucking teeth.

Yes, it's hypocritical, I know.

I'd fall in with the category of "if every other twat's got one, then I'd better keep up with the Joneses".

It's not the solution though, it's part of the problem.

However, I don't live in America. I live somewhere where the vast majority of "normal" people don't own guns, and don't really want to, so don't feel I have any arms race to want (or need) to keep up with.

Maybe, the reason a robber/burglar in the US, "might" go tooled up, is because the household he's stealing from, are likely to have guns themselves. A crazy mentality, I know, but probably the main reason the US has such a vast nuclear arsenal, is built on the same theory, even though the US is the ONLY country in the world to ever use nuclear weapons in anger, and more importantly, against another country that didn't have that technology themselves.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:23 am

What gets me is how the pro gun brigade never seem to see a problem with these mass shootings. You would like to think they would work with their government to sort out a solution. Maybe it would take the death of one of their reletives to change their mind.

That last bit BTW, is in no way targetted at anyone posting in this thread, it is a generalisation of what I read following these incidents.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:25 am

Just so all of you know, I don't own any guns, knives, swords or any other kind of weapon for that matter.

Innuendoes

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:30 am

JLP wrote:What gets me is how the pro gun brigade never seem to see a problem with these mass shootings. You would like to think they would work with their government to sort out a solution. Maybe it would take the death of one of their reletives to change their mind.

That last bit BTW, is in no way targetted at anyone posting in this thread, it is a generalisation of what I read following these incidents.

Well said JLP. How anyone can still argue the point, seems just bloody mindedness.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:43 am

But you're making some serious generalizations, Kes.....like everyone in America is carrying around a gun with them, or something. I've lived here all my life, and I've honestly never felt the desire or need to have a gun. (I just looked it up, the state I live in is pretty much in the middle of the pack in terms of % people owning a gun, 25-30% according to the graph...and I wonder what portion of those have it for hunting purposes)

I like that thing that was just quoted, though....we do need an anti-insanity vaccine :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:49 am

Brian might get panned for it, but that was his point.

The pro-gun people put the responsibility of shootings to the person doing the shooting, not the fact that they had access to something that makes the intended result easier.

And yes, it's almost certainly considerably easier to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger, than it is to bludgeon them to death with a decent sized rock.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:57 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:But you're making some serious generalizations, Kes.....like everyone in America is carrying around a gun with them, or something. I've lived here all my life, and I've honestly never felt the desire or need to have a gun. (I just looked it up, the state I live in is pretty much in the middle of the pack in terms of % people owning a gun, 25-30% according to the graph...and I wonder what portion of those have it for hunting purposes)

I like that thing that was just quoted, though....we do need an anti-insanity vaccine :lol:

8000 plus gun related deaths a year. Every year, for about the past twenty or thirty years.

Your country has a fucking SERIOUS gun problem, whether you like to admit it or not.

It isn't going to change unless you as a country want it to change, and every other country without a gun problem, will continue to be amazed at you guys seemingly being surprised by high school massacres, as long as you don't sort it out.

Keep burying your head in the sand, and eventually someone's going to come along and cap your ass. :shock:
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:06 pm

A quick link to Australian gun laws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

Also note that the guns that Martin Bryant used in the Port Arthur Massacre were bought from a gun shop. These guns were Semi-automatic assault rifles. He used them on over 30 plus innocent people, including 2 small girls. How anyone can defend the right to bear these types of weapons is beyond me. It's like they are pro-killing of kids.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:06 pm

A conservative estimate says that there is a gun in circulation in the US for every man, woman and child living there.

That means, if you don't own a gun, someone else owns two. If the person next to you doesn't own one either, then someone else has three. And so on.

Is that a generalisation?

You'd be lucky if an average of one person in about 300 in the UK either owned or had access to any sort of firearm, and considerably less to anything considered a high velocity weapon.

You tell me if you don't think this "access" word has any relevance to these massacres we hear about.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World