what created the multiverse?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: what created the multiverse?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:01 pm

“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

(sorry but I could quote him all day on this kind of stuff :lol:)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Sometimes, things just "are".

No point racking your brains to even try and explain or understand them, as it won't change or affect anything that's going on around you.

Quite literally, people have gone stark raving mad running these theories through their heads, while others have become megalomaniacs thinking the universe has occurred for purely "their" benefit, and the rest of us are just pawns in some perverted game created for their amusement.

No thanks. The sun comes up every morning, and then fucks off for a few hours every night. And as long as that continues to happen, then that's probably about as deep as I ever want to go with the concept.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby YAFF » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
Elessar wrote:One attractive feature of the multiverse theory is that it explains why the universe is able to support life, when small changes in the laws of physics would make it impossible.

"I cannot change the laws of physics, Cap'n!" :P

There's an argument I always liked, called the 'weak anthropic principle', which basically means, of course the universe is able to support life and it seems fine-tuned for us, if it wasn't, we wouldn't be here to talk about it.

That's WEAK indeed ;) but for those that fear a metaphysical explanation due to the overwhelmingly improbable odds of a finely-tuned universe able to support life one can see there's not many options. Suddenly belief in a god rather than "it was ridiculously improbable but boom we are here by chance" is the more rational explanation.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 pm

YAFF wrote:
That's WEAK indeed ;) but for those that fear a metaphysical explanation due to the overwhelmingly improbable odds of a finely-tuned universe able to support life one can see there's not many options. Suddenly belief in a god rather than "it was ridiculously improbable but boom we are here by chance" is the more rational explanation.

:roll: Ugh.....I don't "fear a metaphysical explanation" at all. I'm just perfectly fine with going about my life leaving questions like that unanswered, mainly because I personally find them unanswerable. And if the universe is so 'fine-tuned' then why is such a small part of it able to support life?

(in the words of my 2nd favorite band ;))

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Elessar » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
And if the universe is so 'fine-tuned' then why is such a small part of it able to support life?

Well, give God a break. No one told him how to make the universe, he just did it all by himself, IN THE DARK, with no blueprints or anything. Of course it took him a while to throw together a planet that could support life! And I guess he thought he might as well keep all the failed attempts, in much the same way that you might put your kid's shit artwork on the fridge.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby julymorning » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Elessar wrote:
The__KingOfRhye wrote:
And if the universe is so 'fine-tuned' then why is such a small part of it able to support life?

Well, give God a break. No one told him how to make the universe, he just did it all by himself, IN THE DARK, with no blueprints or anything. Of course it took him a while to throw together a planet that could support life! And I guess he thought he might as well keep all the failed attempts, in much the same way that you might put your kid's shit artwork on the fridge.

Are you referring to other celestial bodies?

I don't think they're failed attempts. I believe that just because we don't know yet what every single one of them is good for, I like to think of them as a support system for earth, and perhaps the rest of our little solar system. Perhaps the placement of all of them provides some sort of 'metaphysical glue to keep all the rest where they are. AND, perhaps they contain elements that through cosmic dust storms, refresh needed elements in a sort of stepping stone, or ripple effect, to earth.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby action » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 am

pick any part of the sky, just a little corner, and it contains millions and millions habitable planets

water, oxygen, carbon, sunlight: its all thats needed do create life. newsflash: the universe is stuffed with it
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby action » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:13 am

some planets are even MORE habitable than our earth.

there are regions on earth where life has a really hard time. deep ocean, death valley, antartics..

there are so called "super earths", ten times bigger than the earth, where the sea is never deeper than 1 meter, where the climate is evenly spread across the globe and natural resources are abound. they usually spin around red dwarves. red dwarves are everywhere. DNA can evolve ten times faster than it does on earth, in the same timeframe.

super earths are MORE common than miserable places like our earth. we are the junk yard of our universe, just barely habitable. a step down and you get worlds like mars and venus.

as for our "intelligence", we are at step 0,7. there are being who reached step 1 (control weather on their planet), step 2 (control their solar system) or even step 3 (control their galaxy). we can just barely control our planet.

it is highly likely there are far more planets with life far more intelligent than ours

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby julymorning » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:34 am

If you say so. I've never head of them. They have the exact ratio of oxygen and nitrogen, etc., to support life? A gravity field capable of keeping it to a usable depth on their surfaces? Where are they and why aren't we sending people to live there?

I don't think seas only 1 meter deep can sustain rainfall for a planet long enough for living things to survive, unless the seas cover nearly the entire area of the planet. Even then.....That's not even deep enough to sustain aquatic life for very long. What kind of temperatures do these climates have? They'd have to remain temperate enough not to freeze or get very warm as warm water can't support as much oxygen as cool.

Sound like science fiction to me.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby action » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:31 am

phpBB [video]

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby WeeMann » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:47 am

julymorning wrote:If you say so. I've never head of them. They have the exact ratio of oxygen and nitrogen, etc., to support life? A gravity field capable of keeping it to a usable depth on their surfaces? Where are they and why aren't we sending people to live there?

Sound like science fiction to me.

You have to understand interstellar distances to answer this. In the video above you'll see that Keplar 62 is 1200 light years away. To travel there at the speed of light it would take 1200 years. Whilst there is the theory of using wormholes to cut down on travel time, this is definitely still in the realm of science fiction.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby YAFF » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Elessar wrote:
The__KingOfRhye wrote:

I "hate to admit it" but this was pretty damn funny :lol:
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Views Of The World