Jesus

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Jesus

Postby WeeMann » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 am

Innuendoes wrote:And then there is this shroud. And you can all laugh at me if you want to. I don't care. I watched the long version of this when it came out and where this computer artist went over the entire body, and extensively - the face. When I saw the face, I cried. Make fun if you will. This is what I figured he looked like or very close. This is him, as far as I am concerned.

phpBB [video]

Although carbon dating proves the shroud only dates back to the middle ages.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 am

WeeMann wrote:Although carbon dating proves the shroud only dates back to the middle ages.

Depends on who you want to believe.

New scientific tests on the Shroud of Turin, which went on display Saturday in a special TV appearance introduced by the Pope, dates the cloth to ancient times, challenging earlier experiments dating it only to the Middle Ages.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... y/2038295/

Di Lazzaro and his colleagues at Italy’s National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (ENEA) conducted five years of experiments, using state-of-the-art excimer lasers to train short bursts of ultraviolet light on raw linen, in an effort to simulate the image’s coloration. The ENEA team, which published its findings in 2011, came tantalizingly close to approximating the image’s distinctive hue on a few square centimeters of fabric. But they were unable to match all the physical and chemical characteristics of the shroud image. Nor could they reproduce a whole human figure.

If the most advanced technologies available in the 21st century could not produce a facsimile of the shroud image, he reasons, how could it have been executed by a medieval forger?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... n-science/
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 am

For a divine miracle-worker, I can understand multiplying bread and fish, curing the sick, and resurrecting the dead (both others and himself). Turning water into wine at a wedding to impress people who are already pissed is slightly irresponsible, but again, I appreciate the sentiment.

But what is the sense in the magic ability to irreversibly print your sweaty, tortured face onto a piece of cloth?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby sebastian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Elessar wrote:But what is the sense in the magic ability to irreversibly print your sweaty, tortured face onto a piece of cloth?

He was half-pigeon, so his sense of logic was quite different. I wonder if that had any effect on his speaking accent, though... he'd theoretically speak Aramaic with a bit of a mongrel phonology (having been raised by an assumingly Nazarene mum and a Bethlehem-born dad/step-dad/carer).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:00 pm

We've absolutely no idea what he was up to between very early childhood and the age of around 30. I'm turning 30 quite soon, so the gap in our knowledge of his life is the same size as my entire life, and I've done some shit. There are fanciful rumours (occasionally turned into dubious semi-nationalistic hymns) that he went on trading expeditions with his Uncle Joseph of Arimathea, and that perhaps they ventured as far as Glastonbury in England. Very fanciful indeed.

(The Brits aren't the only people who have tried to combine nationalism with Christianity, of course. Didn't you know that after he died, Jesus appeared to the Native Americans - the lost tribe of Israel - somewhere in America? Well, he did, and it must be true because Joseph Smith, a convicted fraudster, found it written on some scrolls somewhere.)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby sebastian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Yeah, he probably went to the Tor and attended a few rock festivals. The ability to multiply spirits would've come in handy. And if it poured, he could still walk on water. Moreover, after having been the only Caucasian person in Galilee, he probably felt more at home with ginger Celts.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 am

Elessar wrote:We've absolutely no idea what he was up to between very early childhood and the age of around 30. I'm turning 30 quite soon, so the gap in our knowledge of his life is the same size as my entire life, and I've done some shit. There are fanciful rumours (occasionally turned into dubious semi-nationalistic hymns) that he went on trading expeditions with his Uncle Joseph of Arimathea, and that perhaps they ventured as far as Glastonbury in England. Very fanciful indeed.

(The Brits aren't the only people who have tried to combine nationalism with Christianity, of course. Didn't you know that after he died, Jesus appeared to the Native Americans - the lost tribe of Israel - somewhere in America? Well, he did, and it must be true because Joseph Smith, a convicted fraudster, found it written on some scrolls somewhere.)

Sure we know what he was doing. You are so funny! :lol:
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby W.K.Mahler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:11 am

W.K.Mahler
Spread Your Wings

Current Quarterback!

Postby action » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

WeeMann wrote:
Although carbon dating proves the shroud only dates back to the middle ages.

actually it dates from back when the first stars exploded and created the matter of which the shroud is made.

carbon dating is not much more accurate than the witch trials of the middle ages.
the greatest among you will be your servant

action
Don't Stop Me Now

woe to you, teachers of the law, you hypocrites!

Postby Spirish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:I'll have a look at your video when I come back from church, Weemann. Don't forget - the bible was written by humans over numerous years, 100s. There is always room for errors when you are dealing with humans.

And not to you but anyone else, the Catholics don't worship Mary like you think you know we do. Enough Catholic bashing, please...

I was raised Catholic. They do. At least Roman Catholics in the UK and Ireland do. A Virgin Mary statue is a staple part of any Catholic Irish pub to remind the filthy Prods that they're not welcome.

I was born, raised and am still Catholic. There are no saint statues in any bars, at least for the purpose you are talking about. If someone wants to go out and buy one and put it in their bar, that's their decision and certainly not the church's.

And in all the parishes I have been a member of, no one worships Mary. In fact, one of our priests had that misnomer as part of his homily last weekend.

I am also a Catholic and yes Mary is worshiped in Ireland and in Spain. I know because any time I had to confess I was always told to pray 50 Hail Mary or so :D. She may not be portrayed with such importance in the US (where I believe you're from) but she's a big deal over here ;)
Another party's over /And I'm left cold sober
My baby left me for somebody new
I don't wanna talk about it / Want to forget about it
Wanna be intoxicated with that special brew

Spirish
Spread Your Wings

All things must pass

Previous

Return to Views Of The World