Jesus

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Jesus

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:30 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Someone read the Da Vinci Code lately, maybe.....:lol:


You know the most worrying thing?

You know how they keep going on about a "second coming".

If somebody suddenly stood up in the middle if the Vatican, and said "Hey, I'm not pulling your pisser. I REALLY am Jesus Christ reincarnated." They'd go "Hmmmm!" and then pretty much immediately do what they did to him last time around.

"Jesus! I've told you. Stop biting your nails!"
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14168
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Jesus

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Maybe they'd say he was mad.....or a swine....or something like that.
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Jesus

Postby YAFF » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm

action wrote:my work? lolwut. this is not a scientific paper. no links / evidence is needed whatsoever. you can chose to comment on my argument, or you don't. that's as far as your competence goes.

the day i publish an article in national geographic, you can ask me for evidence. until then, you look kind of foolish.

i'm a READER of national geographic, not a writer. i can comment on what i read / see. missed the last issue? the joke's on you then. your chance comes when they repeat the broadcast.


LOL. You are talking out of your ass by parroting someone else's work with no research of your own and *I* look foolish?!? Sit down son you are a novice on this topic. The stuff you are saying has been discredited many times over. I already know about NG's "Jesus Mysteries", a tabloid like serious of outlandish claims to garner ratings and readership. I knew about the "Jesus' tomb" palaver when it was first claimed 8 years ago. It's just a rehash of old, debunked claims. Yet you spout them like you are revealing shocking new evidence and you apparently believe it...why?...cuz you read it? :lol:
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Jesus

Postby action » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm

YAFF wrote:LOL. You are talking out of your ass by parroting someone else's work with no research of your own and *I* look foolish?!? Sit down son you are a novice on this topic. The stuff you are saying has been discredited many times over. I already know about NG's "Jesus Mysteries", a tabloid like serious of outlandish claims to garner ratings and readership.


so NG is now a tabloid? :roll:


YAFF wrote:

I knew about the "Jesus' tomb" palaver when it was first claimed 8 years ago. It's just a rehash of old, debunked claims. Yet you spout them like you are revealing shocking new evidence and you apparently believe it...why?...cuz you read it? :lol:


and you dont believe the bible for what is written in it? yeah, let's follow "Yaffelangelo" and believe everything thats written in the bible, who needs tabloids like NG after all, which contain nothing but the workings of satan :roll: :lol:
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I want the truth

      
 
Posts: 2163
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Jesus

Postby YAFF » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:38 pm

action wrote:so NG is now a tabloid? :roll:

and you dont believe the bible for what is written in it? yeah, let's follow "Yaffelangelo" and believe everything thats written in the bible, who needs tabloids like NG after all, which contain nothing but the workings of satan :roll: :lol:


I didn't say NG was a tabloid but they aren't immune to tabloid-grade (sensational) stories over the past 10 years. They gotta sell magazines and have been going downhill for some time.

You obviously don't know what I believe about the Bible. You are just assuming and you are waaaaaaaay off ;) If you're interested to know my views on the Bible just ask. I explained them in an older thread that YOU started :lol: "Yaffelangelo" was kinda funny but Michelangelo really is in no shape or form an authority let alone a reliable source for historical information about Jesus of Nazareth! You do know what decade he was living in, yes?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Jesus

Postby julymorning » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:23 am

Someone's high.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Jesus

Postby Bicycle Races » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Brilliant song by the band.

I trust in Him, and that's my last word on the subject.

Carry on.
 
Bicycle Races
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Jesus

Postby sebastian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm

I don't think Jesus Christ ever existed. However, I cannot and will not ever be able to prove it (same with unicorns, bigfoot, Thor, Odin, etc).

However, I'm 99.99999% sure that, if he ever existed, he was certainly not the blond bloke he tends to be depicted as, he was very likely not to have been an only child or to have been single, unmarried and childless by the time he turned 33. And I'm sure, had he ever existed, he's been misquoted more than any other historical figure ever.

I sort of like the lyrics of Judas' first song on JCS (lyrics by the great Tim Rice): 'but every word you say today gets twisted 'round some other way.'
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Jesus

Postby Elessar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:31 pm

I think there's a reasonable amount of historical evidence he existed. Little or no good quality evidence that he was magic, of course. I'm also pretty sure there's more evidence that Buddha existed, and he was a good 500 years before Jesus.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Jesus

Postby julymorning » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:25 pm

sebastian wrote:I don't think Jesus Christ ever existed. However, I cannot and will not ever be able to prove it (same with unicorns, bigfoot, Thor, Odin, etc).

However, I'm 99.99999% sure that, if he ever existed, he was certainly not the blond bloke he tends to be depicted as, he was very likely not to have been an only child or to have been single, unmarried and childless by the time he turned 33. And I'm sure, had he ever existed, he's been misquoted more than any other historical figure ever.

I sort of like the lyrics of Judas' first song on JCS (lyrics by the great Tim Rice): 'but every word you say today gets twisted 'round some other way.'


Who depicts him as blonde? Everything I've every seen has him correctly in very dark hair.
He wasn't an only child, but he was Mary's firstborn. She and Joseph went on to have some sons, can't remember how many. I think it's the Catholic church that teach that Jesus is the only child she had, so that it ties in with her being forever "virginal".

One day some years ago a male 'friend' of the guy I was with imposed himself on our campsite and in his usual drunken, foul mouthed state got angry at me when,in response to his adoration of the "virgin" Mary, I stated the above and he got up in my face with his fist drawn ready to knock me out for such blasphemy. Looking back on it and him, he must have been Irish Catholic.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Jesus

Postby sebastian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm

julymorning wrote:Who depicts him as blonde?


Revelation C1V14 NKJV: 'His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire.' https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev+1&version=NKJV

11th century depiction: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 0-1100.jpg

15th century depictions: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... christ.jpg, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... relser.jpg and, of course, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a-1520.jpg

17th century depiction (he's meant to be twelve in that painting): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... c01783.jpg

Jesus as played by English actor Rober Powell: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 36a91d.jpg By the way, for many people (myself included), that film was the first depiction we ever saw of JC.

American actor Jeffrey Hunter (brunette) wore a blond wig (or perhaps dyed his hair) to play JC in King of Kings, another very popular JC-related film: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... e103d6.jpg

The first and possibly most popular version of JCS had blond actor Ted Neeley on the title role: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/304 ... 1299_o.jpg

Then, in the mid nineties, the musical was resurrected (pun intended) in the West End with my favourite singer, Steve Balsamo, in the title role: http://www.stevebalsamo.co.uk/images/JC ... andard.jpg

In 2000, the musical was re-shot with Scouser Glenn Carter as JC: http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/11536_1.jpg
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Jesus

Postby julymorning » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:44 pm

sebastian wrote:
julymorning wrote:Who depicts him as blonde?


Revelation C1V14 NKJV: 'His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire.' https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev+1&version=NKJV


That would be a description of him perhaps to indicate sage-ness? It also says his eyes were like a flame of fire. This image is meant to inspire a respectful reaction, not as he looked as a man on earth. I mean, eyes like flame of fire......c'mon that's not even human.


As you say, these are depictions. They've all taken artistic liberties which is very common unless commissioned to do a portrait. And I would not consider that blonde, more of a reddish chestnut, which could be due to fading or more accurately because of the nationality of the artists in question, lending characteristics of their own race.

Jesus as played by English actor Rober Powell: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 36a91d.jpg By the way, for many people (myself included), that film was the first depiction we ever saw of JC.

American actor Jeffrey Hunter (brunette) wore a blond wig (or perhaps dyed his hair) to play JC in King of Kings, another very popular JC-related film: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... e103d6.jpg

The first and possibly most popular version of JCS had blond actor Ted Neeley on the title role: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/304 ... 1299_o.jpg

Then, in the mid nineties, the musical was resurrected (pun intended) in the West End with my favourite singer, Steve Balsamo, in the title role: http://www.stevebalsamo.co.uk/images/JC ... andard.jpg

In 2000, the musical was re-shot with Scouser Glenn Carter as JC: http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/11536_1.jpg


Again, artistic license. One could probably find just as many depictions of him dark and swarthy. His Mother was Hebrew, he would have probably had some likeness to her.

I notice in some of the lighter reddish haired paintings, the whole painting is in golden tones. I wonder about the paints used and their limitations. The lighter colors could be to carry through the glowing light surrounding him and reflecting off of him.
Google images shows him mostly dark haired.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Jesus

Postby sebastian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

However, your post read:

julymorning wrote:Everything I've every seen has him correctly in very dark hair.


Which either implies you've got no idea what the term 'everything' means or you've spent all your life without having ever seen any of the maaaaaaany depictions of JC with blond (or ginger, or brown) hair instead of 'very dark.'
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Jesus

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:26 am

And then there is this shroud. And you can all laugh at me if you want to. I don't care. I watched the long version of this when it came out and where this computer artist went over the entire body, and extensively - the face. When I saw the face, I cried. Make fun if you will. This is what I figured he looked like or very close. This is him, as far as I am concerned.

phpBB [video]
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9611
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Jesus

Postby julymorning » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:20 am

sebastian wrote:However, your post read:

julymorning wrote:Everything I've every seen has him correctly in very dark hair.


Which either implies you've got no idea what the term 'everything' means or you've spent all your life without having ever seen any of the maaaaaaany depictions of JC with blond (or ginger, or brown) hair instead of 'very dark.'



Yup.

The thing is, for the first 35 years of my life I didn't pay any attention. Being trotted to church once a yearin my 'Easter finery' as a little girl meant nothing more than getting to the donuts or whatever they put out. If I happened to look at the pictures in one of those kid level "Story of Jesus" books had him with dark hair. Brown is dark, black is dark, I didn't make a career of studying the pictures so I could say JESUS had such and such color hair! I just wanted to get to the treats and get the hell out of there. Sunday school,if I happened to get sent, became a blank, traumatized by the fighting my parents always ended up doing over the whole business of going to church.

I don't recall seeing anything about Jesus during my one and only trip to the St Louis Missouri art museum.
My book reading consisted of science fiction, and Steven Kind type genre. I avoided religious movies,plays,etc.,for the most part.

The first time that I paid any attention to anything connected with Christ was when I started studying the Bible with and worshiping with one particular religion and any "depictions" (I'm beginning to loathe that word) did, yes, have him in dark hair.

Believe it or not, there are people that don't go around comparing artist renderings of their likeness of Christ, in order to disprove the idea of his true being. Such a thing deserves delving into more meaningful comparisons, such as dogma.

In conclusion, no, I didn't notice, or didn't notice sufficiently to be bothered by it. And apparently my explanation of what you've so carefully taken notes of, hold no water with you.

I think it's hysterical that on Judgement Day, if there is one and you're alive to experience it, this is going to be your excuse for not believing- "Jesus' hair color wasn't right".

ETA: This marks the 10 year of owning a computer that I can get onto the internet. So now while I have the capability of looking up images, such as I just did to see what you were referring to, It's still not something I will likely do again,because it doesn't matter to me what someone wants him to look like. Or did look like. If there was photography then, I would be interested. If one of his apostles, or followers chose to do a drawing of him, that would be interesting. The rest of this is after the fact art work isn't. Not to me.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1506
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 218 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests