The EU Referendum

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should we leave the EU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes
9
50%
No
9
50%
 
Total votes : 18

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Now everyone will vote to stay in because you're thick if you want to come out! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-35470281
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:09 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-35592466

How can we negotiate over child benefits? How on earth can we expect the British people to go to work, to pay their taxes, to then pay child benefit for children that don't even live in this country? It's great that people want to come here for a better life and to earn better money, but how can this be justified? Sure, we pay it to British people (and it should be means tested, but that's another story) but to pay it to people who aren't even British? Hmm...no, that's not what I want to happen with my taxes.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Bea » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:00 am

I'd vote to leave. The 'human rights' thing is just plain stupid. The amount of money we pay to Europe is ludicrous. They don't like us anyway. The country would be better off without all of their stupid restrictive laws.

Who needs some idiots to order us to change our lightbulbs, and change our vacuum cleaners, and wire our houses in a different way. Have you seen the way the houses abroad are wired? Dangling wires, holes in the roads and the roofs. People we want to send home who're costing a fortune to keep, and the massive legal aid funds they use to stay. The right to a 'home life' because they own a cat............what's that about.

All those young male 'refugees' should be sent back to fight for their own countries, not come here and then send for their kith and kin to join them. The whole thing is pure rubbish.

According to the papers we export more to the rest of the world than to Europe, so what we lose in trade will be minimal.

I'm so against these 'career' politicians who've never lived in the nine to five world that normal folk live in. They have no idea how the majority of the country lives. They shouldn't be allowed in parliament until they've done some good hard labour in the real world for at least ten years. They're living in their own little cocoons, they don't give a damn about 'regular' folk, it's all about making their mark and money money money........for them not us. I mean look at Blair with his millions, he's done nothing to earn all that money, and Cameron and co will all do the same thing.

I'm so glad to be old sometimes, because I'd sure as hell not want to be young in this world.
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.
 
Bea
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

I like morphine it's brilliant.

      
 
Posts: 83
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 am
Location: Scouseport
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 609 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 am

Bea wrote:I'd vote to leave. The 'human rights' thing is just plain stupid. The amount of money we pay to Europe is ludicrous. They don't like us anyway. The country would be better off without all of their stupid restrictive laws.

Who needs some idiots to order us to change our lightbulbs, and change our vacuum cleaners, and wire our houses in a different way. Have you seen the way the houses abroad are wired? Dangling wires, holes in the roads and the roofs. People we want to send home who're costing a fortune to keep, and the massive legal aid funds they use to stay. The right to a 'home life' because they own a cat............what's that about.

All those young male 'refugees' should be sent back to fight for their own countries, not come here and then send for their kith and kin to join them. The whole thing is pure rubbish.

According to the papers we export more to the rest of the world than to Europe, so what we lose in trade will be minimal.

I'm so against these 'career' politicians who've never lived in the nine to five world that normal folk live in. They have no idea how the majority of the country lives. They shouldn't be allowed in parliament until they've done some good hard labour in the real world for at least ten years. They're living in their own little cocoons, they don't give a damn about 'regular' folk, it's all about making their mark and money money money........for them not us. I mean look at Blair with his millions, he's done nothing to earn all that money, and Cameron and co will all do the same thing.

I'm so glad to be old sometimes, because I'd sure as hell not want to be young in this world.


This sounds exactly like the USA. It sucks!
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby icy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Bea wrote:I'd vote to leave. The 'human rights' thing is just plain stupid. The amount of money we pay to Europe is ludicrous. They don't like us anyway. The country would be better off without all of their stupid restrictive laws.

Who needs some idiots to order us to change our lightbulbs, and change our vacuum cleaners, and wire our houses in a different way. Have you seen the way the houses abroad are wired? Dangling wires, holes in the roads and the roofs. People we want to send home who're costing a fortune to keep, and the massive legal aid funds they use to stay. The right to a 'home life' because they own a cat............what's that about.

All those young male 'refugees' should be sent back to fight for their own countries, not come here and then send for their kith and kin to join them. The whole thing is pure rubbish.

According to the papers we export more to the rest of the world than to Europe, so what we lose in trade will be minimal.

I'm so against these 'career' politicians who've never lived in the nine to five world that normal folk live in. They have no idea how the majority of the country lives. They shouldn't be allowed in parliament until they've done some good hard labour in the real world for at least ten years. They're living in their own little cocoons, they don't give a damn about 'regular' folk, it's all about making their mark and money money money........for them not us. I mean look at Blair with his millions, he's done nothing to earn all that money, and Cameron and co will all do the same thing.

I'm so glad to be old sometimes, because I'd sure as hell not want to be young in this world.


This sounds exactly like the USA. It sucks!

Inny!! :D :group:
Very happy to see you!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby JLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Good job we didn't send all immigrants back in the 1960s. None of us would be on this forum. ;)
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11418
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

JLP wrote:Good job we didn't send all immigrants back in the 1960s. None of us would be on this forum. ;)


The thing is JLP, you seem to be looking for a racist or xenophobic card when you say these things. For me, this isn't about the nationality of the human beings it's about who is paying for the human beings.

Are you happy to be working and paying your taxes so that a person from another country can claim child benefit for a child who is not even living in this country? I don't understand what Cameron is negotiating with them for. He should be giving his demands and leaving it at that, with no discussion.

I still wouldn't vote to stay though...nothing could ever make me want to be a part of such an organisation.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby JLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:10 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:Good job we didn't send all immigrants back in the 1960s. None of us would be on this forum. ;)


The thing is JLP, you seem to be looking for a racist or xenophobic card when you say these things. For me, this isn't about the nationality of the human beings it's about who is paying for the human beings.

Are you happy to be working and paying your taxes so that a person from another country can claim child benefit for a child who is not even living in this country? I don't understand what Cameron is negotiating with them for. He should be giving his demands and leaving it at that, with no discussion.

I still wouldn't vote to stay though...nothing could ever make me want to be a part of such an organisation.


I am less happy that my taxes pay child benefit and disability benefit to the likes of Cameron and his millionaire buddies. The press will spin everything to blame people from Poland, Bulgaria etc. It plays upon our inherent fears.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11418
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:21 pm

JLP wrote:
I am less happy that my taxes pay child benefit and disability benefit to the likes of Cameron and his millionaire buddies. The press will spin everything to blame people from Poland, Bulgaria etc. It plays upon our inherent fears.


I don't read the papers, so I am not aware of what they are spinning. Surely it's just common sense though isn't it? It's great that people can come here and work, it's great that we can go over there too....but paying benefits to them? I don't particularly want to pay my taxes for (some) British benefits, never mind to immigrant's children in Poland or Bulgaria. It cannot conceivably be the correct thing to do, it's just wrong on so many levels! I don't want to pay my next door neighbour's mortgage either and it's the same feeling to me.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby JLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:
I am less happy that my taxes pay child benefit and disability benefit to the likes of Cameron and his millionaire buddies. The press will spin everything to blame people from Poland, Bulgaria etc. It plays upon our inherent fears.


I don't read the papers, so I am not aware of what they are spinning. Surely it's just common sense though isn't it? It's great that people can come here and work, it's great that we can go over there too....but paying benefits to them? I don't particularly want to pay my taxes for (some) British benefits, never mind to immigrant's children in Poland or Bulgaria. It cannot conceivably be the correct thing to do, it's just wrong on so many levels! I don't want to pay my next door neighbour's mortgage either and it's the same feeling to me.



I get what you are saying and indeed share some of your concerns. But you are not saying send them back.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11418
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Kes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 pm

From an aviation point of view, part of your air fares wherever you go outside of the UK, pay for flyover rights towards whatever other people's airspace you fly over. Being part of the EU, means these are at a regulated rate, and part of the reason that two of the most successful carriers this side of the Atlantic are easyJet and Ryanair.

If the decision is made that we go out of the EU, expect travelling to become more difficult again, and noticeably more expensive.

As regards whatever percentage of the current population are from Eastern Europe, if we leave the EU, what exactly do you do with those who are already here?

As regards the child benefit issue, I think the people concerned will be saying they pay UK tax, and child benefit is a "rebate" on THAT tax. Seeing as they are probably paying hundreds of pounds worth of tax a month, and child benefit is in the tens, not the hundreds, they might argue that NONE of YOUR tax money pays for their child benefit.

Personally, I'm not really decided if we should stay or if we should go. If we stay, then we need Europe, and anyone given membership of the EU, to regulate the number of people coming into their states from outside, because you have to be realistic and say because our economy is doing so much better than a lot of Europe, that this country is a target destination for many of those trying to get to Europe.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14926
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Kes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Anyway, it's not a Tory vs Labour issue, is it?

Cameron wants to stay in, a lot of his party don't. It seems Corbyn wants to stay in, and so do a lot of his party. So if the dischord is mainly with the Tories, why is that?

The main reason we're having a referendum is because of the number of people who voted for UKIP.

For once, you lot have to vote for what's best for you. Not the political party you have chosen to follow.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14926
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:01 pm

We have a deal apparently. I'm still voting to come out. :)
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Kes wrote:Anyway, it's not a Tory vs Labour issue, is it?

Cameron wants to stay in, a lot of his party don't. It seems Corbyn wants to stay in, and so do a lot of his party. So if the dischord is mainly with the Tories, why is that?

The main reason we're having a referendum is because of the number of people who voted for UKIP.

For once, you lot have to vote for what's best for you. Not the political party you have chosen to follow.


The Labour party are currently unelectable. They are in the same hole that they were in when they had Michael Foot as their leader. There is nothing essentially wrong with left wing politics, just that the people of this country don't want them!

My main issue with Europe is money. I'm not motivated by money, not at all, in fact the opposite is true in some ways, but I can't readily accept that we belong to a club where have to ask what we will do with our taxes. The very notion that we can, in return, go to Poland or wherever to earn next to nothing is not really an argument...it's a stupid argument.

Who knows which way this will go? I suspect we will vote to stay, but I also think we just might be seeing the beginning of the end of the whole European project. If it's not Brexit, the next scandal is always just around the corner. It won't be long before Greece is in trouble again...
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby fairydandy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-35683387

What a repulsive, dwarf-like woman she is. :roll: Scotland democratically decides to stay with us, but then she says that if we vote to leave the EU, then Scotland will have to have another referendum to leave us. Why would that be? If we vote to leave, but it came about that Birmingham (for example) had voted to stay, would Birmingham then demand a referendum to leave the UK? I thought this was just democracy. :roll:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8690
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 434 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests