The EU Referendum

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should we leave the EU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 18

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:51 am

Oh, and congratulations to anybody who either put a large bet on Brexit, or changed lots of Sterling into Euros yesterday, you've probably just made a comparitively easy fortune.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:55 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
Kes wrote:Boris Johnson becoming prime minister is almost as outrageous as Donald Trump becoming President of the USA. Boris is quite possibly a bigger buffoon, but in so, maybe a bit less dangerous.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure a lot of Boris' buffoonery is an act.

I might be wrong, but I'm also pretty sure most of Donald Trump's sexism and racism, is just an "act".

It possibly chancing it a bit to sit, wait and allow it to happen, before you know for certain.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 am

Kes wrote:I might be wrong, but I'm also pretty sure most of Donald Trump's sexism and racism, is just an "act".

In fairness though, there's a large gulf between Boris and a man who thinks all Muslims should be given special identification cards in shades of Germany '35.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 am

a black day for politicians and multinationals, a white day for democracy
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:24 am

Yeah, OK. From that aspect he's probably a bit more like Reagan was perceived... A bumbling idiot with his finger on a big red button.

At least Boris "might" press it if the requirement was there, unlike his opposition Jeremy Dustbin, who's said he wouldn't even press it if London was flattened, and nuclear bombs were sprouting up over the British countryside like a mushroom farm.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 am

Waits for the Sun to say won it.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Quite shocked at the result - although it is what I wanted. What a ballsy country we are. Maybe now we can start to get a grip on this ridiculous immigration problem we have here.

I believe that Obama made things ten times worse for the Remain campaign by speaking shit and being an absolute hypocrite. This nonsense plus the fact that the Remain campaign loved to play the race card certainly swayed some voters, I believe.

I just hope that this country now starts to get its respect back again. We have always been a tolerant land, but in recent times we have been too tolerant: those that come to live here are welcome, as long as they live by our rules and accept our tolerant views.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Tattletale » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:21 pm

:shock: I'm shocked! Though I understand and agree with the intentions, I hope things remain stable for UK and the economy. And I certainly hope they realize just who and what they stood up to and how much power they have. My heart goes out to everyone who might suffer because of this.

Tattletale
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Tattletale wrote::shock: I'm shocked! Though I understand and agree with the intentions, I hope things remain stable for UK and the economy. And I certainly hope they realize just who and what they stood up to and how much power they have. My heart goes out to everyone who might suffer because of this.

I think there is definitely a feeling of apprehension and a little fear of the unknown today for many people. But the voters have spoken - and in huge numbers! - many of us in this country have had enough with EU regulations and all the bullshit that goes with it. Immigration was obviously a massive issue - and rightly so.

I know others that I have spoken to who voted leave were aware that the economy may suffer, but they - as well as I - were prepared to take that risk in order to get our powers back and our country back.

Also, many people are sick and tired with the race card being played every single time we stand up for our isle - the attack on Nigel Farage and his immigration poster being just one pathetic attempt at misdirecting the general public away from the real facts. It is lazy and it is untrue...but, thankfully, there are enough of us in this country that see beyond it.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
Kes wrote:Boris Johnson becoming prime minister is almost as outrageous as Donald Trump becoming President of the USA. Boris is quite possibly a bigger buffoon, but in so, maybe a bit less dangerous.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure a lot of Boris' buffoonery is an act.

A mate of mine worked for him at TFL and says he's actually a very sharp guy. I can well believe that.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:25 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Quite shocked at the result - although it is what I wanted. What a ballsy country we are. Maybe now we can start to get a grip on this ridiculous immigration problem we have here.

Except for the fact that the majority of immigrants to this country come from outside the EU and, therefore, the EU's rules on open borders have had very little influence on immigration.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Farage has backtracked regarding the £350 million that was to be used to sort out the NHS (like that money was ever going to really be there) and Cornwall have started looking for assurances that the £60 million they get in EU handouts to stay afloat won't be affected.

I can see a return to recession and further austerity measures. In the short to medium term this is going to do a lot of damage to our economy. Fuel prices are already set to rise over the next week or so due directly to the drop in the value of the pound.

WeeMann

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I've lost about two months' salary this morning on the FTSE. Cheers, Britain.

Elessar

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:33 pm

People who say Britain and specifically England are not racist countries are wrong. Back in the 1940s there were race riots when people from the Caribbean started to arrive. Unfortunately xenophobia and racisn have won the day. I wonder how many people who are complaining that immigrants are taking our jobs will be happy to go potatoe picking for shit wages.

I am not sayiny everyone who voted out is a racist. However I think it is safe to say that immigration was the isue that won the day.Oh and the fucking lie about £350 million a week to fund the NHS.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:15 pm

The best model they have on how we will probably operate is Norway...

To be able to free trade with the EU...

Higher contribution per head of population than Britain pre-yesterday. There goes your £350m.

Have to have free movement of EU citizens between borders. No change in immigration then?

Have to comply with EU manufacturing and produce regulations to sell that product in the EU. Oh, so we still have the silly regs about straight bananas and cucumbers then?

Have absolutely NO say in the laws that get passed in Brussels.

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind betting that's "about" where we are in two years.

Add to that, about a quarter to a third of our financial services, the bit of the country that pays about 15-20% of the tax generated by HMRC, will now probably be fucking off to Paris or Frankfurt.

Yay. Go Brexit... Ermmm! What were the advantages of voting out, again? Oh yeah, to stick two fingers up at the rich establishment fuckers, who just seem to be about the only ones who are going to be making out of this "choice" of our's.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World