The EU Referendum

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should we leave the EU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes
9
50%
No
9
50%
 
Total votes : 18

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 am

WeeMann wrote:That's all very well, but there is more info we have to go on.


How are you using geolocation unless you are using IP addresses to do it?
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 am

Innuendoes wrote:
WeeMann wrote:That's all very well, but there is more info we have to go on.


How are you using geolocation unless you are using IP addresses to do it?


We have satellites trained on each continent, although there is discussion that the one over Antarctica could be better utilised elsewhere.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6392
Images: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 am

WeeMann wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
WeeMann wrote:That's all very well, but there is more info we have to go on.


How are you using geolocation unless you are using IP addresses to do it?


We have satellites trained on each continent, although there is discussion that the one over Antarctica could be better utilised elsewhere.


Yea right. I sold Cable, DSL, Satellite and even Dial-up for multiple vendors, all from the same workplace. I do understand how these things work. :whistle:
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 am

It's not exactly quantum physics. Just use a computer wifi for one account, and an iPhone with 3G for the other.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11185
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 am

Elessar wrote:It's not exactly quantum physics. Just use a computer wifi for one account, and an iPhone with 3G for the other.


Yep, or if your neighbor is on DSL and you're on Cable, just switch to their router, unless they have it secured. Brings up a whole different IP address and a different ISP as well.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:It's not exactly quantum physics. Just use a computer wifi for one account, and an iPhone with 3G for the other.


Yep, or if your neighbor is on DSL and you're on Cable, just switch to their router, unless they have it secured. Brings up a whole different IP address and a different ISP as well.


We all know how to do it. The point is, I'm being accused of it, and it's not true.

Although for what it's worth, everyone has Broadband in the UK, and people tend to password protect their routers.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11185
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am

Elessar wrote:It's not exactly quantum physics. Just use a computer wifi for one account, and an iPhone with 3G for the other.


The kind of people on here who want to either attack another user or bolster their own argument with an alias don't tend to be clever enough to do that though.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.
 
WeeMann
Moderator
 
User avatar

 

Not even on the B list...

      
 
Posts: 6392
Images: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Shropshire
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:48 am

Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:It's not exactly quantum physics. Just use a computer wifi for one account, and an iPhone with 3G for the other.


Yep, or if your neighbor is on DSL and you're on Cable, just switch to their router, unless they have it secured. Brings up a whole different IP address and a different ISP as well.


We all know how to do it. The point is, I'm being accused of it, and it's not true.

Although for what it's worth, everyone has Broadband in the UK, and people tend to password protect their routers.


My neighbors on the east side didn't. I used to get online when cable went down via their router. They pay a flat rate, anyway, so it wasn't using their bandwidth at that time. Now they're protected. I also used to log in via some Nursery School in the area if the neighbor's router didn't show up but it was a very weak signal.

Broadband can be either cable or DSL. DSL goes through the phone lines, Cable goes through the cable lines and fiber optic goes through a specialized phone line to the DSLAMs I think. That was something my company didn't use, yet. It's like AT&T's Uverese which apparently people are not nearly as happy with as people were with Verizon's fiber optic, connecting at 150 mbps per second. Our cable runs around 50 mbps per second, most of the time, as far as the download. Upload speeds are slower, running around 20 mbps per second. Still, fast enough for me to run all these livestreams with no lag.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 am

I'm in the UK so the above doesn't apply to me.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11185
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:05 am

Well, no, DSL is Broadband. It's been a while since I've sold it and sold the sales pitch to do it. Here, there used to be 3 speeds of DSL and they all route to a DSLAM in the neighborhood. Each DSLAM has multiple nodes, for say 2.5 mbps, 5.0 mbps and more for 10 or 20 mbps depending on what the company offers. It's called Broadband because it's going through the phone line but a different line than the phone call, itself, therefore, the wire is shaped differently and they run side by side with each other to the DSLAMS. If you move to a new apartment or flat or whatever, you are only able to get what is available in the DSLAM closest to you so if all the lower speed nodes are full, you have to move up to the medium speed. But most people would prefer the fastest speed and if that is even available in your neighborhood, there will be a waiting list to get on at that speed, if it's available at all. If it's available, you're good to go.

With Cable, that's completely separate from phone lines and everyone connects to the node at the same speed and the same wires which can slow your speed, drastically, if the whole neighborhood comes home from work and gets online at the same time because everyone is using the same wires.

So, DSL is actually better, but it's technically slower. But in effect, the cable is much faster, anyway, because it's a faster type of service, if that all makes sense.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 am

Elessar wrote:I'm in the UK so the above doesn't apply to me.


You only have one method of connecting in the long run, then? Your phone will still go through the same lines, then, if it's going through the same router as your computer. Right?
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 am

Google IP Chicken with your computer, then with your phone and see if the IP address is the same. It should be, unless you do not connect with the phone through the router. We do - we have to. Our mobile signal isn't strong enough out here to connect via the mobile service.
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am

Sorry, what's the purpose of the above three posts? Is it part of the conspiracy theory that I'm using an alias?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11185
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 am

Elessar wrote:Sorry, what's the purpose of the above three posts? Is it part of the conspiracy theory that I'm using an alias?


No, having a little fun explaining various ways of connecting to the net and their benefits or faults over each other. Just having a bit of fun after being rushed all day and night for graphics. Stress relief? lol
 
Innuendoes
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby action » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 am

.
Last edited by action on Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I know what's right and what's wrong

      
 
Posts: 2785
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests