Election Debate

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Election Debate

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am

With the UK election build up in full swing now, tonight for the first time in the UK we will have a TV debate with the 3 main party leaders.
Anyone going to watch this?

Out of interest I will be (yes I am sad lol).

Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You

Should be doing something else

Re: Election Debate

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:With the UK election build up in full swing now, tonight for the first time in the UK we will have a TV debate with the 3 main party leaders.
Anyone going to watch this?

Out of interest I will be (yes I am sad lol).

I doubt it. If they would actually answer questions honestly I just might but we all know they will flannel and bluster.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 am

"Can I just say..."

At the beginning of every single sentence.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Brian's Rubber Duck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 am

I will deff follow it as its going to have a huge impact on my job (Childcare, education is always a biggy for them). Although I know they just lie all the times so I probably wont bother voting as no matter who I vote for they wont follow through with what they say.
RIP Zephie, Eva and Emma

Brian's Rubber Duck
Spread Your Wings

Ever drink baileys from a shoe?

Postby herbi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am

At the risk of sounding cynical ( it's politics!...surely not) it'll no doubt be a watered down version of prime ministers question time. There are apparently a whole host of rules they'll have to abide by which will probably stifle any real debate.

herbi
Spread Your Wings

Postby '39 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 am

I'll be watching (hell, I even watched the US presidential and vice presidential debates!) so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Cameron's got everything to lose, Clegg's got a great opportunity to gain and Brown is probably just hoping to get through unscathed.

No matter what the outcome, at least our candidates are vaguely concious...no Palin intelligence vacuum here...

'39
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ace » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:53 am

I suspect all three candidates will be focusing on not making a cock up as you can always lose more than you can win at these debates.

Brown's team have already got their defence in early by suggesting that poor old Gordon is not as eloquent as Cameron but will focus on the issues. So if Brown gets beaten tonight they've already expalined that he's not a showman. If he comes off well then thats down to his policies.

It would be nice for all three of them to tell us the truth instead of ducking the issues. The country is in the shit, how are you going to get us out. What cuts will you make and when?

Its ridiculous trying to decide on who to vote for based on their future proposals becasue all three are lying through their teeth. They all know that there are massive cuts ahead. I prefer to take make my decision based on their past performance, not the soft soap we're hearing from them at the moment.

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby '39 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Ace wrote:It would be nice for all three of them to tell us the truth instead of ducking the issues. The country is in the shit, how are you going to get us out. What cuts will you make and when?

Weirdly, this is our fault isn't it?. Nobody can win an election by campaigning on tax hikes and service cuts. Are we too immature to face reality?

It would be honourable of somebody to provide firm details like those you've mentioned but the resulting open goal would be waaay to tempting for the others. Look at the National Insurance arguments. The Tories jumped on that one, despite the fact that it's largely a non-argument, and they had up to that point, been promoting themselves as the realists.

'39
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm gonna watch just to see Brown squirm.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Ace » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm

'39 wrote:
Ace wrote:It would be nice for all three of them to tell us the truth instead of ducking the issues. The country is in the shit, how are you going to get us out. What cuts will you make and when?

Weirdly, this is our fault isn't it?. Nobody can win an election by campaigning on tax hikes and service cuts. Are we too immature to face reality?

It would be honourable of somebody to provide firm details like those you've mentioned but the resulting open goal would be waaay to tempting for the others. Look at the National Insurance arguments. The Tories jumped on that one, despite the fact that it's largely a non-argument, and they had up to that point, been promoting themselves as the realists.

You are bang on with that. There is an immaturity with us as voters in excepting the truth. But we do need the truth. Is the policy going to be to try and grow the economy out of the problems and ride the storm of international opinion on our national debt like the Greeks tried to do or are we going to knuckle down to hard cuts like the Canadians did over a decade ago. Thats the real choice.

Experts do difer on these two tactics. Some say you can ride your debt until the economy is back on track, others say you must get your finances in order as quick as possible and take the pain. Either strategy has risks.

Personally, I would like to see us get our finances straight. The Western world has lived beyond its means for a number of years and our expectations of service provision far outweigh our productivity. We are not pruducing enough wealth through our labours to justify our Western lifestyles and are becoming more and more in hock to Eastern nations who have access to cheap labour and expectations of far lower living standards. China is holding so much Western debt now and this is growing. We have to get back to prodicing our own goods and services and not rely on cheap alternatives. In a nut shell, we are becoming fat and bloated consumers without being prepared to earn those services and goods. Our industry needs to become competative. We all "deserve" good healthcare, education and living standards. But we've got to earn it. At the moment we don't and we've borrowed the money to pay for the shortfall over the last decade.

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby '39 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Ace wrote:Experts do difer on these two tactics. Some say you can ride your debt until the economy is back on track, others say you must get your finances in order as quick as possible and take the pain. Either strategy has risks.

Personally, I would like to see us get our finances straight.

I agree...once the current (jobless) 'recovery' has been 'seen-through'.

It's incredible (or is that hopelessly depressing) how cyclical politics is. To grossly over-generalise: Labour spend, increase the debt, people happy...Tories reduce the deficit, shore up our finances, people miserable.

I'm quite happy for somebody to come in and perform the latter...it's just a shame from my own personal ideological standpoint that it's going to be the Conservatives. Fundamentally, I'm a Labour supporter. But for their own good, they need a period of renewal. If there was an option on the ballot for "Labour circa 2014 with David Milliband as leader" then this election would be easy for me. As it happens, it's more complicated than that.

'39
Spread Your Wings

Postby Silver Rocker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Ace wrote:
Personally, I would like to see us get our finances straight. The Western world has lived beyond its means for a number of years and our expectations of service provision far outweigh our productivity. We are not pruducing enough wealth through our labours to justify our Western lifestyles and are becoming more and more in hock to Eastern nations who have access to cheap labour and expectations of far lower living standards. China is holding so much Western debt now and this is growing. We have to get back to prodicing our own goods and services and not rely on cheap alternatives. In a nut shell, we are becoming fat and bloated consumers without being prepared to earn those services and goods. Our industry needs to become competative. We all "deserve" good healthcare, education and living standards. But we've got to earn it. At the moment we don't and we've borrowed the money to pay for the shortfall over the last decade.

Well said, Ace!

Now we need to elect politicians who are statesmen, with the courage to explain the problem in such a way that everyone can understand it and the competence to be able to formulate a long term solution.

Silver Rocker
Spread Your Wings

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I'd also like to see us sort of finances out, preferably with spending less on Olympics, bankers and bombs, rather than NHS and Education.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby '39 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Silver Rocker wrote:Now we need to elect politicians who are statesmen, with the courage to explain the problem in such a way that everyone can understand it and the competence to be able to formulate a long term solution.

Love him or hate him, Blair was a rockstar politician who could be one of the most engaging speakers of the last century of British politics (when he wasn't gallivanting off into illegal wars or the like - difficult point to overlook I know).

Where's the inspiring orator now? Where is our Obama?

Brown is spectacularly dull, Cameron seems to be (a cliche I know) Blair-lite, and Clegg is like a well meaning substitute geography teacher.

Doesn't bode well for turnout does it?

'39
Spread Your Wings

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Nick Clegg has guts, he doesn't dance around the point when it comes to the other two parties, the only problem I do have with him is that to give the Lib Dems credibility he needs to understand their position, he's not going to be the next Prime Minister unless something very drastic happens in the election, in his Paxman interview he made himself look a bit unrealistic by refusing to acknowledge that right at the beginning.

It would be fair to say it wouldn't have mattered who was PM at the time, the Iraq war was going to happen. It was overwhelmingly supported at the time.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Views Of The World