are humans capable of science?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

are humans capable of science?

Postby action » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

"Once in a while though, he could not help seeing how shallow, fickle and meaningless all human aspirations are, and how emptily our real impulses contrast with those pompous ideals we profess to hold" (H.P. Lovecraft, the silver key)

we humans are so stupid. we have contempt for the beauty of nature, we commit animal cruelty, we kill people of other beliefs, we only think about money and sex, and we are the actors of the biggest extinction event since the asteroid in the carribean that killed the dinosaurs.

how could such an immoral, impulsive, revolting species be capable of understanding the workings of the universe?

more and more scientists are beginning to believe we will hit a brick wall in our understanding of nature. Basically there are two fundamental problems that we can't explain, and which mean the end of science:

- the value of the higgs field. we dont know why the higgs field is as strong as it it. if it wasnt there, nothing would ever exist. but if it WAS there in full force, the universe would rip itself apart. the higgs field is in a state of "almost ON", like a switch that's halfway between OFF and ON. scientists cant explain this and never will

- dark energy: the expansion of the universe is accelerating. scientists explain this with "dark energy", or the energy of "empty space". the energy of a vacuum. in ways that we dont understand, even emptiness contains energy. so scientists calculated all the emptiness in our universe, added up the energy and it sill wasnt enough to account for the accelerated expansion of the universe. Basically, there is "more" dark energy than the universe can physically hold. proof of multiverses? we will never know.

can we accept now that we are stupid, vile, futile creatures that have accomplished nothing and destroyed everything? we are racing towards our own extinction. well done, mankind :roll:
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Re: are humans capable of science?

Postby RynaBelle9*7 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 pm

I don't believe that humans can really be capable of science (with pure objectivity) because we tend to place our biases and beliefs into it. There is not one human on earth who can rationally and completely be objective. It is not our nature to be. Until religion, mantras, and persistent persuasion is removed from the equation, pure objective science cannot truly exist.
"I love you for your silence, I love you for your peace, the still and calm releases, that sweep into my soul, that slowly take control." ~Precious Freddie Mercury

RynaBelle9*7
Spread Your Wings

always in love

Postby Elessar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 pm

RynaBelle9*7 wrote:I don't believe that humans can really be capable of science (with pure objectivity) because we tend to place our biases and beliefs into it. There is not one human on earth who can rationally and completely be objective. It is not our nature to be. Until religion, mantras, and persistent persuasion is removed from the equation, pure objective science cannot truly exist.

That is why science is a discipline bigger than any one scientist. It’s a method designed to weed out biases.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby RynaBelle9*7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 am

Elessar wrote:
RynaBelle9*7 wrote:I don't believe that humans can really be capable of science (with pure objectivity) because we tend to place our biases and beliefs into it. There is not one human on earth who can rationally and completely be objective. It is not our nature to be. Until religion, mantras, and persistent persuasion is removed from the equation, pure objective science cannot truly exist.

That is why science is a discipline bigger than any one scientist. It’s a method designed to weed out biases.

I agree with that. I am in political science and I reflect back to my professor's words when I say that there is no human without bias. I understand the scientific method but I recognize that even without us realizing it, there are definitely biases in every study even when we follow the method perfectly. We can have others critique our studies and research but there is no guarantee that all biases are weeded out completely. Even peer reviewed, the researcher may still inject subtle bias into the study.

I am actually working on a study right now. It is on the midterm elections here in the U.S. to see whether the teacher walkout states had any increases in the turnouts. I am using a survey to add a glance of people I randomly chose to participate in the survey to share their reasons for their candidate choices and whether the teacher walkout had any influence on them. So far, I have had a resounding yes from all respondents but my concern is whether I want the teacher walkout to have had an effect simply because I was a protester. To top it off, the midterm elections this year were reportedly historical and compared with 2014, there was a sizable increase in every state. I don't know what else to factor in to be an intervening independent variable. I chose to not participate in voting in the midterm elections and to stay away from all debates to attempt to keep myself more objective. I cannot, however, deny that I am affected by this study as I do work in the educational field.
"I love you for your silence, I love you for your peace, the still and calm releases, that sweep into my soul, that slowly take control." ~Precious Freddie Mercury

RynaBelle9*7
Spread Your Wings

always in love

Postby bluerhap » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:48 pm

In 1974 I got a C o level in chemistry so obviously not

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Return to Views Of The World