Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:38 pm

julymorning wrote:...and after that everyone will be asked to denounce any religious affiliation or practice and be completely secular in their lives.


And then it will truly be Heaven For Everyone. I wish that day would come: what a better world we would live in.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby julymorning » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Elessar wrote:I was in Rome the other day and got chatting to an American girl. It was all going very well, such that I found myself needing to get a second room at my hotel where I was staying with a mate. The moderator team here will be familiar with that MO.

Anyway, after some fairly non-Christian activities, she told me she was voting Trump. I then started listing the various problems with Trump - and she said she agreed with him on them all (eg kick out the Muslims, build a wall between Mexico). I then moved onto abortion, and she said she was anti-abortion. She then said that Trump is more pro-women's rights than Hilary, and when I asked her to clarify, she said that men are superior to women, and women should obey their husbands. She then started quoting the Bible but was totally clueless when I started quoting various inconsistencies and contradictions in the Bible. Then she said that being atheist was worse than being Muslim, and that I was going to burn in Hell. She also said that Jesus still loves me though, so that was reassuring. We then resumed non-Biblical activities.

Very strange night.


:lol: If it's any consolation, there really isn't any burning hell. Unless it's Missouri, U.S.A in July. Or Spain.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1676
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 427 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Elessar wrote: We then resumed non-Biblical activities.


I now have a new favorite euphemism! :lol:
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby julymorning » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:18 pm

fairydandy wrote:It's very selfish and utterly baseless to talk of such things as 'armageddon' or the 'great tribulation'. Anyone thinking along these lines is suffering from depression, I would say. I think at least two of the contributors to this thread need to seek some help, but I'm no doctor. :?

One thing is absolutely certain, no matter what we as a species do to each other, the planet will keep spinning and the sun will keep rising over the horizon for billions and billions of years more yet. I doubt humans will be around, belief in religion will probably have ended all of that.

If anyone out there thinks that there is a god after the massacre in France last week, they are seriously deluded in my opinion. Little children rammed, driven over, squashed, torn apart, and now unidentifiable...yeah, it sounds like there is a god alright. :roll:

No wonder you're all depressed, trying to work out where he is...


I'm not depressed. Are you trying to practice medicine without a license? You have about as much knowledge to make those statements as a 4 year old.

It seems obvious to me that some of you are confused. Lets denounce the Creator and fight for our freedom to do what we want, because it's crazy to believe he exists, and then denounce him again when he doesn't intervene in the mess we've made for ourselves?

Our ancestors insisted on self-rule, believing they new what was best for them, they could figure it all out. We want to do what we want to do. So we have our freedom. Tough love kind of thing. Only the rebellious 'kids' haven't learned their lesson yet and still think they have all the answers.

There are just two reasons that would cause God to intervene in our affairs. In the meantime we're on our own, just like we (speaking metaphorically) insisted on.
Yes it's gone on waaaay too long. That brings us to my topic and forces behind the scenes manipulating circumstances to get this show on the road and done with.

No it may not be in the coming administration, the U.S. may not be a big player in this, but the wheels are definitely starting to turn.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1676
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 427 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm

.
Last edited by fairydandy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8537
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby YAFF » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Innuendoes wrote:The end is near - all signs are pointing to it. Every bit of it. I hope I am ready. I do not want my son to have to go through this world in the shape it's in now and I don't want to die until the very end. It's coming - signs are all here.


But if we're honest the signs have been there for a looooooooooooong time. Look I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses when I was younger (and dumber) and our whole doctrine was centered on us being "in the last days". A lot of people believed the outbreak of WW1 was proof the end was nigh...here we over 100+ years later. Honestly I don't know if I believe we are in the final days. It's supposed to come as a thief in the night so who really knows. Babylon The Great does not appear to have fallen.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby YAFF » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:35 pm

fairydandy wrote:
I think I said I am not a doctor. That said, it's quite clear that you are very depressed...a four year old could tell that.


Which explains why you can be aware of it?

fairydandy wrote:Why are you spouting such drivel? You do not and I repeat DO NOT know that there is a 'creator'. No, stop, don't tell me any more nonsense tonight. You do NOT know anything of the sort.


Says YOU...and my dear you really don't have a lot of credibility when it comes to deep topics. Yer mind just can't handle it. You feel threatened by God and religion, which is why you miss no chance to try and stamp out talk.

fairydandy wrote:Let's talk about the situation in France last week. Those people were killed in the name of god. Not your god? How many gods have we got now? I want to know why god stood by and watched whilst those little children were dragged under a 15 ton truck? You are talking as if you KNOW what he is thinking. You do NOT know what he is thinking, it's an impossibility and you are making it up. How many more little children are going to be crushed under trucks before you bloody religious nutcases wake up and realise that he isn't there?


This argument from evil really isn't as effective as you think. It only calls into question whether God is a loving, interventionist God not whether there is a god or not. By the way are you claiming you've never heard of the doctrine of the Fall Of Man and how that pertains to why the world is what it is.?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby YAFF » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
julymorning wrote:...and after that everyone will be asked to denounce any religious affiliation or practice and be completely secular in their lives.


And then it will truly be Heaven For Everyone. I wish that day would come: what a better world we would live in.


Bullshit. Without religion and the fear of God the world would be even worse. It acts as a restraint for at least a third of the globe.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:50 pm

.
Last edited by fairydandy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8537
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 pm

fd, we basically agree on this topic, but I don't actually think religiosity is a reflection of depression. Rather, I think it's a protective mechanism against depression. I think (although I don't have a source to cite) that atheists have higher rates of depression than god-botherers. If your life is grim but you know (for want of a more accurate word) that things will get better after you die (but don't be killing yourself as a shortcut because that ruins it), perhaps you'll get on with your crap life with a bit of optimism. In contrast, if you're atheist and know that this is IT, you're perhaps more vulnerable to depression. Equally, you're perhaps more inclined to make the most of your trivial time on this trivial rock.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11022
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:37 pm

.
Last edited by fairydandy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8537
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby julymorning » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:36 am

Elessar wrote:fd, we basically agree on this topic, but I don't actually think religiosity is a reflection of depression. Rather, I think it's a protective mechanism against depression. I think (although I don't have a source to cite) that atheists have higher rates of depression than god-botherers. If your life is grim but you know (for want of a more accurate word) that things will get better after you die (but don't be killing yourself as a shortcut because that ruins it), perhaps you'll get on with your crap life with a bit of optimism. In contrast, if you're atheist and know that this is IT, you're perhaps more vulnerable to depression. Equally, you're perhaps more inclined to make the most of your trivial time on this trivial rock.


The problem here is you are stuck on the religion thing.

Also fd, you keep repeating the same complaints and refusing to consider the explanations that might possibly make some sense. And El, you may be right about many people, because they turn to religious organizations for the wrong reason. Looking for a social group in the guise of something more altruistic.

As I said in the beginning, I'm an observer.

I picked up a book.. 4 versions of the same book actually. A few decades ago. I read the book, studied the book, forwards and backwards and from the middle out to both ends.

Much like you might try to understand and make yourself believe a science book. Oh, you didn't make that much effort believing the science book, you say? Accepted it on faith because of the writer or writers possible credentials? Fancy degrees?

Did every bit of it seem true to you because you could see for yourself how it all began, works and goes on?

Maybe like the book I'm referring too I too put it to the test, and it was understandable to me, nothing mysterious. Enough of it for me to believe what I couldn't prove to myself. Because it answers questions I had that made sense to ME. But that doesn't make me religious. it makes me educated. It's not for YOU to say it''s a false education.

Any claims to the contrary by those that want to point out contradictions see those contradictions because they want to. A person could explain why they aren't contradictions until they are blue in the face and the claimant would be shouting "NO NO NO NO!!" Been there seen that. Even been that way myself long ago.

Lets just wait and see how life pans out, if either of us is still here when all the bullshit ends, and then we'll know.
I won't say either of us will feel vindicated, because the vindication doesn't belong to us.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1676
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 427 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby YAFF » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 am

fairydandy wrote:
YAFF wrote:
Says YOU...and my dear you really don't have a lot of credibility when it comes to deep topics. Yer mind just can't handle it. You feel threatened by God and religion, which is why you miss no chance to try and stamp out talk.


Well YAFF, we've been here before haven't we? I don't pretend to be deep, nor do I pretend to be intelligent, but that doesn't mean I can't have say in these matters.

In fact, please don't bore me with one of your stupid arguments, I can't go through all that again. You win, I lose. Game over.


There is probably nothing that would convince you so I wouldn't even try at this point. Frankly I don't care whether you believe or not. Your unbelief doesn't threaten me in the least. Other people's belief most definitely affects you. Every time the subject is brought up there you are with you denying, mocking, trying to stifle/derail conversation. It's as reliable as the fact Donald Trump will say something stupid this coming week. That's fine. You don't believe. I don't care if you or your pal Elessar believe. Technically, Elessar is an agnostic, really. Unlike you he knows to make a definitive statement like "there is no god" means the onus is on you to prove that claim. It is a claim to knowledge. From what I have observed you have no strong argument for what you believe. How that doesn't make you insecure in your opinion I find bizarre. You have little to nothing to offer to the God question let alone the topic of this thread but there you are in the middle of it mooning everyone. Methinks there's more to it.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby YAFF » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:47 am

Image
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Trump, Clinton, world affairs, and the end

Postby fairydandy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:55 am

.
Last edited by fairydandy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8537
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 425 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests