Who will be the next president of the USA?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Who will win?

Clinton
69%
Trump
31%

Total votes : 13

Re: Who will be the next president of the USA?

Postby CNB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 pm

It's disgusting! Obama won two terms fair and square and should have had a mandate and all he ever got from the other side was the middle finger. Now they think we should be willing to unite under this despicable POS! No thanks! If Hillary won they wanted to impeach her before she was inaugurated. That's what they should do to HIM!!!!!
I WANT TO BREAK FREE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
THE SHOW MUST GO ON !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Ace » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 am

Elessar wrote:
They have to accept it. Their election process is clear. The candidate with the most electoral college votes wins. There's no built-in fail safe in their system, like we have in ours (in fact we have multiple). They (or rather we all) are stuck with it!

Actually there are many safeguards built in to the American system. The founding fathers actually foresaw a situation of a popularist winning the presidency and built in such safeguards.

The Supreme Court is one such safegaurd and have the power to block unconstitutional legislation. Trumps stance on Muslims would be one example. Of course Trump could try to get the members of the Supreme Court to be his followers but it would time more than the four years he's got.

In reality, there are many many republican senators who would block many of Trumps wilder plans.

I doubt we'll ever see a wall built across the Mexico border. There was a lot of wild rhetoric said during the debate, a lot of which will be almost impossible to do. Yes, many of Trumps ideas will cause great damage, many could help America greatly.

As Obama said this week, the sun will still rise tomorrow.

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:39 am

Ace wrote:
Elessar wrote:
They have to accept it. Their election process is clear. The candidate with the most electoral college votes wins. There's no built-in fail safe in their system, like we have in ours (in fact we have multiple). They (or rather we all) are stuck with it!

Actually there are many safeguards built in to the American system. The founding fathers actually foresaw a situation of a popularist winning the presidency and built in such safeguards.

The Supreme Court is one such safegaurd and have the power to block unconstitutional legislation. Trumps stance on Muslims would be one example. Of course Trump could try to get the members of the Supreme Court to be his followers but it would time more than the four years he's got.

In reality, there are many many republican senators who would block many of Trumps wilder plans.

I doubt we'll ever see a wall built across the Mexico border. There was a lot of wild rhetoric said during the debate, a lot of which will be almost impossible to do. Yes, many of Trumps ideas will cause great damage, many could help America greatly.

As Obama said this week, the sun will still rise tomorrow.

Yes, but the election result itself is irrevocable.

As you say, most of Trump's crazy policies won't come to much. What is concerning is an isolationist USA in the context of a fragmented and increasingly right-wing Europe.

Still, it's good news for Germany. They get to be the good guys in the WW3 textbooks!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 am

I am more concerned about what Trump will do about Iran and it's nuclear programme. That could be a major flash point. You would hope that humans have learnt that another global war would be a catastrophe but who knows?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 am

Lots of talk about Clooney 2020.

I can see it, actually.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:03 am

Elessar wrote:Lots of talk about Clooney 2020.

I can see it, actually.

Angelina Jolie?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 am

JLP wrote:
Elessar wrote:Lots of talk about Clooney 2020.

I can see it, actually.

Angelina Jolie?

The problem is, I think the people who rejected career politicians will also reject liberal A-list celebrities who dare to want to do wicked things like combat climate change and stop starvation in Darfur.

Bill Gates was actually considered as a potential VP for Hillary Clinton. If interested, he could be a genuinely realistic option, as neither a politician nor a 'celebrity', with genuine business acumen (rather than inheriting it from Daddy) and clearly being very smart whilst also wanting to change the world for the better.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Spook2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:28 am

agreed re career politicians

problem with these A list celebs is they fly into a starvation zone in their Lear Jet, accompanied by the world press (BBC, ITV, Sky from Britain alone) to highlight the problem

fair does

week later they go on about global warming - climate change etc, ...... but what about the carbon footprint from last week

you get the impression some do it for publicly for their own career

others , such as Ang Jo, yes I believe they believe in what they say

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Someone on my facebook posted a story saying there was a lot of people who want Michelle Obama to run next election. I thought......ya know, not the craziest thing I've ever heard. I basically wanted a third term of Barack, so that's the next best thing, right? lol

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Michelle Obama has said she's not interested. But that was before the unthinkable happened. But while she did do well in theoretical polls against Clinton and Trump, she's a black woman in a nation that has just elected a racist who boasts about grabbing women by the pussy. I fear Michelle Obama would lose.

I think the only chance of defeating the white voters in the polls is to either mobilise enormous numbers of blacks and latinos, like Obama did but Clinton failed to do (so maybe Mrs Obama would stand a chance), or to steal some of those white voters, which I think requires a white male candidate.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:12 pm

lol get a grip people. next election is 4 years away :roll: :lol:
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Would be kind of fitting if you changed the robot's head with Trump's.

Like a baby who always gets what he wants, greedy, never looses, even at a age of 70; doesn't understand the consequences of his actions.. Planet earth, the human race, is now in Trump's hands. The Joker was elected by the people of the USA.

"He's got the whole World in his hands"

Ming The Merciless

What place can you offer me today.. ? - Planet Earth.. how peaceful it looks.

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Like many I had a rough week. America's worst day since 9/11. I'm getting over it but will remain defiant for the rest of my life.

I'll throw my two cents in. It mainly concerns so-called "Christians" but applies to all hypocrites.

Lately I've read many a post or meme on Facebook that says something similar to "Just because I voted for someone who is racist, sexist, bigoted and xenophobic well that doesn't mean I am those things". So, how is it that your support, acceptance, tolerance, promotion of a person who is unequivocally those things makes you any better than Trump himself? That is some bizarre logic. You have added fuel and life to racism, sexism, bigotry and xenophobia by voting/supporting Trump.

Why did you do it? For selfish reasons, no? This is not an exhaustive list but I believe it hits the major excuses:

1. Maybe you're wealthy and want to pay less taxes because you believe in the (proven faulty) "trickle down" economic theory
2. Maybe you have unjustified belief Republicans are more supportive of police and military
3. Maybe you hate Hillary that much and think she is dishonest (despite Trump being completely proven the bigger liar)
4. It's your family tradition.
5. You're "Christian" and you have this (fantasy) belief Trump will outlaw abortion by appointing a conservative judge while having the house and senate.

By an objective measure the Republican party is the less Christ-like by far of the two parties- less "Christian". The abortion issue perhaps being it's only "more Bible- based" idea. I say "perhaps". The sanctity of marriage you burp. Well, you can take gay marriage out of the equation because that is no a longer part of their platform.

Jesus said "help the poor" and the Republicans don't give two shits about that. What? You think Jesus was racist, sexist, bigoted, etc.? That he was okay with those things? You are hypocrites and you shame your religion with your hypocrisy. You have no idea how you turn people away from Christ. You uplifted the most un-Christian candidate in modern history. The irony is: Hillary was the only candidate that talked about faith and scripture (not saying she was a saint). You have been brainwashed by the Republicans into thinking it's the "family values", "Christian-friendly" party. Where's your proof?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Things GOP voters like, in order:

1) GOP
2) NASCAR
3) God

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Montavilla » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Elessar wrote:Things GOP voters like, in order:

1) GOP
2) NASCAR
3) God

You forgot guns. I think that goes second on the list.

And, to be fair, there's a list for Dems:

1) Democratic Party
2) Free love
3) Marijuana

:lol:
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World