Page 1 of 3

French Election 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 am
by Elessar
This is now the most important election in recent world history. If Le Pen wins, the EU will have lost two of its three largest members and will no longer exist in its current form. The world will be very different.

As with Brexit, Le Pen winning is unlikely. And just as Trump was seen as even less likely than Brexit, Le Pen is less likely than Trump.

The media and the polls keep getting it wrong. Even a Tory majority in 2015 was considered the less likely than a Labour majority or a hung parliament.

Le Pen will win.

Discuss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21061.html

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:33 pm
by JLP
Elessar wrote:This is now the most important election in recent world history. If Le Pen wins, the EU will have lost two of its three largest members and will no longer exist in its current form. The world will be very different.

As with Brexit, Le Pen winning is unlikely. And just as Trump was seen as even less likely than Brexit, Le Pen is less likely than Trump.

The media and the polls keep getting it wrong. Even a Tory majority in 2015 was considered the less likely than a Labour majority or a hung parliament.

Le Pen will win.

Discuss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21061.html


thinking about the 2015 election, I wonder how many Labour and Lib Dem Brexit supporters voted Tory because they promised a referendum.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:04 pm
by fairydandy
Elessar wrote:This is now the most important election in recent world history. If Le Pen wins, the EU will have lost two of its three largest members and will no longer exist in its current form. The world will be very different.

As with Brexit, Le Pen winning is unlikely. And just as Trump was seen as even less likely than Brexit, Le Pen is less likely than Trump.

The media and the polls keep getting it wrong. Even a Tory majority in 2015 was considered the less likely than a Labour majority or a hung parliament.

Le Pen will win.

Discuss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21061.html


I am hoping she wins and just like Brexit and Trump, they probably will vote her in, just 'because they can'. The polls will be wrong, because no one will admit to voting for a far-right party...just as they wouldn't admit to voting for Donald Chump or Brexit.

Somewhere along the way, the EU forgot about the people, they forgot to ask what they actually wanted from the project and this is the end result. I don't believe that the majority of people in the EU want 'freedom of movement'. All anyone wants is a common market and neighbours that we can co-exist with, isn't it?

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:08 pm
by Elessar
Yes, and there will be very good local reasons for all these election results.

How do you feel about the prospect of weak, isolationist USA, a fragmented Europe and an increasingly dictatorial regime in Russia? Does it scare you?

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:15 pm
by fairydandy
Elessar wrote:Yes, and there will be very good local reasons for all these election results.

How do you feel about the prospect of weak, isolationist USA, a fragmented Europe and an increasingly dictatorial regime in Russia? Does it scare you?


Nothing scares me politically to be honest. There's zero chance of a war, not whilst we all have nuclear weapons.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:13 pm
by Elessar

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:26 pm
by musicalprostitute
yep, for good and for bad we will all see voters steer towards the right as the years go on. Of course, no sane person wants to see the extreme right take over - same as seeing the extreme left loons get anywhere - but I think the majority have definitely begun to stand up against the leftie nutters and their hypocritical views (they have been allowed to shout and bitch and whine for far too long).

I think we can thank The extreme Left for the rise of the extreme right. Silly fuckers.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:15 pm
by action
.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:15 pm
by action
musicalprostitute wrote:yep, for good and for bad we will all see voters steer towards the right as the years go on. Of course, no sane person wants to see the extreme right take over - same as seeing the extreme left loons get anywhere - but I think the majority have definitely begun to stand up against the leftie nutters and their hypocritical views (they have been allowed to shout and bitch and whine for far too long).

I think we can thank The extreme Left for the rise of the extreme right. Silly fuckers.


i wish extreme right took over, they are the only sane people around!

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:42 pm
by musicalprostitute
action wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:yep, for good and for bad we will all see voters steer towards the right as the years go on. Of course, no sane person wants to see the extreme right take over - same as seeing the extreme left loons get anywhere - but I think the majority have definitely begun to stand up against the leftie nutters and their hypocritical views (they have been allowed to shout and bitch and whine for far too long).

I think we can thank The extreme Left for the rise of the extreme right. Silly fuckers.


i wish extreme right took over, they are the only sane people around!


I would prefer the right to take over, but not the extreme right (to me the extreme right are just as laughable and evil as the extreme left - and we all know how nasty those lefties can be).

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:44 pm
by action
.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:40 pm
by musicalprostitute
action wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
I would prefer the right to take over, but not the extreme right (to me the extreme right are just as laughable and evil as the extreme left - and we all know how nasty those lefties can be).


right have the power in belgium, and everything is as shitty as it always was, only difference is the companies are getting even more privileged over ordinary people.

people are being called racist as much as earlier, if not more. criminals and terrorists get low punishments, and the government is doing jack shit for our safety.


I think the trouble is that the whinging left have had us all by the balls for so long now by playing the race card, etc. every time they wish to win an argument that we have all become scared to speak the truth in some cases.

In the UK I think most of us get along quite harmoniously for most of the time (different colours, sexualities, religions), but we need to stand up and tell the Muslim extremists to fuck off: no to your Sharia law courts in our tolerant country, no to your cruel Halal shit in our animal-loving country and no to your outdated, racist, misogynistic views in our free country. If people all stood together and made a stand against these vile monsters then maybe things would improve.

And, newsflash! Multiculturalism does not always work, people. Some cultures will never get on and never gel.

We need to grow our balls back.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:45 pm
by Tarkus
I'd like to see Le Pen get in, and vote for Frexit- because our sorry lot are seeming to drag their heels over Brexit so much that when France leaves, there soon won't be an EU left to leave.

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:47 pm
by Elessar
Tarkus wrote:I'd like to see Le Pen get in, and vote for Frexit- because our sorry lot are seeming to drag their heels over Brexit so much that when France leaves, there soon won't be an EU left to leave.


I'd rather stay in the EU because I'd rather be Team Germany than Team Nazi (never thought I'd be writing that sentence!) when the shit hits the fan!

Re: French Election 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:49 pm
by Tarkus
musicalprostitute wrote:
action wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
I would prefer the right to take over, but not the extreme right (to me the extreme right are just as laughable and evil as the extreme left - and we all know how nasty those lefties can be).


right have the power in belgium, and everything is as shitty as it always was, only difference is the companies are getting even more privileged over ordinary people.

people are being called racist as much as earlier, if not more. criminals and terrorists get low punishments, and the government is doing jack shit for our safety.


I think the trouble is that the whinging left have had us all by the balls for so long now by playing the race card, etc. every time they wish to win an argument that we have all become scared to speak the truth in some cases.

In the UK I think most of us get along quite harmoniously for most of the time (different colours, sexualities, religions), but we need to stand up and tell the Muslim extremists to fuck off: no to your Sharia law courts in our tolerant country, no to your cruel Halal shit in our animal-loving country and no to your outdated, racist, misogynistic views in our free country. If people all stood together and made a stand against these vile monsters then maybe things would improve.

And, newsflash! Multiculturalism does not always work, people. Some cultures will never get on and never gel.

We need to grow our balls back.


True that- things seem to go in cycles. Hard times make tough people- tough people sort the bad stuff out and bring good times- good times make soft people, and soft people create hard times. I think people have just gotten fed up with the powers-that-be shutting down any concerns or debates by labelling them as racists, sexists, etc. and people flocked to the banners of whomever would listen. When their concerns are addressed, most people are very tolerant indeed, as you say.