Feminazis need to shush

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Feminazis need to shush

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:24 pm

The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Roger wrote:The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.

The above is not a list. It is a grammatically incorrect sentence. The word 'between' tells us that the 'and' should definitely not have a comma before it.

We will go round in circles here. Quickest way to stop all this is for you to give me a proper example, as I have asked. And if I am wrong, I will gladly say so (like I say, I am far from infallible); but in this case I know I am absolutely spot on.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.

The above is not a list. It is a grammatically incorrect sentence. The word 'between' tells us that the 'and' should definitely not have a comma before it.

We will go round in circles here. Quickest way to stop all this is for you to give me a proper example, as I have asked. And if I am wrong, I will gladly say so (like I say, I am far from infallible); but in this case I know I am absolutely spot on.

It’s a list of two.
1) Those who are in favour blah blah
2) Those who don’t know etc.

I’ve given lots of examples that you haven’t been happy with. The comma avoids ambiguity. If the two things I was correlating were very short, there’d be no need for a comma (eg apples and oranges), but they’re fairly long clauses, so the comma helps. It’s not essential, but I think the sentence parses better with it present. If I was reading it aloud, I’d certainly leave a pause (although I accept that ‘put a comma where you’d pause’ is an imperfect rule of thumb).

That’s my final word on the matter.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Roger wrote:
It’s a list of two.
1) Those who are in favour blah blah
2) Those who don’t know etc.

I’ve given lots of examples that you haven’t been happy with. The comma avoids ambiguity. If the two things I was correlating were very short, there’d be no need for a comma (eg apples and oranges), but they’re fairly long clauses, so the comma helps. It’s not essential, but I think the sentence parses better with it present. If I was reading it aloud, I’d certainly leave a pause (although I accept that ‘put a comma where you’d pause’ is an imperfect rule of thumb).

That’s my final word on the matter.

it is not a list. It is a sentence wrongly separated by a comma. The word 'between' tells the reader that the 'and' should not have a comma before it (and one does not pause when using a word like 'between').

And, to be fair, you have only given me website links which do not have one example between them of a sentence like yours. I only asked for one example from a reputable style guide.

You are wrong here. Normally, I disagree with you, but I think - for the majority of the time - you have some knowledge in what you are arguing/discussing; but in this example you are terribly incorrect.

You will not budge. And I certainly won't when I know I am right. We shall have to leave it there then.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 am

Big news - Hans Asperger was a Nazi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43820794

It’s such hard work being so relentlessly right :sigh:

Roger wrote: It’s not even clinging to out-of-favour names such as Reiter’s syndrome, Wegener’s granulomatosis or Asperger’s (all Nazis).

(I remembered mentioning this a few weeks ago - it’s irrelevant that it was part of an argument)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

Elessar wrote:

I know, right? though for me, being right comes effortlessly

I'm in the same place. My wife tells me often I'm too smart to function in society, and she's right. I see dangers and lies everywhere. Don't ingest more than 4 dafalgan a day, it's bad for your liver. Don't eat raw salad; there could be traces of "angiostrongylus cantonensis", don't reheat spinache cos the nitrates in it turn to nitrites, don't do this, don't do that. it's driving her nuts.

So I have come up with this new rule, where I dont use my brain before 12 am. Or is it 12 pm, now I'm not sure...
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Golden slumbers fill your eyes. Smiles awake you when you rise

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I know, right? though for me, being right comes effortlessly

I'm in the same place. My wife tells me often I'm too smart to function in society, and she's right. I see dangers and lies everywhere. Don't ingest more than 4 dafalgan a day, it's bad for your liver. Don't eat raw salad; there could be traces of "angiostrongylus cantonensis", don't reheat spinache cos the nitrates in it turn to nitrites, don't do this, don't do that. it's driving her nuts.

So I have come up with this new rule, where I dont use my brain before 12 am. Or is it 12 pm, now I'm not sure...

Actually it appears you decline to use your brain on a daily basis between 00:00 and 23:59. Allegedly. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Previous

Return to Views Of The World