Feminazis need to shush

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Feminazis need to shush

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:24 pm

The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Roger wrote:The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.

The above is not a list. It is a grammatically incorrect sentence. The word 'between' tells us that the 'and' should definitely not have a comma before it.

We will go round in circles here. Quickest way to stop all this is for you to give me a proper example, as I have asked. And if I am wrong, I will gladly say so (like I say, I am far from infallible); but in this case I know I am absolutely spot on.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:The important point is that the clauses are items in a list. Items in a list don’t have to stand alone. They don’t even need to contain verbs. The comma avoids any ambiguity.

I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.

The above is not a list. It is a grammatically incorrect sentence. The word 'between' tells us that the 'and' should definitely not have a comma before it.

We will go round in circles here. Quickest way to stop all this is for you to give me a proper example, as I have asked. And if I am wrong, I will gladly say so (like I say, I am far from infallible); but in this case I know I am absolutely spot on.

It’s a list of two.
1) Those who are in favour blah blah
2) Those who don’t know etc.

I’ve given lots of examples that you haven’t been happy with. The comma avoids ambiguity. If the two things I was correlating were very short, there’d be no need for a comma (eg apples and oranges), but they’re fairly long clauses, so the comma helps. It’s not essential, but I think the sentence parses better with it present. If I was reading it aloud, I’d certainly leave a pause (although I accept that ‘put a comma where you’d pause’ is an imperfect rule of thumb).

That’s my final word on the matter.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Roger wrote:
It’s a list of two.
1) Those who are in favour blah blah
2) Those who don’t know etc.

I’ve given lots of examples that you haven’t been happy with. The comma avoids ambiguity. If the two things I was correlating were very short, there’d be no need for a comma (eg apples and oranges), but they’re fairly long clauses, so the comma helps. It’s not essential, but I think the sentence parses better with it present. If I was reading it aloud, I’d certainly leave a pause (although I accept that ‘put a comma where you’d pause’ is an imperfect rule of thumb).

That’s my final word on the matter.

it is not a list. It is a sentence wrongly separated by a comma. The word 'between' tells the reader that the 'and' should not have a comma before it (and one does not pause when using a word like 'between').

And, to be fair, you have only given me website links which do not have one example between them of a sentence like yours. I only asked for one example from a reputable style guide.

You are wrong here. Normally, I disagree with you, but I think - for the majority of the time - you have some knowledge in what you are arguing/discussing; but in this example you are terribly incorrect.

You will not budge. And I certainly won't when I know I am right. We shall have to leave it there then.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 am

Big news - Hans Asperger was a Nazi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43820794

It’s such hard work being so relentlessly right :sigh:

Roger wrote: It’s not even clinging to out-of-favour names such as Reiter’s syndrome, Wegener’s granulomatosis or Asperger’s (all Nazis).

(I remembered mentioning this a few weeks ago - it’s irrelevant that it was part of an argument)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

Elessar wrote:

I know, right? though for me, being right comes effortlessly

I'm in the same place. My wife tells me often I'm too smart to function in society, and she's right. I see dangers and lies everywhere. Don't ingest more than 4 dafalgan a day, it's bad for your liver. Don't eat raw salad; there could be traces of "angiostrongylus cantonensis", don't reheat spinache cos the nitrates in it turn to nitrites, don't do this, don't do that. it's driving her nuts.

So I have come up with this new rule, where I dont use my brain before 12 am. Or is it 12 pm, now I'm not sure...
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:

I know, right? though for me, being right comes effortlessly

I'm in the same place. My wife tells me often I'm too smart to function in society, and she's right. I see dangers and lies everywhere. Don't ingest more than 4 dafalgan a day, it's bad for your liver. Don't eat raw salad; there could be traces of "angiostrongylus cantonensis", don't reheat spinache cos the nitrates in it turn to nitrites, don't do this, don't do that. it's driving her nuts.

So I have come up with this new rule, where I dont use my brain before 12 am. Or is it 12 pm, now I'm not sure...

Actually it appears you decline to use your brain on a daily basis between 00:00 and 23:59. Allegedly. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Fri May 11, 2018 9:52 pm

So.

There's a bit of a Twitter war going on at the moment between two fairly prominent Twitter doctors, one of whom is Dr Christian Jessen (that bloke off TV), and an army of mostly women, over the issue of transgender rights. The main issue seems to be the old argument about which toilets transgenders should use, but it's got to the point where this army is putting together a dossier to send to the GMC, because they're so disgusted by the views of these two docs who feel that transgender women should be allowed to use the women's toilets - they feel that these views are sexist, misogynistic, endorse rape, etc.

Anyway. My reason for posting...

While I still don't think anyone who hasn't been complicit in the slaughter of several million people should be called a Nazi, it is clear that there are some pretty unpleasant factions within the feminist movement. And many of them get particularly angry when white men (usually gay white men, for some reason) disagree with them. They HATE Owen Jones.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 am

Elessar wrote:So.

There's a bit of a Twitter war going on at the moment between two fairly prominent Twitter doctors, one of whom is Dr Christian Jessen (that bloke off TV), and an army of mostly women, over the issue of transgender rights. The main issue seems to be the old argument about which toilets transgenders should use, but it's got to the point where this army is putting together a dossier to send to the GMC, because they're so disgusted by the views of these two docs who feel that transgender women should be allowed to use the women's toilets - they feel that these views are sexist, misogynistic, endorse rape, etc.

Anyway. My reason for posting...

While I still don't think anyone who hasn't been complicit in the slaughter of several million people should be called a Nazi, it is clear that there are some pretty unpleasant factions within the feminist movement. And many of them get particularly angry when white men (usually gay white men, for some reason) disagree with them. They HATE Owen Jones.

they are, as I like to call it, triggered.

they are not nazis, but nonetheless, they are so hysterical / curious that I feel a word is needed to address these people. Not to demean them, but for good understanding.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sat May 12, 2018 8:15 am

On one hand I sympathise with them - if the women’s toilets is a safe haven from men, the idea of people who were born as men being allowed in may understandably be quite distressing.

But they argue with absolutely no compassion whatsoever for one of the most vulnerable groups in society.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm

on the topic of male feminists. they appear weird to me. those who shout the loudest, are the most suspect.

take the neogaf site. the owner was a very outspoken male feminst, banning everyone and everything even remotely sexist. Turns out he was a woman abuser and was the subject of sexual allegations. he went on to ban every criticism on his board, in order to protect him, as he is a coward.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/24/1653 ... yler-malka

so that's my problem with male feminists. of course, I'm all in favour of equal gender rights. many people are. But people like that scumbag, who are white knights and very outspoken, should be treated with a healthy amount of suspicion. also, he is not the only male feminist that was subject of sexual allegations either.

they are white knights on a message board , but they are absolute scumbags in real life. it's almost as if they think they can "undo" some of their horrible actions, by white knighting on the internet. cleaning their conscious? my conscious is clear, crystal clear.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Sat May 12, 2018 1:56 pm

https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Tyler_Malka

lol, that's a great article about male feminists

they even make the link with "incels"

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat May 12, 2018 3:48 pm

action wrote:https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Tyler_Malka

So it's one guy who claims to be a feminist, but if the article is to be believed, really ain't. I wouldn't call that a link between male feminists and incels. I've had experiences with those "incels," they're pretty much the most antifeminist guys out there, maybe even a little more so than the worst of those "MRA" guys.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Sat May 12, 2018 4:17 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
action wrote:https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Tyler_Malka

So it's one guy who claims to be a feminist, but if the article is to be believed, really ain't. I wouldn't call that a link between male feminists and incels. I've had experiences with those "incels," they're pretty much the most antifeminist guys out there, maybe even a little more so than the worst of those "MRA" guys.

the issue is, they are male feminists, but only as an act, in order to get women to sleep with them.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Sat May 12, 2018 5:22 pm

action wrote:
The__KingOfRhye wrote:

the issue is, they are male feminists, but only as an act, in order to get women to sleep with them.

Ha, those people certainly do exist, and tend to be pretty well loathed by the more switched-on people who realise their game.

The other phenomenon is 'virtue-signalling', which exists across the entire political spectrum.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World