Atheism...

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm

sacko wrote:
Roger wrote:This article is worth a read:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-men-are ... -big-deal/

It’s about rape culture and why rape and sexual assault are so prevalent. I don’t think I agree with every single word - I think he overstates the role of religion, although it’s an interesting point and it vaguely ties in with this thread’s topic - but by and large he speaks a lot of sense.

And it’ll make some people froth at the mouth, which is fun.

seems an obvious SJW article. i know for a fact that certain women like men to take the first step and to be a bit... persistent. the thing is, feminists have various social media at their disposal, where they can spout their feminist crap. A small group, but vocal nonetheless. they do not speak for the entire female population. they are bitter, since there are no men interested in ugly women like them.

my wife told me "if i hadnt kissed you, we would still not be together". she's a strong character indeed, and i'm a boring nerd. lesson learned: women like men to take the initiative.

Rape statistics suggest that a lot of men don’t know how to take the initiative appropriately..

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm

sacko wrote:
what did you say in your other post? i'm still angry and i'm not done yet :mad:

You would be even angrier if you saw it. Still, you're funny when you're angry. ;)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

You realise that terms like SJW, libtard and leftie are the 21st century version of nigger-lover, right?

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:17 pm

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm

sacko wrote:
Roger wrote:You realise that terms like SJW, libtard and leftie are the 21st century version of nigger-lover, right?

what term would you prefer? (not trolling)

I don’t think any term is necessary. These terms are used to dismiss people when they make good points. “Typical leftie/libtard/SJW” is far easier to say than formulating an actual response to the argument. Not only is it easy to do, it also generates a positive response from people who share your views, and is likely to frustrate and annoy the person you’re arguing with, who has seen their well-reasoned point dismissed with a puerile label.

The other effect it has is it flushes out those who want to stand up for others but don’t particularly want to put themselves in the firing line. The bullies know this. They know that if they present someone with the choice between backing off and letting the injustice continue, or becoming the target of said injustice, many will choose the easier life.

In short, come up with an actual response instead of a flippant dismissal. This is well beyond some people but I don’t think it’s beyond you.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:28 pm

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

“Scout," said Atticus, "nigger-lover is just one of those terms that don't mean anything—like snot-nose. It's hard to explain—ignorant, trashy people use it when they think somebody's favoring Negroes over and above themselves. It's slipped into usage with some people like ourselves, when they want a common, ugly term to label somebody."

"You aren't really a nigger-lover, then, are you?"

"I certainly am. I do my best to love everybody... I'm hard put, sometimes—baby, it's never an insult to be called what somebody thinks is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn't hurt you."

- To Kill A Mockingbird

The passage works if you replace ‘nigger-lover’ with ‘SJW’.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Also this handy guide, which I kind of wish I’d read months ago:

http://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/mg9pv ... -explained

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:50 pm

The internet seems so to suggest that that ‘SJW’ is usually associated with feminism - I don’t think that’s my perception, but then most if not all of my internet fighting takes place here.

I agree that at face value ‘SJW’ shouldn’t be an insulting term. But when you first used the term in this thread, it was to dismiss an article, which is kind of the point I was making.

Thing is, I think we’re probably mostly better than we were 60 years ago, but that doesn’t mean we should rest on our laurels and pretend we can’t do better.

I saw a Twitter exchange the other day. Someone who would probably be labelled a ‘leftie’ or ‘SJW’ was criticising trophy hunters. This was in the context of Trump’s brief reversal of the import ban on animal trophies. They made some comment about these trophy hunters killing innocent animals to make up for their tiny penises. At first glance that’s a perfectly normal, very common insult, and seems completely fair. But then another poster, who is fairly outspoken on feminism issues, made the point that penis size has absolutely nothing to do with it, and that there are lots of wonderful men with tiny penises who don’t deserve to be compared to these cruel bastards. The point was made that using ‘tiny penis’ as an insult fuels toxic masculinity.

I’d never thought of that before, but it really is an excellent point. I wouldn’t for a moment advocate never making dick size jokes ever again of course, but maybe when we criticise Trump we shouldn’t talk about how his small hands probably mean he’s got a small cock.

I brought that story up because another trend I’ve seen here from time to time is labelling ‘libtards’/‘SJWs’ as ‘pussies’ or ‘little girls’. Let’s be better than the worst of our kind.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 pm

sacko wrote:i use the term for convenience reasons. there is no reason to be offended. SJW means "social justice warrior". why would that be bad thing?

You've only used it in a negative way yourself. You only use the term to point out something you don't like. I don't think there's anything offensive about the WORDS themselves, or any words really, it's all in the way they're used, the sentiment behind them.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby sebastian » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Roger wrote:Thing is, I think we’re probably mostly better than we were 60 years ago, but that doesn’t mean we should rest on our laurels and pretend we can’t do better.

Totally agreed.

Roger wrote:I brought that story up because another trend I’ve seen here from time to time is labelling ‘libtards’/‘SJWs’ as ‘pussies’ or ‘little girls’. Let’s be better than the worst of our kind.

I suppose 'SJW' and 'snowflake' and other terms are becoming the new 'Hitler' for anytime people either run out of arguments or want to ridicule the other side (which often happens when they run out of arguments anyway) rather than discuss the topic at hand. Another term there is 'radical,' which tends to pop up a lot recently and people see it as some sort of ace up their sleeve that automatically makes them 'win' the argument.

A friend of mine, who is an atheist, loves religious-inspired music such as Mozart's 'Requiem' (which is musically really beautiful indeed) and is currently engaged with a believer, hoping to tie the knot in a Catholic ceremony next year. He goes to church twice a year with his mum just to avoid an unnecessary row. So far so good, and I wouldn't do any of those things but I wouldn't condemn them either - but it's interesting that he referred to me (and anybody who wouldn't indulge their mum or their fiancée) as 'a radical atheist' - again, the sentiment behind the use of the term was far from positive - as a way to distance himself from me/us and look like, for lack of a better term, a 'god' of compromisation.

That's where I see an unfair B/W scenario: apparently, everybody who dares disagreeing with you (even if they're not actively trying to persuade you to change your stance) is either 'radical' or 'a snowflake' or 'Hitler' and that, if anything, is being exactly what people are accusing others of being.

Personally, I'd accept the term 'radical atheist' if I decided never to speak to a faithful person, if I demanded every time I donated blood it had to go to an atheist or if I instructed my organs to be donated only to atheist individuals after my demise, or to anybody who wouldn't thank their deity for said organs (which would, in other words, translate as thanking their deity for allegedly having killed me so they could live longer). I'd be a 'radical atheist' (and a criminal one) if I moved on to actual physical violence, or to vandalism, against religious individuals or temples or personal property (e.g. keying cars with religious stickers).

But I don't do and won't do any of those, so I'm not really 'radical' as much as I'm just 'firm.' Some fellow atheists are happy to sing Christmas Carols, and fair play to them, I'm not criticising. But I'm just as entitled not to sing them as they are to do so, and neither choice is 'radical' or turns the person making it a 'snowflake' or 'Hitler'.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby sacko » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 am

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 am

sacko wrote:
it would be a better world for sure, if everyone refrained from using put-downs like the one you mentioned.

likewise, the term "racist" has been bandied around a lot on here.

let me make a suggestion. why don't you and me start a pact, and we highlight everytime a derogatory term is used to automatically win an argument. SJW, snowflake, racist, nazi: all of those.

deal?

I can happily agree to that, and can do so very easily.

If you were to read all the posts I’ve ever made (which I don’t recommend!), you’d be amazed at how infrequently I’ve ‘played the race card’. My by own count I think I’ve called someone racist twice in 14 years. You’ll read plenty of posts accusing me of doing it more often (“every 5 minutes” was once suggested, which seems fanciful at best), but you certainly won’t find any evidence to back up such claims.

Roger
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World