Atheism...

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Atheism...

Postby sacko » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 215
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 am

sacko wrote:
Roger wrote:
sacko wrote:
it would be a better world for sure, if everyone refrained from using put-downs like the one you mentioned.

likewise, the term "racist" has been bandied around a lot on here.

let me make a suggestion. why don't you and me start a pact, and we highlight everytime a derogatory term is used to automatically win an argument. SJW, snowflake, racist, nazi: all of those.

deal?


I can happily agree to that, and can do so very easily.

If you were to read all the posts I’ve ever made (which I don’t recommend!), you’d be amazed at how infrequently I’ve ‘played the race card’. My by own count I think I’ve called someone racist twice in 14 years. You’ll read plenty of posts accusing me of doing it more often (“every 5 minutes” was once suggested, which seems fanciful at best), but you certainly won’t find any evidence to back up such claims.


then i feel, there won't be many problems down the road

you'll understand, of course, i'll have to bookmark this page for future reference. just a routine measure. i'm sure i wont need it. for the file.


Just to be clear - we’re talking about calling a poster racist, right? Not describing the content of a post, or a position or opinion? Likewise it’s probably fair game to call Hitler a Nazi, know what I mean?
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby sacko » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 215
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am

sacko wrote:
Roger wrote:Just to be clear - we’re talking about calling a poster racist, right? Not describing the content of a post, or a position or opinion? Likewise it’s probably fair game to call Hitler a Nazi, know what I mean?


i would have preferred the terms would never be used, but if you insist.

see, how agreeable i am? i'm not the worst of character.

so we can call an opinion SJW / racist, but not the poster. am i correct?


I’m not sure about the grammar of that, but I’m ok with the principle.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby sacko » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 215
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby julymorning » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 am

Members on this board seem to have a terrible time understanding me. Maybe I should simplify my point.

It's a big waste of time discussing/debating/arguing theocratic issues (anything related to god/God/beliefs.)

My point was it's a waste of time because no one here is going to change anyone else's mind, unless they're six years old mentally. BECAUSE it doesn't work that way. Oh, and if it does, then your mind set couldn't be very deep.

If you enjoy this kind of banter just for the sake of ....I don't know....stirring the pot? Riling people's sensitivities so you can tell them they shouldn't have any? Good job.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1577
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby sebastian » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 pm

On the contrary, it's a sign of admirable maturity to be able to change your perspective once confronted with evidence. It takes a lot more wisdom to admit you'd been wrong than to stubbornly keep living a lie lest just to save face.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:33 pm

sebastian wrote:On the contrary, it's a sign of admirable maturity to be able to change your perspective once confronted with evidence. It takes a lot more wisdom to admit you'd been wrong than to stubbornly keep living a lie lest just to save face.


Absolutely right.

Although people tend to be far more likely to change their minds about something if they’ve sought out the evidence themselves, rather than have it thrust upon them. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 pm

What are you two saying? You are right and those of us who believe are wrong but don't have the guts to admit it? OMG. :lol: :lol: WRONG. That takes a lot of damn gaul to accuse someone of that, that way. Shame on you both if that's what you really feel.
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief
 
Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 10101
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 470 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby JLP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 am

Innuendoes wrote:What are you two saying? You are right and those of us who believe are wrong but don't have the guts to admit it? OMG. :lol: :lol: WRONG. That takes a lot of damn gaul to accuse someone of that, that way. Shame on you both if that's what you really feel.


You can believe what you want. We can say that you are wrong. If there is a God, please tell me why he allows his followers to commit atrocities in his name. Be that whatever name his followers call him.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 am

Innuendoes wrote:What are you two saying?


Well, what sebastian is saying is this:

sebastian wrote:On the contrary, it's a sign of admirable maturity to be able to change your perspective once confronted with evidence. It takes a lot more wisdom to admit you'd been wrong than to stubbornly keep living a lie lest just to save face.



And what I’m saying is this:

Roger wrote:Absolutely right.

Although people tend to be far more likely to change their minds about something if they’ve sought out the evidence themselves, rather than have it thrust upon them. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...



And what neither of us are saying is this:

Neither sebastian nor Roger wrote:You We are right and those of us you who believe are wrong but don't have the guts to admit it?.



I hope that’s very clear.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42199200

No because what if they want a McDonald’s? :(
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby sacko » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 215
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby JLP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 am

sacko wrote:
Roger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42199200

No because what if they want a McDonald’s? :(


she's wearing a hijab! get her! :mad:

(i seriously hope JLP gets i'm joking)


If only you were.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Atheism...

Postby sacko » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 215
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests