"Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

"Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

Postby Dusty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 am

Link to article

Huffington Post wrote:Last night, Bloomberg News reported that NewsCorp gave $1,000,000 to the Republican Governors Association, making them the organizations largest single contributor.

This would explain the extreme right-wing bias of Fox news, and how they have managed to cynically manipulate news stories to fuel right-wing anger throughout the media and across the USA. A case in point:

Justin Elliott wrote:How the "ground zero mosque" fear mongering began
By Justin Elliott

A group of progressive Muslim-Americans plans to build an Islamic community center two and a half blocks from ground zero in lower Manhattan. They have had a mosque in the same neighborhood for many years. There's another mosque two blocks away from the site. City officials support the project. Muslims have been praying at the Pentagon, the other building hit on Sept. 11, for many years.

In short, there is no good reason that the Cordoba House project should have been a major national news story, let alone controversy. And yet it has become just that, dominating the political conversation for weeks and prompting such a backlash that, according to a new poll, nearly 7 in 10 Americans now say they oppose the project. How did the Cordoba House become so toxic, so fast?

In a story last week, the New York Times, which framed the project in a largely positive, noncontroversial light last December, argued that it was cursed from the start by "public relations missteps." But this isn't accurate. To a remarkable extent, a Salon review of the origins of the story found, the controversy was kicked up and driven by Pamela Geller, a right-wing, viciously anti-Muslim, conspiracy-mongering blogger, whose sinister portrayal of the project was embraced by Rupert Murdoch's New York Post.

Here's a timeline of how it all happened:

•Dec. 8, 2009: The Times publishes a lengthy front-page look at the Cordoba project. "We want to push back against the extremists," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the lead organizer, is quoted as saying. Two Jewish leaders and two city officials, including the mayor's office, say they support the idea, as does the mother of a man killed on 9/11. An FBI spokesman says the imam has worked with the bureau. Besides a few third-tier right-wing blogs, including Pamela Geller's Atlas Shrugs site, no one much notices the Times story.

•Dec. 21, 2009: Conservative media personality Laura Ingraham interviews Abdul Rauf's wife, Daisy Khan, while guest-hosting "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox. In hindsight, the segment is remarkable for its cordiality. "I can't find many people who really have a problem with it," Ingraham says of the Cordoba project, adding at the end of the interview, "I like what you're trying to do."

•(This segment also includes onscreen the first use that we've seen of the misnomer "ground zero mosque.") After the segment — and despite the front-page Times story — there were no news articles on the mosque for five and a half months, according to a search of the Nexis newspaper archive.

•May 6, 2010: After a unanimous vote by a New York City community board committee to approve the project, the AP runs a story. It quotes relatives of 9/11 victims (called by the reporter), who offer differing opinions. The New York Post, meanwhile, runs a story under the inaccurate headline, "Panel Approves 'WTC' Mosque." Geller is less subtle, titling her post that day, "Monster Mosque Pushes Ahead in Shadow of World Trade Center Islamic Death and Destruction." She writes on her Atlas Shrugs blog, "This is Islamic domination and expansionism. The location is no accident. Just as Al-Aqsa was built on top of the Temple in Jerusalem." (To get an idea of where Geller is coming from, she once suggested that Malcolm X was Obama's real father. Seriously.)

•May 7, 2010: Geller's group, Stop Islamization of America (SIOA), launches "Campaign Offensive: Stop the 911 Mosque!" (SIOA 's associate director is Robert Spencer, who makes his living writing and speaking about the evils of Islam.) Geller posts the names and contact information for the mayor and members of the community board, encouraging people to write. The board chair later reports getting "hundreds and hundreds" of calls and e-mails from around the world.

•May 8, 2010: Geller announces SIOA's first protest against what she calls the "911 monster mosque" for May 29. She and Spencer and several other members of the professional anti-Islam industry will attend. (She also says that the protest will mark the dark day of "May 29, 1453, [when] the Ottoman forces led by the Sultan Mehmet II broke through the Byzantine defenses against the Muslim siege of Constantinople." The outrage-peddling New York Post columnist Andrea Peyser argues in a note at the end of her column a couple of days later that "there are better places to put a mosque."

•May 13, 2010: Peyser follows up with an entire column devoted to "Mosque Madness at Ground Zero." This is a significant moment in the development of the "ground zero mosque" narrative: It's the first newspaper article that frames the project as inherently wrong and suspect, in the way that Geller has been framing it for months. Peyser in fact quotes Geller at length and promotes the anti-mosque protest of Stop Islamization of America, which Peyser describes as a "human-rights group." Peyser also reports — falsely — that Cordoba House's opening date will be Sept. 11, 2011.

Lots of opinion makers on the right read the Post, so it's not surprising that, starting that very day, the mosque story spread through the conservative — and then mainstream — media like fire through dry grass. Geller appeared on Sean Hannity's radio show. The Washington Examiner ran an outraged column about honoring the 9/11 dead. So did Investor's Business Daily. Smelling blood, the Post assigned news reporters to cover the ins and outs of the Cordoba House development daily. Fox News, the Post's television sibling, went all out.

Within a month, Rudy Giuliani had called the mosque a "desecration." Within another month, Sarah Palin had tweeted her famous "peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate" tweet. Peter King and Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty followed suit — with political reporters and television news programs dutifully covering "both sides" of the controversy.

Geller had succeeded beyond her wildest dreams.

Justin Elliott is a Salon reporter. Reach him by email at jelliott@salon.com and follow him on Twitter @ElliottJustin More Justin Elliott

Link to original article

More links to show the motives of Pamela Geller

Dusty

Re: "Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

Postby lord of all darkness » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:11 am

No suprise there. Murdoch did it during the Uk election. Now his Australian newspapers are trying their hardest to get the right wing Liberal/National coalition elected this weekend. That man has too much power. Then again he's the king of the tits after all.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby JLP » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:17 am

lord of all darkness wrote:No suprise there. Murdoch did it during the Uk election. Now his Australian newspapers are trying their hardest to get the right wing Liberal/National coalition elected this weekend. That man has too much power. Then again he's the king of the tits after all.

You are right load. In 1997, once the Sun got behind New Labour, the election was as good as in the bag. More or less the same this time around.and despite several broken promises, there is hardly a word of criticism of the coalition.

To be honest the whole of the press is the same. I have just read an article about Blair donating his advance and royalties from his forthcoming memoirs to the British Legion, a sum approaching some £5 million. The press are now claiming he will be able to claim tax relief on the donation. Bastards.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Zappanalé » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 am

Murdoch being a cunt is hardly news anymore.

At least, with new news outlets starting up, mostly through the internet, every day, his stronghold on print media will become less and less relevant.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Dusty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:34 am

Looking at the Spanish city of Cordoba, it seems to have a rather chequered history. First built under Roman Christian rule, it was then overthrown by the Visigoths, then later reconquered by the Christians before being invaded by the Moors when the Ottoman empire dominated Mediterranean Europe. The main palace, the Alcazar, was an Islamic palace, which later had a Christian church built slap in the middle, and then became the HQ of the Spanish Inquisition. (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!) The great mosque is now a Catholic church called The Cathedral Of Our Lady Of The Assumption.

Based on that, I think the name Cordoba was chosen to reflect the various different cultures that the centre is hoped to build a bridge between, just as Cordoba was a crossroads for Christian, Muslim and Visigoth culture in years gone by. Cordoba in Spain has more of a link with Christianity and the inquisition than it does with Islam, in all honesty, and as a symbol of conquest, Cordoba was more symbolic of the Christians conquering the Visigoths than it was the Muslims invading Europe. It's only in the current climate that people tend to think of symbols of islamic conquest, and I suspect the media have much to answer for with that as well.

Dusty

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 am

Its no surprise for sure.
Convincing Fox News loyal audience its a problem is where things get frustrating though.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Ace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 pm

I think the issue I have with Geller is that she looks upon Islam as an "outside" religion, one that is not practiced by Americans. This in effect then suggests that those practising the Islamic faith are themselves not American. And yet these Muslims are American, as American as she is. Disenfranchising large parts of the population by implying that they are in someway less American because they worship a different religion and whose ancestors arrived later than yours is bound to create a feeling of resentment.

Both Christianity and Judiasm came originally from the Middle East, as does Islam. Why can she accept the former and not the latter? I suspect its because she cant accept the newly arrived immigrants as being American. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not they denounce extremism, they are not American and should not build their mosques in America.

As WF's post points out, the original project seemed ok. It is people like Geller, and then the media, that have made this an issue, whipping up feelings against the project and distorting the project to get people on-side in their campaign. But ask yourself this. Would you support Geller's argument if you had to support her underlying reasons?

If it were simply a case of a Mosque being built on ground zero then I agree, it would be disrespectful to many many people. But thats not the plan, nor was it ever the plan. Geller, and her type, have succeeded in bringing out the worst in people. The stereotyping, the irrational fear or other cultures and in some cases bigotry.

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby Princess of Taylor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:17 pm

As bad as I think Fox News is (and believe me, I think they're total nonsense), I think the other media organizations are just as much to blame. It would be one thing if O'Reilly/Beck/Palin/whatever other wackos they have on payroll over there were spouting their insanity off to the Fox News viewing population only, but the bigger problem is that then the bigger media (who claims to be legitimate) takes these outlier positions and turns them into a valid counterpoint that deserves debate.

If CNN et all would just ignore Fox News, none of this would be as big of an issue as it really is, but they don't. They hold "roundtables" with one normal person and one person touting the Fox agenda, suggesting that the two viewpoints are equally valid. I'm sorry, they simply aren't.

This is 2010. We shouldn't be debating evolution or whether our president was born in the U.S. Facts are being fought with fantasy and the rest of the media is playing right along with it.

And with regards to the donation to the Republican Gubernatorial Committee, now that corporations have the same constitutional rights as people (thanks to our good old Supreme Court), frankly I won't be shocked if more of this continues to happen, especially leading up to the midterm elections in November, on both sides of the aisle.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:53 pm

You make a good point PofT. But they all have one thing in common and that is ratings. Its always all about the ratings. A roundtable about the President's birth certificate grabs higher ratings than policy discussions.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Anyone can find the "proof" of the topic they want to present, and "win their argument", if they look for it. Doesn't matter if it's pro or con. If you look for it, you will find it, if it's right or wrong, it will still be there somewhere.
Yeah, I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
The moon has gone behind the cloud again
And I can't stand to live another day
'Cause my bluebird went away

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Which if you aren't prepared to believe the evidence on those grounds, is a very, very good argument for not making an absolute decision on what exactly happened.

Media manipulations is not exactly a shocker though.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Which if you aren't prepared to believe the evidence on those grounds, is a very, very good argument for not making an absolute decision on what exactly happened.

Media manipulations is not exactly a shocker though.

I listen to the people whose families were hurt or killed in these situations, not some reporter. I see the pain on their faces and the hurt in their voices. I also go by what I witness, myself. Actual deeds, not some TV news cast and certainly not Fox news.

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I listen to the people whose families were hurt or killed in these situations, not some reporter. I see the pain on their faces and the hurt in their voices. I also go by what I witness, myself. Actual deeds, not some TV news cast and certainly not Fox news.

Some, of the families who may, or may not have been given real information, all evidence suggesting not, and deeds of certain individuals.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:I listen to the people whose families were hurt or killed in these situations, not some reporter. I see the pain on their faces and the hurt in their voices. I also go by what I witness, myself. Actual deeds, not some TV news cast and certainly not Fox news.

Some, of the families who may, or may not have been given real information, all evidence suggesting not, and deeds of certain individuals.

Wait. I am talking about families whose family members died. And you think they may have been given false information about their family member being killed/dead?

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Wait. I am talking about families whose family members died. And you think they may have been given false information about their family member being killed/dead?

No, about the "Ground zero mosque".

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Views Of The World