"Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: "Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

Postby Delilah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 am

Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:Apparently 18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim according to a recent poll. :shock:

I think what's more worrying than the ignorance of those 18% is the underlying implication that him being a Muslim would be a bad thing, as opposed to a complete irrelevance.

I would never dispute that at least 18% of Americans are complete and utter dumbasses.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 am

Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Those immigrants whom we descend from didn't attempt to overthrow anything in America, nor did they run around bombing or blowing themselves up.

My good friend, Michael, who is Native American would be very disgusted to read this post, sorry to say, as would all my part Native friends. Michael calls the majority of the US, wannabes. Hahaha.

Those immigrants that we descended from DID overthrow their government to form America. And yes indeed, commit genocide against the native population. Which I am also descended from, btw. Strongly descended from on both sides of my family. So I guess I'm a part Native person who just typed all that up.

Slovak immigrants didn't overthrow Slovakia. They ran from it as fast as they could, if they could get away from Franz Jozef's army. Same with Hungarian immigrants, Polish, Russian, Ukranian, et al. They never had an agenda to change the US. They desperately desired to fit in and become one of "us". Not blow up buildings and blow themselves up to make statements or kill other people. It was a totally different time in history of all countries involved.

And the Revolution wasn't caused by our ancestors trying to overthrow anything, per se, either. The ones that wanted it that way (the Loyalists) were killed during the war, for the most part. We don't descend from them, we descend from the people that had the guts to say no and take up arms to stop being ruled and have no say in anything they did or how much tax they were forced to pay. Don't forget, "No Taxation Without Representation". It wasn't the situation that set off the war but it had a lot to do with it. Lord Dunmore's War was the first fight that led into the Revolution, most likely caused by one Jacob DeWitt who killed all of one of the most noble chief's family and set off the battle at Point Pleasant.

People had come here to escape being ruled, not to take over. Those were the original people who came here and they got on well with the Native Americans of the North East who helped them greatly. It did happen that the Native Americans were horribly taken over by those white man that did come into Kentucky, Tennessee and then out west and those that caused all the 5 Civilized tribes to move on the Trail Of Tears. I know you are part NA. Michael is Seminole, Creek and Cherokee and nothing else. His skin is as dark as Henry Garza's.

Innuendoes

Postby Delilah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Slovak immigrants didn't overthrow Slovakia. They ran from it as fast as they could, if they could get away from Franz Jozef's army. Same with Hungarian immigrants, Polish, Russian, Ukranian, et al. They never had an agenda to change the US. They desperately desired to fit in and become one of "us". Not blow up buildings and blow themselves up to make statements or kill other people. It was a totally different time in history of all countries involved.

And the Revolution wasn't caused by our ancestors trying to overthrow anything, per se, either. The ones that wanted it that way (the Loyalists) were killed during the war, for the most part. We don't descend from them, we descend from the people that had the guts to say no and take up arms to stop being ruled and have no say in anything they did or how much tax they were forced to pay. Don't forget, "No Taxation Without Representation". It wasn't the situation that set off the war but it had a lot to do with it. Lord Dunmore's War was the first fight that led into the Revolution, most likely caused by one Jacob DeWitt who killed all of one of the most noble chief's family and set off the battle at Point Pleasant.

People had come here to escape being ruled, not to take over. Those were the original people who came here and they got on well with the Native Americans of the North East who helped them greatly. It did happen that the Native Americans were horribly taken over by those white man that did come into Kentucky, Tennessee and then out west and those that caused all the 5 Civilized tribes to move on the Trail Of Tears. I know you are part NA. Michael is Seminole, Creek and Cherokee and nothing else. His skin is as dark as Henry Garza's.

Wait a second...are you saying that Muslim immigrants are here to destroy America?

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Princess of Taylor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Yes, Innuendoes, please elaborate on your point. I've read your last few posts a few times and surely you can't be suggesting that the majority of Muslims in the U.S. intent on overthrowing the government.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:56 pm

How many Americans have died in the USA at the hands of Muslim terrorists post 9/11? The way some go on you would think it was thousands upon thousands.

How many Muslim civilians have died at the hands of Americans in Iraq post 9/11? That is many thousands.

Sorry Inny but when you infer that Muslims are in the USA purely to blow up buildings and kill innocent people you are really talking rubbish.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I know Brian likes foxes, but that doesn't mean QOL should turn into Fox.

Elessar

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Saw an interview with Howard Dean last night. He made some good points, if I find it I'll post it. He did say though that they are changing the name.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Dusty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Those immigrants whom we descend from didn't attempt to overthrow anything in America, nor did they run around bombing or blowing themselves up.

My good friend, Michael, who is Native American would be very disgusted to read this post, sorry to say, as would all my part Native friends. Michael calls the majority of the US, wannabes. Hahaha.

The majority of immigrants that modern Americans descended from did attempt to overthrow their government, back in 1776. Their government was the British one, and they waged a war, which included acts that would be considered in modern terms as terrorism, to achieve their aim. The proposed building to replace the WTC, which IIRC is to be called 'Freedom Tower', is to be a symbol of that, and the symbolism will be inherent in the height of the building, 1776 ft high. We could, if we so wished, take offence at that, but we don't. Instead we appreciate the delicious irony that some of you are so prepared to believe any old crap pedalled by Murdoch and Geller that suggests some kind of similar symbolism is supposed to be present within the Cordoba centre- which looks like not being built anyway.

Oh, edited to add- isn't the cover of the latest Time magazine just delicious?

Dusty

Postby JLP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Of course, no one would deny that 9/11 was anything but an horrific, world changing event. It is one of the few instances in my life where I can say exactly where I was when I first heard that something was happening. I can even remember the name of the person who told me that planes had crashed into the WTC.

But to label and/or stereotype a whole culture because of the actions of a handful of maniacs really is stretching things to the limit.

It would be akin to saying that every white person who lives in the southern states of the USA is a racist because, in the past, black people were lynched by a few mindless bigots.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Princess of Taylor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 pm

JLP wrote:Of course, no one would deny that 9/11 was anything but an horrific, world changing event. It is one of the few instances in my life where I can say exactly where I was when I first heard that something was happening. I can even remember the name of the person who told me that planes had crashed into the WTC.

But to label and/or stereotype a whole culture because of the actions of a handful of maniacs really is stretching things to the limit.

It would be akin to saying that every white person who lives in the southern states of the USA is a racist because, in the past, black people were lynched by a few mindless bigots.

Same here, JLP. Actually I always thought it was rather spooky because I distinctly remember on September 10, 2001 having a conversation with some friends that our generation didn't have that one defining event that everyone remembered where they were: JFK being shot, the moon landing, to a certain extent we had the Challenger explosion but we were awfully young.

Then the next morning, my boyfriend at the time called me and said, "Come outside, something's going on." On one hand I remember that day like it was yesterday and on another hand it seems like a lifetime ago. One thing that is very odd though is that of all the emotions I remember feeling that day, fear wasn't one of them when I'm quite certain it had to have been. My brain must have blocked that part out because just thinking about being stranded on that little island amist all that chaos is terrifying nine years later.

But I absolutely agree that to hold all Muslims responsible for 9/11 is just uninformed and offensive. Like I said before, we were all in that city together, scared out of our minds about what was going to happen next, and guess what, there were thousands of Muslims among us feeling exactly the same way.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't know which one of you to answer first. Each and every single one of you have misconstrued and misunderstood everything I said.

I don't read Time Magazine, Newsweek or ANY magazine. I can't afford it!!!!

I also don't watch the news on TV. News isn't allowed in this house!

And, no, no, no, a thousand times NO, I am not saying Muslims are here to overthrow and/or overtake the USA.

Dusty, don't talk to me about the US Revolution. I have done far enough reading about it to make your head spin. I am a direct descendant of at least 12 men who fought in that war and I have read more county and state history books for each area and state, more muster lists and more local histories than you will ever lay your hands on.

Innuendoes

Postby Dusty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 pm

And? One of my ancestors was a Major in the 39th Iowa infantry during the Civil war, and another fought for the Confederacy. You were claiming that Americans had never fought to overthrow a government or way of life, and I was pointing out that they had, which is why they could call themselves American.

Dusty

Postby JLP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm

[quote="Innuendoes"]

And, no, no, no, a thousand times NO, I am not saying Muslims are here to overthrow and/or overtake the USA.

{quote]

So what exactly did you mean by stating that Slovakians did not go to the USA to overthrow the government or to blow up buildings? To me that statement clearly infers that another group of people do just that. If it ain't Muslims you were referring to, what group of people were you referring to?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Princess of Taylor wrote:
JLP wrote:Of course, no one would deny that 9/11 was anything but an horrific, world changing event. It is one of the few instances in my life where I can say exactly where I was when I first heard that something was happening. I can even remember the name of the person who told me that planes had crashed into the WTC.

Same here, JLP. Actually I always thought it was rather spooky because I distinctly remember on September 10, 2001 having a conversation with some friends that our generation didn't have that one defining event that everyone remembered where they were: JFK being shot, the moon landing, to a certain extent we had the Challenger explosion but we were awfully young.

Then the next morning, my boyfriend at the time called me and said, "Come outside, something's going on." On one hand I remember that day like it was yesterday and on another hand it seems like a lifetime ago. One thing that is very odd though is that of all the emotions I remember feeling that day, fear wasn't one of them when I'm quite certain it had to have been. My brain must have blocked that part out because just thinking about being stranded on that little island amist all that chaos is terrifying nine years later.

But I absolutely agree that to hold all Muslims responsible for 9/11 is just uninformed and offensive. Like I said before, we were all in that city together, scared out of our minds about what was going to happen next, and guess what, there were thousands of Muslims among us feeling exactly the same way.

Isn't it weird what we all remember from that day, and that week for that matter?! My memory of the weather alone is so vivid.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Broooklyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I also don't watch the news on TV. News isn't allowed in this house!

Oh will you stop with this kind of stuff. You supposedly finally get away from your crazy husband, and what...land in someone else's home who is just as insane? Come on now.

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World