"Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: "Dear Mr. Murdoch..." the media manipulation of the US.

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:23 am

Greywoolfe wrote:And? One of my ancestors was a Major in the 39th Iowa infantry during the Civil war, and another fought for the Confederacy. You were claiming that Americans had never fought to overthrow a government or way of life, and I was pointing out that they had, which is why they could call themselves American.

The Civil War? That was over 160 years AFTER the Revolution and had nothing to do with the UK. It was a civil war!

Incidently, the Confederacy was pro slavery and was fighting to break free of the north so that they could keep their slaves, for one thing...

We weren't "Americans" during the Revolution. Not until we broke free of the UK.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 am

JLP wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
And, no, no, no, a thousand times NO, I am not saying Muslims are here to overthrow and/or overtake the USA.
So what exactly did you mean by stating that Slovakians did not go to the USA to overthrow the government or to blow up buildings? To me that statement clearly infers that another group of people do just that. If it ain't Muslims you were referring to, what group of people were you referring to?

A portion of that group did, yes. Does the name Mohammed Atta sound familiar to you?

I am half Hungarian/Slovak. My grandfather moved to the USA when he was 17 years old. I don't think he or anyone else on that side of the family was here to do any harm or overthrow anything. He left Slovaka to escape Franz Jozef's military.

Innuendoes

Postby lord of all darkness » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 am

Princess of Taylor wrote:The most horrible thing was seeing people jumping from the building. I think the "official reports" are that no one jumped, but they absolutely did.

That still screws my brain up. I can't imagine what was going through the minds of those poor people. Burn to death or jump from an incredibly high building. Probably why i have such little regard for Islamic terrorists.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:38 am

Princess of Taylor,
I had no idea you lived there. To be able to recall the smells, blows my mind. Awful.
I saw a documentary made by some French company I believe. They were there to follow rookie firemen throught their training and first year on the job. When they were in the World Trade Center you could hear the sounds of the bodies crashing onto the pavement. I couldn't get it out of my mind for the longest time.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby ice on fire » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:40 am

PoT, I found it quite emtional reading your posts here. I am not sure if I ever read more poignant posts in this part of QOL. You have given me much to think about.

ice on fire

Postby JLP » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:16 am

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:How many Americans have died in the USA at the hands of Muslim terrorists post 9/11? The way some go on you would think it was thousands upon thousands.

How many Muslim civilians have died at the hands of Americans in Iraq post 9/11? That is many thousands.

Sorry Inny but when you infer that Muslims are in the USA purely to blow up buildings and kill innocent people you are really talking rubbish.
I am sorry you think that because you have mistaken everything I said, then post what you *think* I said, then judge me for your and everyone else's mistake.

Please do not suggest I made a mistake. It is quite clear what was written and I certainly do not think I or anyone else has misinterpreted what you meant. If you meant the muslim extremists then you could quite easily have posted that instead of generalising.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Princess of Taylor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, like I said before, some of the memories are so vivid, it's like it was yesterday, but sometimes when I talk about it (or in this case type about it), I feel like I'm telling a story about somebody else, like it couldn't possibly have happened to me in my life. But then as I start to remember, more and more details come back to me (hence the several lengthy posts here). Usually I just don't think about it at all, but every year as the anniversary gets closer, some of it starts to creep back into my brain. Very surreal.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Princess of Taylor wrote:Yeah, like I said before, some of the memories are so vivid, it's like it was yesterday, but sometimes when I talk about it (or in this case type about it), I feel like I'm telling a story about somebody else, like it couldn't possibly have happened to me in my life. But then as I start to remember, more and more details come back to me (hence the several lengthy posts here). Usually I just don't think about it at all, but every year as the anniversary gets closer, some of it starts to creep back into my brain. Very surreal.

There is a Tom Clancy novel which has a Japanese pilot of a jumbo jet crashing into the Capitol building. When 9/11 happened it was something that popped into my mind.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby ice on fire » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Princess of Taylor wrote:Yeah, like I said before, some of the memories are so vivid, it's like it was yesterday, but sometimes when I talk about it (or in this case type about it), I feel like I'm telling a story about somebody else, like it couldn't possibly have happened to me in my life. But then as I start to remember, more and more details come back to me (hence the several lengthy posts here). Usually I just don't think about it at all, but every year as the anniversary gets closer, some of it starts to creep back into my brain. Very surreal.

I hope that you don't mind me saying so, I do understand it and you are a very brave person :bigups: .

ice on fire

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:38 pm

JLP wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:[Sorry Inny but when you infer that Muslims are in the USA purely to blow up buildings and kill innocent people you are really talking rubbish[/b].
I am sorry you think that because you have mistaken everything I said, then post what you *think* I said, then judge me for your and everyone else's mistake.

Please do not suggest I made a mistake. It is quite clear what was written and I certainly do not think I or anyone else has misinterpreted what you meant. If you meant the muslim extremists then you could quite easily have posted that instead of generalising.

And you just did it again. :-| It is only clear to you because that's what you think I would say, because you don't understand me. Me. Not what I write. Me.

I made the mistake, again, of getting on here before I ate and posted in haste because people were still online. I wanted to continue the discussion yesterday and I wanted to hurry and answer before everyone left. My mistake. I'll never make it again.

Oh and thank you so much for letting me know what everyone on the entire board KNOWS I said, too. I guess you are all a group of mind readers, now.

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Oh and thank you so much for letting me know what everyone on the entire board KNOWS I said, too. I guess you are all a group of mind readers, now.

I'm a bit confused - surely everyone does know what you said, because everyone can read all the posts in this thread? I don't understand why people would need to be mind-readers to do that :?

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 pm

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that's winning

You say I let you down
You know it's not like that
If you're so hurt
Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith
But that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason that
you talk behind my back
I used to be among the
crowd You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just
come out once and scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don't you understand
it's not my problem

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
Then you'd know what a
drag it is to see you

Innuendoes

Postby Princess of Taylor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Okay, Innuendoes, you are being more than a little ridiculous right now. You've come into this thread, made numerous posts that many people, including some who have absolutely no history with you (positive or negative) or opinion of you (positive or negative) whatsoever (i.e. me) have construed in a particular way. I've already requested that you clarify your point, because as I stated, I was sure I was misinterpreting your post.

Now, rather than just saying whatever the hell it was you were originally trying to say, you come in, drag up seemingly old arguments, talk about what newspapers you read and who your ancestors are, say you're hungry, and quote random, what I can only assume are, song lyrics saying that everyone is being mean to you, etc.

If you have a point, please make it. The rest of us are having an interesting and emotional conversation on this particular topic and you are more than welcome to join in.

If you don't have a point, just knock it off and find another thread to post in.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Innuendoes wrote:You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that's winning

You say I let you down
You know it's not like that
If you're so hurt
Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith
But that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason that
you talk behind my back
I used to be among the
crowd You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just
come out once and scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don't you understand
it's not my problem

I wish that for just one time
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
Then you'd know what a
drag it is to see you

Bob Dylan, damm fime songwriter. :)
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Princess of Taylor wrote:Okay, Innuendoes, you are being more than a little ridiculous right now. You've come into this thread, made numerous posts that many people, including some who have absolutely no history with you (positive or negative) or opinion of you (positive or negative) whatsoever (i.e. me) have construed in a particular way. I've already requested that you clarify your point, because as I stated, I was sure I was misinterpreting your post.

Now, rather than just saying whatever the hell it was you were originally trying to say, you come in, drag up seemingly old arguments, talk about what newspapers you read and who your ancestors are, say you're hungry, and quote random, what I can only assume are, song lyrics saying that everyone is being mean to you, etc.

If you have a point, please make it. The rest of us are having an interesting and emotional conversation on this particular topic and you are more than welcome to join in.

If you don't have a point, just knock it off and find another thread to post in.

There is no clarification needed though. It was clearly stated that a certain group did not go to the USA to overthrow the government. Which surely means anouther certain group have gone to the USA to overthrow the government. Not of course taking on board the mention of people blowing themselves up etc.

Which is total bollocks of course, unless I missed the news reports of the suicide bombers in the USA post 9/11.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World