The person and the artist (sexual harassment et al)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The person and the artist (sexual harassment et al)

Postby icy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Simon wrote:Indeed... I guess almost nobody would have expected this from Spacey...

However: Please all bear in mind that nothing has been proven, nobody has been judged guilty... all we have is an apology by Spacey even though he allegedly does not recall anything.
Yes, lots of people now accuse him, but that's all... accusations... Even though these are horrible accusations, we should not forget that accused people should be deemed innocent until proven guilty.

I never would have expected that. I didn't even know about hm being gay. I've been following his career for years, always one of my favorites. Right now, I don't know if I can watch the Shipping News again, as you might know, that's a favorite book and film for me.
I'm hoping what is said about him isn't true. Then again, I hope no one could lie about such things, but that's a whole other topic.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Interesting topic....I guess I don't have a big problem with separating the art from the artist. For one thing, I'm a pretty big fan of pro wrestling and I never really was bothered too much about that sort of thing. Like, I've always heard various stuff about Shawn Michaels basically being a total dick behind the scenes, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still one of my all-time favorites, and I'll go back and watch some of his old matches any time I can.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby icy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:00 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Interesting topic....I guess I don't have a big problem with separating the art from the artist. For one thing, I'm a pretty big fan of pro wrestling and I never really was bothered too much about that sort of thing. Like, I've always heard various stuff about Shawn Michaels basically being a total dick behind the scenes, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still one of my all-time favorites, and I'll go back and watch some of his old matches any time I can.

I don't follow celebrities personal lives very much at all. I guess that is why I was so shocked when news broke about Bill Cosby for example.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Spacey's sexuality has been an open secret for years. There are frequent references to it in comedy and film, including 'Bruno', in which the lead character (who is gay) decides to try to convert to heterosexuality because all successful actors are straight, e.g. Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kevin Spacey.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:05 pm

A few years ago it was pointed out to me that Kevin Spacey got "mugged" apparently "walking his dog" on Hamstead Heath at about two o'clock in the morning.

It was then added "Who the fuck walks a dog at two o'clock in the morning, in a place that's renowned throughout the whole of London for being "the" place for cottaging?"
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Roger wrote:Spacey's sexuality has been an open secret for years. There are frequent references to it in comedy and film, including 'Bruno', in which the lead character (who is gay) decides to try to convert to heterosexuality because all successful actors are straight, e.g. Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kevin Spacey.

I thought Bruno was satire, shock value if you will. Tabloids I don't pay much attention with, I think it's scum how they dig for info, true or not. Elton John sued a tabloid a few years back and won. His career bounced back. I don't think Bill Cosby's can.
Spacey was a fine actor. But I don't think he will be remembered for that now.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:13 pm

It's very difficult to try and draw lines when you're talking about celebrity, and how much the draw of celebrity makes "normal" people go further than they would, if that person wasn't famous.

If we're talking about those famous people taking "advantage" of people by using their fame, then I doubt there's many celebs who are totally innocent. There'll be some people who've crossed lines, and as many more again who have been within a whisker of crossing the same lines.

For example, can "you" tell the difference between someone aged 5840 days, and someone aged 5850 days? Those ten days difference can be the difference between what is considered concensual sex and statutory rape.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Spacey has made that grey area a lot clearer by making no attempt to get consent from his underage victim.

Incidentally (in the UK) it’s only DEFINITELY statutory rape if the younger party is under 13. Between 13 and 16 there are legal loopholes, especially if it was consensual and the girl objectively looked significantly older than she was.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Previous

Return to Views Of The World