.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Roger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am

I think we’re seeing a shift in the way we use social media.I personally have pretty much shut down my Facebook (I keep having to reactivate it to uncouple it from other services - it’s alarming how incidiously it has woven itself into everyday life). Not doing anything wrong only goes half way to ensuring an easy life, because a false allegation of any kind can cause huge disruption for months or even years whilst it’s being cleared up. Facebook just leaves too many possibilities open. Likewise here - it’s no secret that I’m getting sick of this place, but I’m also increasingly worried about the possibility of online life and real life crossing over, hence my efforts to distance myself a bit from the username that many people had associated with a real life human (ie me).

Things will get very messy and then they’ll become normalised. The current batch of politicians are mostly old enough to have grown up pre-social media, but the next generation will weather a perfect storm of social media upbringing AND relative naivety. I read a point somewhere that naked photos of 2040’s prime minister are already on someone’s phone.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby AlaRegularis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

JLP wrote:
AlaRegularis wrote:I posted in this thread yesterday, but now I can't seem to find the post. Deleted by moderators?


It was.


Why, if I may ask? I thought the post was in line with the subject and name of the thread.
 
AlaRegularis
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby sacko » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 214
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Roger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

sacko wrote:
i hear you.

that said I recommend having a facebook account.

my facebook account only exists as an empty "official" account. should someone make a fake account and say it's me, i can then show my official one and debunk it. my only friends are family and no one else. privacy is maxed out.

and i think you and me are on the same plane, regarding our user accounts. I started by systematically deleting my posts in the old account (i think we all know what that account was, it was never a secret), and now i've switched to a new username altogether. I plan on switching usernames on a regular basis from now on. say, ever year or so. having a "fixed" online identity isn't good. it can be a dead weight that follows you around.


I’m not particularly worried about anything I’ve ever said here - I think I can defend pretty much all of it. What concerns me is that it probably wouldn’t be that difficult to find out my real life identity, but I think I’ve hopefully tightened that up as much as I can now.

Unfortunately it’s a genie that’s impossible to put back in the bottle completely. You might remember around May of this year - I wasn’t posting at all, but someone claimed I was, and did so using my real name. Now I was actually 6189m above sea level when some of the relevant posts had been made, so it really couldn’t have been me, but that’s not the point. And the posts I was accused of making were no big deal really. But it spooked me a bit, because I realised that as long as anyone knows my name, they can accuse me of anything, without any evidence, even if I’m not even aware at the time! And depending on how such an accusation is made, it could be hugely damaging to me for quite some time whilst waiting for the facts to be established. I had no choice but to briefly come back to post in the strongest of terms that I couldn’t allow such accusations, even though they were essentially fairly trivial, to go unchallenged.

Like you, my Facebook is now just a very small number of people and with maximum privacy settings. I want to deactivate it again soon but I had to reactivate it recently because I was using Airbnb. I need to find a way to uncouple the accounts. Apologies to anyone here who thought I’d culled them!
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby sacko » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am

.
Last edited by sacko on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 214
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 pm

So this sounds like farmers and ranchers should be run off their land to create National Forest land for people to hunt, fish, hike and watch birds. Meanwhile, their cattle and other livestock can die and the ranchers, who are often 3rd generation on these lands, have to get out and go do what? If I had been a rancher all my life, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was kicked off the land that I and my ancestors had farmed for at least 3 generations. Nor would I probably qualify for work anywhere else.

Just like the rest of what is happening, here that isn't good, healthcare for instance, too bad, get off, get out, and we don't care if you die as long as we get what we want.
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief
 
Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 10098
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 470 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby JLP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am

Breaking news. The rest of the world will now be recognising Moscow as the capital of the USA :lol:
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby fairydandy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Roger wrote:
I’m not particularly worried about anything I’ve ever said here - I think I can defend pretty much all of it. What concerns me is that it probably wouldn’t be that difficult to find out my real life identity, but I think I’ve hopefully tightened that up as much as I can now.

Unfortunately it’s a genie that’s impossible to put back in the bottle completely. You might remember around May of this year - I wasn’t posting at all, but someone claimed I was, and did so using my real name. Now I was actually 6189m above sea level when some of the relevant posts had been made, so it really couldn’t have been me, but that’s not the point. And the posts I was accused of making were no big deal really. But it spooked me a bit, because I realised that as long as anyone knows my name, they can accuse me of anything, without any evidence, even if I’m not even aware at the time! And depending on how such an accusation is made, it could be hugely damaging to me for quite some time whilst waiting for the facts to be established. I had no choice but to briefly come back to post in the strongest of terms that I couldn’t allow such accusations, even though they were essentially fairly trivial, to go unchallenged.

Like you, my Facebook is now just a very small number of people and with maximum privacy settings. I want to deactivate it again soon but I had to reactivate it recently because I was using Airbnb. I need to find a way to uncouple the accounts. Apologies to anyone here who thought I’d culled them!


I never knew any of this!

Well, you must be wondering who it is/was, well it wasn't me! :shock:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8204
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 pm

.
Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sacko
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 214
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby JLP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I find it very sad that people would do something like that to another poster. Sure we all get pissed off with each other at times and I would imagine if someone said some of the things here to someone's face, they might end up being thumped.

But some people simply cannot let sleeping dogs lie. Although some people do get on my tits at times, and vice versa, I would still happily sit in a bar with them and have a beer or three. As long as it is not that Belgian piss sacko and action harp on about.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:52 pm

sacko wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I never knew any of this!

Well, you must be wondering who it is/was, well it wasn't me! :shock:


me neither. only a psycho would do such a thing. which, sad to say, QOL isn't free of apparently. sick bastards they are.

i guess i'm in the "opposite" camp, but it's all harmless baiting. i dont have the time, energy or twisted psychoworks to do that. to whoever the asshole is: please do not ever talk to me again


I’ve possibly made it sound more dramatic than it was!

This was just someone claiming I was someone else. It wasn’t actually a big deal. But it spooked me because I realised that I couldn’t control what I was accused of and that such accusations could in theory be levelled directly at my real life identity and there’d be very little I could do. The guy I was accused of being wasn’t saying anything controversial so it was no big deal. But I made it very clear that it wasn’t me at least twice, and he said he didn’t believe me, and he certainly used my first name at one point.

I remember being sat in a restaurant outside a 4000 year old Buddhist stupa, googling cease and desist notices. I felt it needed to be done to draw a line in the sand, but I also found the irony quite amusing :P
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby JLP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Pretty sure I know who you mean now.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10610
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah. I don’t think the guy was being particularly malicious. He probably genuinely believed what he was saying. But I just remember logging in for the first time in around 2 weeks and realising I was fighting a battle I didn’t even know I was in! And imagine if he’d accused me of being someone who had then gone on to do something illegal. I might not even have known about it until I got a knock on the door or a letter in the post on expensive paper from Manchester!
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby fairydandy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Roger wrote:
I’ve possibly made it sound more dramatic than it was!

This was just someone claiming I was someone else. It wasn’t actually a big deal. But it spooked me because I realised that I couldn’t control what I was accused of and that such accusations could in theory be levelled directly at my real life identity and there’d be very little I could do. The guy I was accused of being wasn’t saying anything controversial so it was no big deal. But I made it very clear that it wasn’t me at least twice, and he said he didn’t believe me, and he certainly used my first name at one point.

I remember being sat in a restaurant outside a 4000 year old Buddhist stupa, googling cease and desist notices. I felt it needed to be done to draw a line in the sand, but I also found the irony quite amusing :P


So he thought you had an alias, is that what you mean?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8204
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: trump is an asshole

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Roger wrote:
I’ve possibly made it sound more dramatic than it was!

This was just someone claiming I was someone else. It wasn’t actually a big deal. But it spooked me because I realised that I couldn’t control what I was accused of and that such accusations could in theory be levelled directly at my real life identity and there’d be very little I could do. The guy I was accused of being wasn’t saying anything controversial so it was no big deal. But I made it very clear that it wasn’t me at least twice, and he said he didn’t believe me, and he certainly used my first name at one point.

I remember being sat in a restaurant outside a 4000 year old Buddhist stupa, googling cease and desist notices. I felt it needed to be done to draw a line in the sand, but I also found the irony quite amusing :P


So he thought you had an alias, is that what you mean?


He thought I was Capt Den Ronson! He’s a nice guy, but we’re different people.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests